• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Liberonscien

The question appears simple. However with many seemingly simple topics this question is deceptively complex if one gives the matter some thought. For what does it mean to be a sandwich? Who defines what a sandwich is? Do we invoke the authorities in this matter? If so then which ones? If we do not invoke the authorities then who do we invoke? Do we invoke the dictionary? If so then which one? Why would we invoke the dictionary? Do we go for the common man's definition of a sandwich? If so then what is that definition? Do we invoke the origin of the sandwich? The sandwich was invented when the Earl of Sandwich had a slice of roast beef between two slices of bread. Does a hotdog constitute a sandwich under that structure? There are many questions that could be asked here.

LameFox

If you wanted a hotdog but you asked someone for a sandwich and listed the ingredients of a hotdog, I think you'd be disappointed with the result. Not, like, a lot—I mean, how high can your standards be if you wanted a hotdog—but still, disappointed.

Kinare

RAWR
Initial reaction is no, a hotdog is not a sandwich, but then ya got things like sub sandwiches getting in there complicating it because they use the same shape of bread and I'm just like... Ya know, I don't really care enough to think about it that much. Taste good? I eat. Not taste good? I no eat.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
I'm a hot dog
profile pic fire.jpg
I'm not a sandwich >:V

MissNook

For what does it mean to be a sandwich? Who defines what a sandwich is? Do we invoke the authorities in this matter? If so then which ones?
I'll invoke wikipedia since it's both a dictionary and a cultural product. So yeah, a hot dog is a sandwich.

Oh... I thought I would look at the images that came and found that one XD People do think a lot about sandwiches... do they not? (note that the hotdog is still a sandwich :D )

Credit to matttomic on twitter for this awesome diagram XD

TheCops

ROAD ROLLER DA
Not sure, just come on down to the police station! We got hotdog sandwiches and a 3 year vacation destination!

I

Infrarednexus

I don't mind giving the hotdog community sandwich status

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
A list of true fax:

A hot dog is a tube of meat.
A hot dog has a tube of meat.
A tube of meat is a sausage.
A tube of meat is bologna.
Bologna is a sausage.
Bologna is a hot dog.
Bologna sandwiches are a thing.
Hot dogs are bologna sandwiches.
That went in a different direction then what I was expecting.

Nax04

How you doing
If you eat a cold hotdog would it still be called hotdog or just dog?, or maybe colddog?

Liberonscien

If you eat a cold hotdog would it still be called hotdog or just dog?, or maybe colddog?
Good question.

The answers to the question "is a hotdog a sandwich?" really illuminates what people are like. I think the people that don't care about the answer are a more practical sort. Those that are willing to debate the answer are more detail orientated.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
Let's go with the actual definition of the word "sandwich": "an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal."

So a hot dog is typically made of a single piece of bread, so it isn't typically a sandwich. But if you separate the bun in two parts (or use another type of sandwich bread), it becomes a sandwich.

Groggy

Hm!
Well, it is meat between two slices of bread and often includes cheese and condiments. It's a sandwich in my book.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Maybe? I can technically count it as one even though I won't describe it as such.

Not the weirdest explanation at least. I actually heard one source claim a hotdog counted as a taco. ("Starch on 3 sides" being their excuse. Yeah, I think it's a dumb explanation too, especially since they also called pop tarts and fried chicken "calzones", but that's a story for another day.)

Tazzzz

‘Hey, who let this guy on the Internet?’
Am I the only one who views a sandwich as ‘something between two slices of bread that doesn’t already have a specific term for it’?

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
Am I the only one who views a sandwich as ‘something between two slices of bread that doesn’t already have a specific term for it’?

Oh meowies! Seems here's someone who thinks in the same way as Terry!

다운로드.jpg

*naughty smile*

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Let's go with the actual definition of the word "sandwich": "an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal."

So a hot dog is typically made of a single piece of bread, so it isn't typically a sandwich. But if you separate the bun in two parts (or use another type of sandwich bread), it becomes a sandwich.

Technically a sandwhich doesn't exist until it's eaten then. ;3

If a tree falls in a forest...