• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is dying for someone else worth it?

freerider

Dumbass
Just a discussion. Nothing like this is happening to me in real life.

So, if you don't understand by the title, imagine if you had to die to save the life of a friend/bestfriend/lover..

Would you?

Imo, I would NOT do it. Knowing humans and our nature, you would be forgotten and they would just go for someone else maybe the day after.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Itzal

I would only die for my child *if I ever had one*, just to ensure some part of me stayed alive. Anyone else though, no. There's no possible way they could be that important, nor do I believe that they would remember me or be grateful for my sacrifice.

Percy

o-o
I suppose it would depend on the person.

If it was for a friend, probably not, for the reason you mentioned.
However, it were for family, maybe. It would depend on how close they were to you and to other family. However, if someone were dying and you had the choice to save them or not, you'd probably not be taking a whole lot of time to think about something like this.

Grimfang999

There are some people I would die for, and to save several lives I would probably sacrifice myself, but in the latter scenario that is the only instance choice utilitarianism could work, as it is highly unlikely for a situation to be a binary choice. But if I had to and it was one person, probably would die for those who I love, not so sure about one I dont, depends on how much time we have and the value to society that person has.

However the title says is it worth it. Which is entirely subjective and depends on perspective. If you look at it in any way from an individualist, self-preserving view, then no there is no value because it is the end of yur life. From an egalitarian view, its a maybe at best.

If this thread is going to thrive, we might want to expand it into an ethics thread of Utilitarianism, egalitarianism, and so forth.

PastryOfApathy

The answer to that question depends entirely on the circumstances. Do I like the person? How old am I or that person? How would I die? Who actually is that person? There's too many questions within questions.

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
Well, it depends on the person. If it was a direct family member (one of my parents or my brother) I feel like I probably would. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I could've saved them. Anyone else, I doubt it.

freerider

Dumbass
There are some people I would die for, and to save several lives I would probably sacrifice myself, but in the latter scenario that is the only instance choice utilitarianism could work, as it is highly unlikely for a situation to be a binary choice. But if I had to and it was one person, probably would die for those who I love, not so sure about one I dont, depends on how much time we have and the value to society that person has.

However the title says is it worth it. Which is entirely subjective and depends on perspective. If you look at it in any way from an individualist, self-preserving view, then no there is no value because it is the end of yur life. From an egalitarian view, its a maybe at best.

If this thread is going to thrive, we might want to expand it into an ethics thread of Utilitarianism, egalitarianism, and so forth.

Yeah, if this could be an "ethics thread of [whatever those things you just said are]", maybe this thread would last. Dunno.

Aleu

Deuces
Sure it's worth it. It's a "get out of life free" card while avoiding any sort of religious dogma punishment that results in regular suicide.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
That depends on the situation.
You can't just say "oh no I wouldn't". That would be arbitrary. People always act before thinking. Some get frozen with fear / anxiety, others just do stuff.

I remember reading something about a furry guy that died saving his girlfriend from being ran over by someone. She's still suffering. Her legs were really messed up.
That and that famous furry duo that died (ran over by some drunk guy) while they were attending an emergency at the local FurCon. (they were Paramedics / wtv you call them).

As for the Subject at hand:
The question is: is everything in life worth it?
If one does something for some reason, then perhaps it is worth it, at least, for that person.

freerider

Dumbass
Well, everyone has their own opinions, but I wouldn't, considering its probably someone I never knew. And also for my reasons on the first post.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Parents dont want to outlive their kids generally, as for brothers and sisters suppose so. But for your lover or children then without a doubt yes.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
Might sound selfish, but I wouldn't. Nobody would hate me for not sacrificing my own life. Though maybe I might do it for somebody I really cared about if I am a really old guy losing my grip on life with not much to lose.

freerider

Dumbass
Might sound selfish, but I wouldn't. Nobody would hate me for not sacrificing my own life. Though maybe I might do it for somebody I really cared about if I am a really old guy losing my grip on life with not much to lose.

It's not selfish. It's being smart.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
This is just to vague, but yes. It depends on the situation but I can think of many that I would.

Cocobanana

It depends how much more worth they seem to have in society than myself.

Chances are, no, unless I would be losing a person I felt I couldn't live without anyway.