• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is a DAC necessary for gaming computer?

D

Domjoe414

Hey all, so I recently got a LOT of high quality audio files (lossless format, M4A), of classical music. I'd like to enjoy them as much as possible, so the question has come up.
Do I need a DAC (Digital analogue converter) to get proper sound quality? I have nice headphones, and may get nicer ones, so the only limiting quality at this point is my computer's DAC. Is one that I buy likely to improve sound quality much? Currently I'm using a mid range gaming computer with nothing fancy (that I know of) in terms of audio.

ShephardWolf

Metal Misanthrope
A high resolution DAC, especially an amp combo really does help with detail and audio resolution, though whether you'd actually enjoy the playback more is another story, but it will most likely change the sound of the headphones, you might no longer like the way your headphones sound through the device. I would personally see if you can listen and test multiple DACs and headphone amp combos to see which one works the best with your pair of headphones, or several headphones, assuming you have more than one.

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus.
You do not need a good DAC on a gaming computer per say unless you plan on using that computer for critical listening as well. I would recommend, because DAC's get expensive quickly, invest in a good set of headphones first, because they get pricy less quickly compared to a DAC or amp. Then, once you've settled on headphones you like (don't be afraid to have a ton of headphones), test out DAC and amp combos until you find what you like. For headphone recommendations, i have a few. If you're like me, and you're a basshead, AudioTechnica M-50X's/M-40X's or Pioneer SE-MS5T's (my daily usage headphones). If you listen to all types, Samson SR850's are a cheap nice pair of Openbacks. If you like sparkly stuff, cheaper pair of Grado's (e60's)