• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Intous protective Sheets for the active area

Sammacha

The one and only
Hi,
so my old tablet pen is starting to wear out, while i found I am still able to order some new nibs for it I was also thinking that maybe I would upgrade to a newer and possibly larger tablet.

On that note, the new intous tablets don't come with a protective cover like the older models did.

I was told by Wacom that they can replace the active area when the screen gets scratched up but, I am one of those people who would be quite frustrated to be without a tablet for around a month. ( He told me it takes approx 10-15 days before they work on and return you tablet + shipping time to and from, but it takes up to a month before they even return it to you)

So I was wondering, has anyone here tried any of the after market protectors?
They say that the pressure issues arent much of a factor when using them, they feel good (pen doesn't feel tacky) and that it can save the pen nibs. They cost about $20, which to me is totally worth it if they work!

My older tablet has been great, and I actually haven't needed to change the pen nib in over 8 years of good use. It still works its just a teeny bit worn, the older nibs were very durable.
I can definitely tell that the plastic protector it came with served a great purpose over the years, especially when learning to use the thing. I think it go scratched during the first week but after 8 years it still looks, appears and works like new!

So if you have any Exp with these protectors I would like to know.
Thanks to all who reply.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
on one of my old tablets I just put a cut-out sheet of press-on laminate over the top to protect it. Did wonders! I'm sure those covers are just fine if something as simple as laminate worked for me hehe :]

Sammacha

The one and only
on one of my old tablets I just put a cut-out sheet of press-on laminate over the top to protect it. Did wonders! I'm sure those covers are just fine if something as simple as laminate worked for me hehe :]
Hmm thats a good idea thank you, but does it make the tablet sticky after?
Also do you know how thick the lamination was?
Thanks

Wolfool

This is a good point... I was given a new intuos tab by my partner for Christmas and it's already starting to show signs of its heavy usage. I'm a bit worried it's gonna stop functioning properly but this is what they were designed for so SURELY the damage it only artificial right?? Right?! I may well try this laminate idea just in case...

Sammacha

The one and only
This is a good point... I was given a new intuos tab by my partner for Christmas and it's already starting to show signs of its heavy usage. I'm a bit worried it's gonna stop functioning properly but this is what they were designed for so SURELY the damage it only artificial right?? Right?! I may well try this laminate idea just in case...

Hey Wolfool so you know, Wacom told me they actually replace the active area for free once. So you might want to phone and ask about that ( I spoke to Wacom directly on the phone)

As far as i know, the intous pro, 3,4,5 tablets (the black ones) get scratched fairly easily :(
But, as you say, this is what its used for! So usually its ok, unless you press really hard and create deep scratches which you can feel on the tablet, it should be ok.
There is a noticeable point however, where you can truly feel the wear and tear of it being used.
If you notice some extra drag etc, I highly recommend you getting Wacom to replace it for free and then use some sort of protection afterwards to keep it new and in top shape.
I myself, having scratched my older surface protector, would prefer to buy or put something over top before that happens.

There is also the fact that you pen Nibs will wear much faster on a heavily used surface, so it really does help to add a protector that is cheap and easy to change.

Wacom themselves do not make any protection for the tablet surfaces anymore, but there are aftermarket ones you can purchase. Or, like Zydala said, a type of lamination can be placed over top.
For my anything I buy that costs this much deserve to be taken care of.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
Hmm thats a good idea thank you, but does it make the tablet sticky after?
Also do you know how thick the lamination was?
Thanks

yeah it does leave stickiness, that's why it was just on one of my old tablets I was trying to get a liiiittle more life out of rather than one of the newer tablets I've gotten since. It wasn't very thick but really I think on a wacom you can have a couple millimeters between the pen and the pad before there's interference. So don't worry too much about that. If you want something that won't leave residue then definitely get one of those off-brand protective covers they're better for that

Sammacha

The one and only
yeah it does leave stickiness, that's why it was just on one of my old tablets I was trying to get a liiiittle more life out of rather than one of the newer tablets I've gotten since. It wasn't very thick but really I think on a wacom you can have a couple millimeters between the pen and the pad before there's interference. So don't worry too much about that. If you want something that won't leave residue then definitely get one of those off-brand protective covers they're better for that

Ok thanks so much, Yeah, you can have quite a large gap between the actual surface and the pen surprisingly. The pen is whats determining the pressue so as long as its close and pressure is applied it works.
The one that came with my old model quite thick and you can double it or even triple it without issues. I was hoping the newer models had something similar but a little more updated. O well :(
I also wouldn't want something that catches my hand and peels while I draw, that would be annoying xD

Thanks for the input

Terror-Run

I have a piece of hard clear plastic on top (think it's sold for scrapbooking?), and just tape it on the edges. no loss of pressure sensitivity as I've noticed and stopped getting those annoying grooves in my tablet (and stopped feeling the old ones as well). (it's 5years old now though).

Sammacha

The one and only
I have a piece of hard clear plastic on top (think it's sold for scrapbooking?), and just tape it on the edges. no loss of pressure sensitivity as I've noticed and stopped getting those annoying grooves in my tablet (and stopped feeling the old ones as well). (it's 5years old now though).

Thats a great idea too, but Im not fond of taping things onto my tablet, I move around too much and it would probably come off.
Know what you mean though, mine came with a thick plastic covering and it works just fine.
Thanks for the input