• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is fursuiting like blackface

PrincessParrot

800 Salted Almonds
My GF says that fursuiting is the same as blackface and that it's not okay because animals can't consent to us using their image as anthro creatures. Discuss.

Edit:

Mostly help me explain to her why there is nothing wrong with antro animals? Because every argument I come up with she has some way to combat it.

Last edited:

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
Ummmm no.... blackfacing goes back to a typical negative view of people with darker skin (racism). I can see where your GF is coming from but animals that aren't humans don't really care if we dress up like them and act silly... if we dress up like other ethnic groups and we're going around being silly those ethnic groups would care because it is offensive to their culture something other animals cannot comprehend... if you get what I'm saying

My GF says that fursuiting is the same as blackface and that it's not okay because animals can't consent to us using their image as anthro creatures. Discuss.

That is retarded.

PrincessParrot

800 Salted Almonds
Ummmm no.... blackfacing goes back to a typical negative view of people with darker skin (racism). I can see where your GF is coming from but animals that aren't humans don't really care if we dress up like them and act silly... if we dress up like other ethnic groups and we're going around being silly those ethnic groups would care because it is offensive to their culture something other animals cannot comprehend... if you get what I'm saying

That's basically what I tell her but she then says "is it okay to exploit them when they don't know what's going on"

Byron

Moshi Moshi, Byron Desu~
You should just pat your girlfriend on the head and tell her good job on almost having a cogent thought.

Or I'm posting in a troll thread and I'm the idiot.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
That's basically what I tell her but she then says "is it okay to exploit them when they don't know what's going on"

People/organisms that don't know better are exploited all the time in nature and in the human world. Organisms aren't even being exploited in this case anyways, it's more like an honor that someone regards them so highly to dress up as one. Nothing bad (to my knowledge) befalls all the foxes in the world because of all the fox fursuiters... in fact there are probably some fursuiters who go to charity events to help those animals if they are endangered or such.

PrincessParrot

800 Salted Almonds
I'm sorry, but the stupidity in that statement your gf made is just...its immense.

I know and it's driving me crazy! She's a lot better at debating than I am to so no matter what I say she has a way to turn it around and make me seem like the bad guy while I'm just thinking "it's cartoon animals please chill"

PrincessParrot

800 Salted Almonds
You should just pat your girlfriend on the head and tell her good job on almost having a cogent thought.

Or I'm posting in a troll thread and I'm the idiot.

I promise you this is a 1000% serious problem I have in my relationship.

sidewalksurfboard

Depressive Rat
I think your girlfriend might be from PETA. Run while you can.

DevilishlyHandsome49

The Most Handsome Devil
I know and it's driving me crazy! She's a lot better at debating than I am to so no matter what I say she has a way to turn it around and make me seem like the bad guy while I'm just thinking "it's cartoon animals please chill"

If this is for real, and this is not a troll thread in the slightest, you need to have a serious talk with her. Sit her down, hold her hands, look her straight in the eye and tell her, that comparing fursuiting, which has technically been a thing for fucking-ever, as a way of spiritual expression and/or recreation, to blackface that was made up during the segregation era to openly and purposefully make fun of black people, is not only offensive, but its just fucking stupid. Say those exact words. Those EXACT words

Lisek

Generic Furry
This is a situation where if it happened to me I'd somehow break up with her before she even said it. Because such stupidity transcends all known laws of physics.

L

LizardKing

oh no! we're appropriating animal culture for our own exploits!

holy shit have you shown her animals that pretend to be poisonous and shit? they're doing it too!

Zenia

... Seriously? Your GF is a moron.

Ashdon

Furfag God

Edit:

Mostly help me explain to her why there is nothing wrong with antro animals? Because every argument I come up with she has some way to combat it.

holy shit if this is true halloween is the most racist day of the entire fucking stationary period of the planet! celebrating haloweeen must be racist because pumpkins don't give their consent to being made into costumes, neither do slutty bunnys.... playboy is racist!

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
But can animals consent to having your GF speak in their name?

asspile

Im trying to make an argument to say that fursuiting is the worst thing ever but what can i say, i got nothing. I'm sure if animals could understand us and had something to be upset over, they would probably be more upset over the fact that many are struggling to survive due to natural order and we managed to evade natural order and only invited certain animals along.

shiy0

A.K.A the greeting wolf
only one question left though... does that count for mascots of sportsteams too? .o.
no for real i've heard of much stupid stuff in my life but... nooooo cmon. how can somebody compare those two things with eachother.