• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is Balan Wonderland the next Mighty No.9/Yooka-Laylee?

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
*sigh* because from what I have heard, it is not going so well for that game. It did not go well for the other spiritual successors I mentioned, I either. But then again, the first one I mentioned had some pretty decent spin-offs, in the second one had a decent sequel. Maybe something good will come out of Balan Wonderland eventually?

Stratelier

I don't even know what this game even is.
It's a kid-friendly 3D platformer by Square Enix. The premise is charming, all of the art direction (visuals and soundtrack) is great, and this is its trailer:

One analytical look at any gameplay footage will convey that the design and execution has some pretty DEEP problems. Your character's movement animation doesn't sync with their actual movement speed, they have basically only one gameplay action (mapped to all four face buttons on the controller), and the technical performance isn't up to expectations (e.g. the framerate isn't exactly "bad" but there are little hiccups here and there that detract from the experience).

Jaredthefox92

It's a kid-friendly 3D platformer by Square Enix. The premise is charming, all of the art direction (visuals and soundtrack) is great, and this is its trailer:

One analytical look at any gameplay footage will convey that the design and execution has some pretty DEEP problems. Your character's movement animation doesn't sync with their actual movement speed, they have basically only one gameplay action (mapped to all four face buttons on the controller), and the technical performance isn't up to expectations (e.g. the framerate isn't exactly "bad" but there are little hiccups here and there that detract from the experience).

And that is why I never heard of it.

Baalf

From what I know, it's kind of a pseudo spiritual successor to the Nights franchise, or at least it might have been made by some of the same

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
sigh.

The name is "Barren Wonderland",
the woman in the top hat is a good witch called "Captain Ogre",
AND it's what Madoka Magica and the Persona series are sequels to because people forget that they are both part of Shin Megami Tensei.
(but Madoka Magica's not canon)
The mansion in the intro animation is "Indigo Towers", which the Persona serise calls "The Velvet Room".
The captain doesn't make them sign a contract in this version, which is odd.
Also Kyuubi in Madoka plays the role of the captain in that series.

I think it's great that this old manga is getting a modern reboot.
I'm so glad they kept a lot of the original dark subject matter but going back in time to save the kitten instead of the real ending annoys me.
In the real one she buys a new pet cat to replace the old one.
There's no reason they couldn't have put that in the game.
They KEPT IN the part where the shotgun wife's parents die.

And for the idiots claiming that it's a copy of Mario Oddyssey, do your damn research.
Cappy totally stole the design from the 80's comic.

Baalf

sigh.

The name is "Barren Wonderland",
the woman in the top hat is a good witch called "Captain Ogre",
AND it's what Madoka Magica and the Persona series are sequels to because people forget that they are both part of Shin Megami Tensei.
(but Madoka Magica's not canon)
The mansion in the intro animation is "Indigo Towers", which the Persona serise calls "The Velvet Room".
The captain doesn't make them sign a contract in this version, which is odd.
Also Kyuubi in Madoka plays the role of the captain in that series.

I think it's great that this old manga is getting a modern reboot.
I'm so glad they kept a lot of the original dark subject matter but going back in time to save the kitten instead of the real ending annoys me.
In the real one she buys a new pet cat to replace the old one.
There's no reason they couldn't have put that in the game.
They KEPT IN the part where the shotgun wife's parents die.

And for the idiots claiming that it's a copy of Mario Oddyssey, do your damn research.
Cappy totally stole the design from the 80's comic.

???

sausy1

i'm fine
Yes. The answer is yes.

Baalf

sausy1

i'm fine
Oh wait my bad. I was replying to the thread title of "Is Balan Wonderworld the next Mighty No. 9/Yooka Laylee?"
But, the thing is, Yooka Laylee and Mighty No. 9 ended up in completely different positions.

Yooka Laylee was revamped as a 2D platformer, and that game ended up great.
But, Mighty No. 9 was scrapped and moved on from.
I predict that Balan Wonderworld will also be scrapped and moved on from.

The thing is, Yooka Laylee had tons of missed potential that was ultimately realized in the 2D platformer.
The original game had so much to work with that it made sense to give it another go.
Mighty No. 9 basically had nothing to work with when it was released, and was scrapped as a result.
Balan Wonderworld has character design and one cutscene to work with, and I seriously doubt that SquareEnix
can create a sequel that takes the only two things the game does well and make a full game out of it.
So, I predict that Square will drop the game because there's basically nothing to move on with, and just like
Mighty No. 9, it will be scrapped as a result.

Baalf

Oh wait my bad. I was replying to the thread title of "Is Balan Wonderworld the next Mighty No. 9/Yooka Laylee?"
But, the thing is, Yooka Laylee and Mighty No. 9 ended up in completely different positions.

Yooka Laylee was revamped as a 2D platformer, and that game ended up great.
But, Mighty No. 9 was scrapped and moved on from.
I predict that Balan Wonderworld will also be scrapped and moved on from.

The thing is, Yooka Laylee had tons of missed potential that was ultimately realized in the 2D platformer.
The original game had so much to work with that it made sense to give it another go.
Mighty No. 9 basically had nothing to work with when it was released, and was scrapped as a result.
Balan Wonderworld has character design and one cutscene to work with, and I seriously doubt that SquareEnix
can create a sequel that takes the only two things the game does well and make a full game out of it.
So, I predict that Square will drop the game because there's basically nothing to move on with, and just like
Mighty No. 9, it will be scrapped as a result.

As far as mighty number 9 goes, you are forgetting Mighty Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt Burst. Those two games are crossovers between Mighty number 9 and Azure Striker gunvolt, and if I recall correctly, both of the Crossovers were actually received quite well.

ZeroVoidTime

Well one key difference is Balan Wonderworld is not a Kickstarter project. (However, I hear this video game has a good novel that explains the story much better than video game and it is around $10.) Besides that it is a shame that this video game was a greedy nostalgic cash grab project.