• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Internet Dropping

Zenia

My laptop just started this on Sunday... it will be going fine for a little bit and then all of a sudden it will drop to 'local access only' or it will drop everything all together. Meanwhile, my desktop (the one I am on now) will be running just fine. No disconnects or anything. I am not sure what is wrong, but if anyone has some suggestions, it would be nice.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525, running Windows Vista. I am not sure if any other info is needed, but if there is, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

It is making it very frustrating to stream videos. >____<

Onnes

How are the laptop and desktop connected to the internet, e.g. direct wired connection, wired router, wireless router, etc? Also, are you using the same kind of firewall and antivirus on each?

Onnes

Since your modem is also acting as a wireless access point, it probably has all the features you'd normally find in a standalone router--but since the desktop works fine the modem likely isn't the problem. Can you hook up the laptop using a wired connection? That would tell you whether or not it is a problem with the wireless adapter.

Onnes

A busted wireless card isn't that big of a problem. You can buy a replacement card for ~$20 and swap it in.

thoron

I hope ist got nothing to do with model itself, cause since about sunday for me as well I've had issues with wi-fi connections dropping as well, it drops once a day in the evening, then comes back about 30 seconds to a minute later. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5010 by the way.

Also, for me at least it isn't such that the connection is dropped all together, it just switches to limited or restricted mode.

Last edited:

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Try asking around within your friends/acquaintances if you can borrow a USB wireless dongle (hurr dongle) or any other kind of external wireless adapter you can hook up to your laptop and test. It'd be good to help narrow it down.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Seconding the dongle recommendation. Replacing parts in a laptop often isn't as easy as replacing parts in a desktop, and that's assuming it's even possible.

"Internet dropping" sounds like a polite epithet for a forum user.

FTFY

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
S

Sar

Hah! I can try that with the USB wireles thing (is it really called a 'dongle'? lol) that I have on the desktop to connect to the wireless. :) I will try that out tomorrow sometime, but for now... sleep.

Any progress with the dongle?