• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is anyone anxious when they out in public places/order food

BadRoy

Snake awakens
I don't have a problem as long as I'm sure I can eat the food.

I hate to be the 'is this vegan' guy, but dammit I'm hungry.

Joey

People, the only way to deal with this, is dealing with this, so fucking deal with it, if you want to stop being introvert, anxious, anti-social, timid, ect, deal with it, force yourself to it, just go outside and talk to people, it's the only fucking way

Does any of you also feel anxious talking over the phone too? It's a phone! You don't even have to see/know the person you are talking to.

This! Super awkward/timid people make me cringe because I know from experience it's not that fuckin hard to snap out of it over time. C'mon guys...

being an introvert is just apart of my personality as far as anxiety goes social anxiety is a legit condition and they cant just stop
Except there's Exposure Therapy...

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
I've never had anxiety when out shopping or ordering food. They're in the service industry. Why should I be nervous about what they think of me? Its always been quite the opposite for me anyway. C:

Ever since I've gotten a decent paying job as an adult I've made a game of dressing in blue collar clothing then going into expensive stores or restaurants to shop/eat. If the people there treat me like shit, like I'm too poor to belong, then I don't buy anything or I leave a shitty tip, but if they treat me nicely and give me good service then I'll make a huge purchase and leave like a hundred dollar tip. Its fun to see how different people react.

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
All these introvert people, it's no wonder we're furries are considered socially awkward... I can understand being a little shy but you really have issues just ordering food..? I think that's a lack of confidence if anything.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
People, the only way to deal with this, is dealing with this, so fucking deal with it, if you want to stop being introvert, anxious, anti-social, timid, ect, deal with it, force yourself to it, just go outside and talk to people, it's the only fucking way

Does any of you also feel anxious talking over the phone too? It's a phone! You don't even have to see/know the person you are talking to.
Now now. Don't tell people to work on their faults :V

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
i just hate it when people insist on looking directly into my eyes and not looking away like god damn hypno-toad
Funny thing, I was actually raised to look someone in the eye when I talk to them. That's actually how everyone is around here.

MalletFace

The slave of the Jlfksjlfl
Banned
I'd just like to point out that there's a difference between being shy, which technically isn't a problem, and having an anxiety disorder. If you've got an anxiety disorder, you've no choice but to feel that way without severe effort (and probably medication or hospitalization if you're stubborn enough) and it has become a detriment to your life. If you're shy, you avoid interaction that makes you uncomfortable and probably make life much easier for everyone in doing so.

Also, just because I enjoy flaunting my lexicon, being anti-social is probably the farthest you can get from being timid and it isn't an anxiety disorder.

But to be more on-topic, I find most scenarios involving other people and money so distressing that I'm worried I'll die homeless and starved because I'm unable to handle the interactions. I nearly got sent to the hospital for symptoms of shock (No idea why my heart slowed down in that situation) while talking to a relative once. The internet is pretty much the only place outside of close family I can force myself to be expressive.

jtrekkie

Feathered
People, the only way to deal with this, is dealing with this, so fucking deal with it, if you want to stop being introvert, anxious, anti-social, timid, ect, deal with it, force yourself to it, just go outside and talk to people, it's the only fucking wayDoes any of you also feel anxious talking over the phone too? It's a phone! You don't even have to see/know the person you are talking to.
Is what I'm here for. Yep, that sad.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I used to sweat bullets whenever I had to talk to someone older than me, or speak in front of crowds. I'd get embarrassed, then I'd sweat more, and I'd stutter. My recent jobs helped me overcome this because they all required me to talk to people. I can proudly say my social anxiety is a thing of the past. For those who struggle with it, I can only suggest you grab the fear by the horns and show it who's boss.

Also, introversion shouldn't be confused with social anxiety and anti-social behavior. You can't "fix" introversion because that's just how some people are. I'm an introvert and I do enjoy talking to people, be it strangers or friends at a party. But like all introverts, I value my alone time more than anything, and being around too many people for long tires and frustrates me.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
What exactly is "sad" about it ? I'm an introvert, I don't need other people to be entertained. While extraverts suffer and moan and launch themselves into attention whoring hysteria without company, I can just read a book or play a game all by myself.

I think that is a misconception about extroverts. We are just open to interaction that it doesn't bother us that strangers talk to us and vice versa.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'm an introvert, but I'm also an attention whore/born entertainer.

But, I remember that after about the 2nd day of FC last year, I was so over-stimulated and overwhelmed by all the people and interactions that I actually felt like my skin was on fire, and I had to go take an hour walk around the city, alone, to cool down.

I still enjoyed myself, mind you, but if I go too long without my quiet time, it drains me.

Oh, and Kitsune is right that the best way to overcome your fear of people is to force yourself to interact with people.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
I'm an introvert, but I'm also an attention whore/born entertainer.

But, I remember that after about the 2nd day of FC last year, I was so over-stimulated and overwhelmed by all the people and interactions that I actually felt like my skin was on fire, and I had to go take an hour walk around the city, alone, to cool down.

I still enjoyed myself, mind you, but if I go too long without my quiet time, it drains me.

Oh, and Kitsune is right that the best way to overcome your fear of people is to force yourself to interact with people.

This is normal

AND I HATE NORMALFAGS! Joke. You're good

i just hate it when people insist on looking directly into my eyes and not looking away like god damn hypno-toad

Something I noticed is that I have trouble looking at people only when I'm speaking, but the staring contest is so on when the other mouth starts moving. And chances are, I'm the silent one the vast majority of the time anyway.

Every social interaction is taxing for me because I'm such a big ball of awkward. Ordering food is no problem, though, because I'm a picky eater and I know exactly what I want. So that's good...

Funeral

I had a bit of a problem in high school with social anxiety, but even then they were minute and only sporadic.
If you act like you don't care and have nothing to hide, then they won't care.
They're just trying to get through the day to get a paycheck and have to deal with a bunch of people all day long just like anybody else.
Easier said than done, I know.
But maybe those who do wish to work on it can take small steps at a time by doing little things when you have to interact with other folk like:
-holding your head up high
-standing up straight with your shoulders back
-looking them directly in the eyes every now and then if it's a long conversation
-not quickly looking away when they look at you
-listening to what they say and contribute something back, even if only a few words acknowledging their existence.

Let the fire of confidence burn through you.
You're going to mess up, stutter, say something dumb, and so on.
That's okay.
The hardest part will be to keep working on improving yourself when these mistakes happen.
But I do kind of understand how some of you guys feel on the matter what with how first impressions are, whether we believe it or not, a huge determinant in how that interaction will be in the future be they a friend, enemy, significant other, never spoken to again, and so on.
Thatandeverybodyissokeenontakingpictures,recordingEVERYTHING,andputtingitonline. ;n;

Kinare

RAWR
This topic is pretty specific... am I anxious when out in public or ordering food? I used to be, but not anymore. Now if you go with what the OP says they could have asked, I'm definitely an introvert but I do want to be more extroverted at times, I just can't. I'm only every talkative through text. I listen well, though, voice or face to face.

@ Everyone saying just get over it... come on. Not everyone is good at knowing what to say and how to say it nor do they have people willing and able to help them figure it out. It's a tough job to be on the receiving end of someone who has trouble communicating, so a lot of people just won't put up with it. If it's not an anxiety disorder it can be an personality disorder or the straight up desire to avoid interaction with people. It doesn't make them any less of a human being deserving of respect and common courtesy.

Kitsune Cross

**** that **** now! Bitch
This topic is pretty specific... am I anxious when out in public or ordering food? I used to be, but not anymore. Now if you go with what the OP says they could have asked, I'm definitely an introvert but I do want to be more extroverted at times, I just can't. I'm only every talkative through text. I listen well, though, voice or face to face.

@ Everyone saying just get over it... come on. Not everyone is good at knowing what to say and how to say it nor do they have people willing and able to help them figure it out. It's a tough job to be on the receiving end of someone who has trouble communicating, so a lot of people just won't put up with it. If it's not an anxiety disorder it can be an personality disorder or the straight up desire to avoid interaction with people. It doesn't make them any less of a human being deserving of respect and common courtesy.

So basically, let's just stay sitting alone at home, and never go do anything at all because you don't know what to say? Fine, that will do for some people, but for those who want a little more for themselves, they have to work it out

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
This seems relevant. SFW

On topic, nope, no problems. If I do have a moment of hesitation, it's when I have to order or interact in Finnish. But I'm a social butterfly, I'm outgoing and confident and find that I get along with a wide variety of personalities.
I also hate almost every single person I come into contact with, so there's that.

Distorted

I used to have panic attacks when I went out by myself. It got a little better when I went to college, and even better when I got my first job. But I haven't been out much this year and I've started falling back into old tendencies. I'm horribly awkward when out by myself anyway. Fumbling over my feet and words. I can see people lose patience with me sometimes, so I just try to keep it short and simple. It gets a little easier with practice, but I'm forever an introvert. I'm cool with that though.

Dreaming

Public places are okay, I guess. There's no difference in feelings. Actually I'd say that I feel more comfortable in public places, I dunno how to explain it. Like, you feel less exposed and isolated. You feel like you merge in with everyone else who's around you. Basically nobody's paying attention to you.

I've never really understood how someone can feel so anxious when ordering food, but I guess that's just me. It's as easy as easy can get in a food court.

OT I'd rather die before working in the food industry. holy shit imagine all the different kinds of pricks you'd have to deal with.

Last edited: