• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Interspecies Relationships and Breeding

2oodles

Imagine a weird monkey human hybrid species. I used to think about inseminating a monkey for science.

David Drake

Representative of Naboo
I don't have like a serious lore thing with this stuff, so interspecies doesn't bother me and just makes as much sense as any two different people falling for each other.

Sylwings

I'm a little concrete.

(How do you feel about it?) I have no problem in it.as long as it's something both want.
(And just for fun; what about your personal fursona or original character? Would they be able to breed with any species, or only their own?) Yes no problem in it.

Aika the manokit

Adorable fisherman
Well, if Ricky were to mate with a fox, it's 50/50 on either a folf or a full fox

With a wolf it's 50/50 wolf or folf.

Ricky is a folf but is predominantly a wolf in appearance.

SabreMutt

I definitely support interspecies relationships.

My main sona is a hybrid of different species herself, (comprising an original closed species), so she is the result of interspecies mating.

In an anthro setting, I imagine interspecies relationships would be viewed almost the way interracial ones are - for some it's no big deal, for some it's more desirable, and in some societies a little taboo.

I like crossing species and coming up with new and interesting hybrids! Some great traits can only be found on really disparate species but look great in combination.

Cres Moon

The Crook
Interspecies relations can be fun and produce some very interesting character designs, plus some strong characters depending on how you go about writing them. So I don't really see why people are against them, I can kinda see the science part of they just wouldn't be able to breed. But my counter science argument to it is that all anthro's are pretty much humanoids with some slight differences in the genetic code so it would be reasonable to assume they would have the same chromosome numbers and thus be capable of breeding, maybe not reliably but I still think it'd be possible.

Alex C.

Well, biologically i think interspecies breeding could actually work. instead of having most chromosomes having "compressed" genes and 2 chromosomes being the "decompression keys" defining the gender based on the rest of the genome, there could be 3 sets of chromosomes. One defining basic anthropomorfic and biologic features that every anthro animal shares in common, one defining features of the species, and the 2 gender chromosmes.

So, in reproduction the sex cells carry half of the "anthro chromosomes"/sexual chromosomes and all of the species chromosomes. That way, the children can be of one of the parent's species.
(i know it doesn't work that way, they either fuse into one race or they dont breed at all but maybe if unicellular life had evolved in a different way, interspecies breeding couldd be possible)

BlueGrrr

Sketchy Blue funk :P
Fictional world, fictional rules I guess. My son is a big raptor fan and has his own stuff going on there, I don't ask for details as he's my son but he has a raptor wife, three raptor kids with one on the way (he's been a busy boy lol) and that somehow worked. He did get into "Well she has babies like a human and we just...." one time and then went quiet/bright pink. I've got a canine sona I'm cooking up that's reality based but Bluegrrr is more Toony so I feel the rules are a bit more flexable with him.

If Donald Duck can get out of a shower with a towel around his waist and then spend the rest of the time walking around without pants, then a boar can knock up a vixen ;)

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
I don't mind hybrids assuming it makes some sense, even in a furry universe.

Either way I don't mind it much in general, but usually I prefer the Gumball way were if parents are different species their child will be one or the other, but in my case I also add a rare chance of a hybrid.
But if a hybrid breeds there'll never be 3 species in one. That's my main limitation. So no "all the animals" hybrid.

Canis Dirus

Extinct Pleistocene canid
So I don't really see why people are against them,
See the old comics "The Problems With Cross Breeding", "Ups and Downs of Anthropomorphic Relationships" and "Furry Problems". There it is explained in sufficient (i.e. NSFW) detail. ;)

some slight differences in the genetic code so it would be reasonable to assume they would have the same chromosome numbers and thus be capable of breeding, maybe not reliably but I still think it'd be possible.
Ahem. IRL it's not just genome, but different anatomy (for example: there are four different types of placenta), different biochemistry, different physiology… and all at once. So, experiments on sheep embryo transfer to goats resulted in the death of most embryos at an early stage.

C

CrookedCroc

Tfw no squirrel gf

I just want to have cute abominations with someone smh
unnamed (9).jpg

M

ManicTherapsid

My fursona is a thrinaxodon but has a Jackal as a GF. Lol

Cres Moon

The Crook
See the old comics "The Problems With Cross Breeding", "Ups and Downs of Anthropomorphic Relationships" and "Furry Problems". There it is explained in sufficient (i.e. NSFW) detail. ;)

Ahem. IRL it's not just genome, but different anatomy (for example: there are four different types of placenta), different biochemistry, different physiology… and all at once. So, experiments on sheep embryo transfer to goats resulted in the death of most embryos at an early stage.
We're talking about anthromorphic animals with more human like traits than their animal counterparts. It would reasonably inferred that those biochemical, and physiological differences would be minimum. Now if you want to talk about the shape of the sex organs for different species I believe that wouldn't cause as much problems with breeding as you would think. Real animals are different from anthromorphical ones like the ones seen in the furry fandom.

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
Ooooo

I love the idea of interspecies relationships.. :3

IRL, I call my boyfriend a bear (he's not a furry)...so if we have kids, like..they would be wildcat-bears..?

Or...like a son would be a Bear, and a daughter would be a wildcat like me..? o_O

In FA..I May have a particular interest in a particular dragon-wolf (solely in an acting/role-playing sense).

..but...what on Earth kind of monstrosity that would make..!? A dragon-wolf wildcat hybrid? Or just a complete abomination creature of some sort..