• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is buying kid's picture books for the furry art creepy?

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
That's where the best stuff is, those elaborate watercolors of anthros in fanciful outfits, idyllic lands of whimsy and infantile intrigues.

But I don't have kids. Gross little bastards,asdnboa khndII'm responsible for them?? I dropped myself on my head while typing that last sentence! And I bet you didn't even realize it :confused:

So that's the problem. I wanna go and pay a few bucks for some art, maybe at garage sales, find some withdrawn library books, rundown bookstores with odd holes in the bathroom stalls, but I did it once and they asked me about my child. I panicked and now I have to either avoid that bookstore or keep up the facade. I gave that cashier a fake first and middle name and I can't remember either of them.

I don't want to turn to buying online, you can't get a good idea of what you're getting that way, but I don't want to be getting shifty looks <_<

But, maybe I'm being ridiculous. Is this even a real concern? Am I really going to get nasty looks or human affection from some street thugs in a back alley if I buy a couple? You're all great at coming to conclusions, so come all over me.

KittenAdmin

Sup nerds
I think here's the biggest question:

Why do you care. Because I can 100% guarantee you they probably don't. Any amount of casual conversation is likely either required small-talk from retail clerks or weird super-social people attempting to get into your business.

If you want the books go buy them. You're a grown man. (or woman. idk your life)

Last edited:

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
I was saying that because, c'mon now...you're a grown fuckin man. Shouldn't you be worried about other more important things in your life......But whatever, man.
I knew what ya meant. Of course it's not very rational, but anxieties won't always respond to a sitdown talk about the logic and reason of the situation. A little reassurance goes a long way and that way goes straight to my bookcase.

I knew what ya meant. Of course it's not very rational, but anxieties won't always respond to a sitdown talk about the logic and reason of the situation. A little reassurance goes a long way and that way goes straight to my bookcase.
Well alright then, that's fine. You're right. We all have our own way of coping with different situations in life.

Gyao

What KittenAdmin said...
Though I'm more concerned about why you needed to provide your full name o_O
Unless you need ID to buy picture books xD

Personally I would have felt a bit anxious as well if I got asked for my full name when making a standard store purchase. Not because I'm doing anything wrong, but because it'd just be so... odd?
I can understand social banter, but that usually stops with the first name.

As for whether it's strange or not?
Why would it be? People collect far more questionable things.
I'll be honest and admit that antique dolls creep me out. and the traditional nerds who collected plastic barbies aren't much better.
But that's a personal preference.
There's nothing wrong with collecting picture books.
Hell, just tell the clerk what you told us.
"It's for me, because I really appreciate watercolors, and think the art is cute"
Nothing wrong with that. And worst case scenario just say you're aspiring to make your own picture book one day.

quoting_mungo

I don't see why it would be creepy; I've got tons of YA and children's books on my shelves, and some of them were required reading for my degree. Others I've got a sentimental attachment to since they were a big cultural thing when I grew up (I specify "when I grew up" because it looks like kids these days aren't raised on the same literature I was, which is just WEIRD. I mean seriously how do you intend to raise a well-adjusted child without tales of spacefaring stone-age people?). Honestly I think my relatives find it stranger that I'm still into video games.

I can totally understand feeling awkward being asked about your kids picking them up in a book store, tho. If you don't feel brave enough to say you're getting them for yourself, just think of ways to redirect or half-answer ahead of time. It saves you from having to remember a lie, at least. "Oh, they're not for my kid" should work, for instance, and is technically true.

I mean, last time I bought a children's book I was quite honest about it being for my husband, but he's learning the language, so that's not quite the same situation.

biscuitfister

Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?
man when ever i'm buying something off the wall like condoms, sexually oriented material, or stuff that's under my age like literature. i just try to make the person behind the register feel weird so i can laugh about it later. honestly, its hard to get a laugh out of this world just do your best to make some inside jokes. Also im not saying be a dick but have fun with it.

Gyao

man when ever i'm buying something off the wall like condoms, sexually oriented material, or stuff that's under my age like literature. i just try to make the person behind the register feel weird so i can laugh about it later. honestly, its hard to get a laugh out of this world just do your best to make some inside jokes. Also im not saying be a dick but have fun with it.

Oh? So something like
Self: *Buying condoms*
Clerk: *Looking at you funny*
Self: "It's okay they're not for you, relax~"
? xD

biscuitfister

Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?
Oh? So something like
Self: *Buying condoms*
Clerk: *Looking at you funny*
Self: "It's okay they're not for you, relax~"
? xD
usually i ask if they have any smaller ones in the back hahahaha

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
just be honest and say you like them xD if they have something negative to say about it, just keep in mind that you don't know them personal, and vice versa, so what they think doesn't matter.
Is it creepy? Maybe xD But that's ok haha

KittenAdmin

Sup nerds

Go buy them. They will make you happy and literally nobody else will care. If they do care, it will be brief and fleeting in the span of their busy day. Any negative effects would have zero permanence.

Fopfox

It's pretty weird, not gonna lie. There's worse things you could be doing though.

A better lie would be a present for your nephew. There's less of a direct connection to you so you won't potentially get railroaded into a conversation about your child.

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
Sure. I already have some Eric Kincaid stuff in mind, Aunt Tilda's Rocking Chair being an example, and I know I could get it for less than those prices in good condition. I'm talking $5 at the absolute most. $20?? That's around DOUBLE the publisher's SRP ffs. Get the fucken boat!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer

Aw, lots of people collect kids books for the artwork, who are adults. There's a collectible bookstore in Baltimore that specializes in just kids/ya fiction, on Antique's Row, and some of that stuff can go for a fortune...you're not gonna give first edition copies of Beatrice Potter or A A Milne to a 5 year old!

Like this set.

But beyond that, the collectors market for this kind of artwork extends well beyond what one would pay for furry artwork, so in a certain way, it almost seems less of a thing to feel 'suspicious' over. Plus, the art can be great, and it's fun. So dun worry, Mr. Coon, just buy what ya like!

TidesofFate

Your friendly neighborhood Executioner
They'll just think you're buying the book for some kids. Wouldn't you assume that if you saw a grown adult buying a kid's book? What's the big deal?

StrangerCoug

Stranger Than You!
Creepy, no. Odd, yes, but "odd" isn't inherently a bad thing. I have my guilty pleasures, too.