• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Interspecies relationships

Aika the manokit

Adorable fisherman
If the world was populated by anthro animals, do you think interspecies relationships would be acceptable or would they be persecuted like homosexuals are in our world?

PS: Im a straight, catholic man who supports gay rights and gay lives

Imo, It would be a tad strange/unpreffered but nothing illegal or persecuted for.
As for if they wanted children?
Roll a dice,
If it’s odd, it’s partner A’s species
Roll an even, it’s partner B’s
(Hypothetical dice! :p)

Last edited:

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
If there was persecution among anthro animal characters, I'd imagine that it would be more like racism than homophobia.
That's what I was thinking.

Anyway, if anthro animals were normal, I'd imagine it wouldn't be all that hated in society, considering racism is, while definitely not nonexistent, still a very obsolete mindset today.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
To add a little more depth to this thread, what if a herbivore falls in love with a carnivore?
Is reminded of Nick and Judy
I like to think that in anthro worlds, real animals and anthros are seperate from one another or that they're just all vegan.

Shadow of Bucephalus

Banned
Banned
If the world was populated by anthro animals, do you think interspecies relationships would be acceptable or would they be persecuted like homosexuals are in our world?

PS: Im a straight, catholic man who supports gay rights and gay lives
Given the degree of bullshit in human society as it is?
Add anthros to the mix, in ALL the varied species/forms they present?...

I'd say all-out global warfare would be the only result.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Persecuted like they are in Asia, Africa, the Middle-East and other non-Western countries? I'd argue yes. Even more so. Here in the West? No. We have "equal before the law" laws for a reason. We don't need more laws than that.

If the world suddenly got populated by such species? Yes, there would be speciesism going a lot of ways: Human towards predators, predators towards herbivores, herbivores towards humans, you name it.

If it was something that had been a fact for tens of thousands of years? We'd have intolerance for sure, but people over time adapt to their social circumstances.

And I find it kinda dumb to argue from a gay standpoint as they have been protected under equal laws for many years already. That however doesn't stop someone from being a cunt, as you will find cunts everywhere and from every group and demographic. Being a cunt doesn't make you homophobic, as the word "phobia" is rooted in "irrational fear". It makes you a cunt and should be socially scrutinized for it.

As for the relationships themselves, yes, they would form due to how basic emotions work, if they indeed have such basic emotions. It would probably be taboo at first, but it wouldn't be illegal. Once people/anthros get used to living next to each other, those taboos will vanish over time and people will go from "that's taboo" to "Meh, IDGAF."

RearmedDreamer

Perpetual Dreamer
Persecuted like they are in Asia, Africa, the Middle-East and other non-Western countries? I'd argue yes. Even more so. Here in the West? No. We have "equal before the law" laws for a reason. We don't need more laws than that.

If the world suddenly got populated by such species? Yes, there would be speciesism going a lot of ways: Human towards predators, predators towards herbivores, herbivores towards humans, you name it.

If it was something that had been a fact for tens of thousands of years? We'd have intolerance for sure, but people over time adapt to their social circumstances.

And I find it kinda dumb to argue from a gay standpoint as they have been protected under equal laws for many years already. That however doesn't stop someone from being a cunt, as you will find cunts everywhere and from every group and demographic. Being a cunt doesn't make you homophobic, as the word "phobia" is rooted in "irrational fear". It makes you a cunt and should be socially scrutinized for it.

As for the relationships themselves, yes, they would form due to how basic emotions work, if they indeed have such basic emotions. It would probably be taboo at first, but it wouldn't be illegal. Once people/anthros get used to living next to each other, those taboos will vanish over time and people will go from "that's taboo" to "Meh, IDGAF."
Very, very well put.

*thumbs in his direction* Exactly what he said.^

David Drake

Representative of Naboo

Phobia is actually the appropriate term for it, because most people act tbe way they do towards these groups out of a deep-seeded and sometimes even barely conscious if at all fear. Fear of what the existence of this group will do to people and societies, fear of possibly being in this group you were brought up considering "less than," etc.

It's a nice thought that "There are laws now so it doesn't matter anymore," and I used to think like that, but it's simply not true. Just because tbe law is on the books doesn't mean that people enforce it properly, or don't find ways around it or bullshit justifications. Discrimination is still systemic. Things have gotten better, yes, but it's been a slow process, it's still hardly completely there, and it could all be undone fairly quickly especially with the rise of pretty horrible people gaining power all over the world.

And also, for the record, "The West" as you refer to it no longer exists if it ever really did in the first place since what people usually describe it as (and these people are usually describing it in the context of "protecting it" from something in an at best vaguely prejudicial manner) is an amalgamation of ideas and philosophies from all over the world.

So, with all of that in mind, to answer tbe original poster: Anthro Animals would probably face the same history of all marginalized groups and classes - prejudice and othering, eventually fighting for rights and securing mainstream and legal acceptance while still fighting against systemic oppression.

And interspecies relationships would face a stigma more akin to that of interracial relationships than LGBTQ. And you can bet your patoot I would happily settle down with a cute anthro girl if I got the chance.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I see two options for story telling that are coherent.

1) Families are just 1 species; different animals can't have children together. Like in Zootopia or Arthur.

2) The species of the children has nothing to do with the animals their parents are. Like in Spongebob, where Mr Krab's daughter is a whale. The animal aspect is just a short-hand for the character that the story teller wants to portray.

Both of those options have some very clear story telling devices.

Faexie

Rara for short :)

1) Families are just 1 species; different animals can't have children together. Like in Zootopia or Arthur.

2) The species of the children has nothing to do with the animals their parents are. Like in Spongebob, where Mr Krab's daughter is a whale. The animal aspect is just a short-hand for the character that the story teller wants to portray.

Isn't mr Krabs daughter adopted?

Also it could work in the same way interspecies breeding work in real life. Some species can't have kids together, while other can but their kids will most likely be sterile, like with horses and donkeys or lions and tigers (wich would probably bring a huge debate about wether or not interspecies breeding is morally acceptable)

Obviously multi species families could happen with adoption or with two families merging together.

It could also be like in Bojack Horseman where the baby is of either species of their parents, but that's not scientifically accurate...

Last edited:

David Drake

Representative of Naboo

And unless there was a comment by one of the writers I don't know about, Zootopia never brought up whether mixed-specie offspring was possible or not.

Fallowfox

And unless there was a comment by one of the writers I don't know about, Zootopia never brought up whether mixed-specie offspring was possible or not.

Whether or not it's possible, God knows Nick and Judy will have tried.

I think it would just serve to make it more difficult to make a coherent plot, so it's just avoided entirely.
A bit like how Monkeys would be too close to humans for the animal-tropolis vibe to be convincing, so they just omit them from existence.

David Drake

Representative of Naboo
Whether or not it's possible, God knows Nick and Judy will have tried.

I think it would just serve to make it more difficult to make a coherent plot, so it's just avoided entirely.
A bit like how Monkeys would be too close to humans for the animal-tropolis vibe to be convincing, so they just omit them from existence.

I don't doubt it. It's just never been confirmed or denied is all I'm saying. And I doubt Disney will let anything of that nature be revealed one way or another for obvious reasons.

Fallowfox

I don't doubt it. It's just never been confirmed or denied is all I'm saying. And I doubt Disney will let anything of that nature be revealed one way or another for obvious reasons.

I think we're probably firmly in 'babies are delivered by storks' territory with disney anyway lol.

David Drake

Representative of Naboo
I think we're probably firmly in 'babies are delivered by storks' territory with disney anyway lol.

They seem to be moving away from that but we'll see if Tim Burton's Dumbo keeps that bit (and I mean, I love Tim to death, even his less-liked films I enjoy, but good god who said "Tim Burton's Dumbo" and thought that was a thing people needed?)

Fallowfox

They seem to be moving away from that but we'll see if Tim Burton's Dumbo keeps that bit (and I mean, I love Tim to death, even his less-liked films I enjoy, but good god who said "Tim Burton's Dumbo" and thought that was a thing people needed?)

Perhaps the same person who decided the world needed Abe Lincoln; Vampire Slayer.

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
I mean, I'd imagine it's fine aslong as it's like prey with prey and pred with pred, but if interspecies relationship happens and it's pred with prey some people may feel concerned maybe, but that may be if it was zootropia style, if it was my version which I explain more below, some people may not care unless they're "racist" to that species.

But I'd imagine in most cases interspecies breeding should work, but that's mainly if it's like all species are anthro and are like around the size of humans, but may be smaller/taller than others if it's from a species, mainly so that no giant elephants could crush a tiny mouse, and instead it's just a few feet difference, and in this case sometimes the child can be a the father or the mother's species or in very rare cases a hybrid, some species may be more common and if a hybrid breeds then usually it's whatever the father's species was that may be put in for the hybrid or for the baby... I could go on about this tbh.

Otherwise if it's like Zootropia I'd say some species could have interspecies children, but if the mother is too small then it can't happen to avoid them bursting from something like a female rabbit trying to have a baby elephant. Males would be affected too since if they're too small then their sperm may not be effective enough to get into the egg anyway. But hey at least that means no risk of children.

ILike in Spongebob, where Mr Krab's daughter is a whale.
I still have a head canon that Mr. Krab actually got it on with a whale.

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
Redacted by staff
Except in this case the baby may not even be fully developed.
Or well I'd also imagine the female wouldn't even take the larger male's sperm anyway so it may not happen... But yes somewhat like Alien.

Last edited by a moderator: