• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is fursuiting like blackface

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Dude, this is bad. Like really bad. Disregarding the whole fursuit thing, the fact that she changes her viewpoint so easily, over what could possibly be anything, because its what her brother believes...

Big red flag!!
Aye. what this guy said.

Fuck her one last time and then dump her, OP.

Razzle

My GF says that fursuiting is the same as blackface and that it's not okay because animals can't consent to us using their image as anthro creatures. Discuss

I do not think it is okay to start calling her names or dismissing her arguments out of hand like some people have done in this thread.

The first attempt should always be to have a rational discussion, treat the person with respect, give them the benefit of the doubt, and engage and treat their position fairly to see if they perhaps have a point.

Blackfacing is simply using makeup or other methods to make a non-black person appear to be black. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing this. The objections here come from a person who is blackfacing publicly acting in a way that promotes stereotypes which are often racist in nature.

This shows us that the problem with blackfacing has nothing to do with consent. Therefore her argument of drawing an analogy to blackfacing and adding that animals are unable to consent, immediately falls flat on its face because it entirely misses the actual objectionable problem with blackfacing.

That's basically what I tell her but she then says "is it okay to exploit them when they don't know what's going on"

Her argument here takes a turn for the worse and jumps right into a complex question fallacy. She assumes from the start that dressing in a fursuit is in fact an exploitation of animals, without providing an argument to back that position up. She needs to first show why it is animal exploitation before you need to bother defending why it is not.

I know and it's driving me crazy! She's a lot better at debating than I am to so no matter what I say she has a way to turn it around and make me seem like the bad guy while I'm just thinking "it's cartoon animals please chill"

It is perfectly fine to not have an answer on the spot for everything.

Simply tell her "That is an interesting point, give me some time to consider it, I will get back to you tomorrow". Then go and do your research, ask people like you have done here, and then take the answer that you feel is best back to her.

Answer each claim separately and do not allow her to bombard you with a million different angles at once that simply muddy the waters and get you all twisted up. Write down specifically what her claim is, have her double check it and agree to it, then go and figure out what your answer to that particular claim is.

She's always been regularly interested and properly supportive in animal/women's/human rights and stuff like that and I was very happy to find somebody regular that shared the same not radical views as I did. That's why her getting so upset about something like this is really weird and kind of upsetting for me. The way she is arguing it is that in the future animals might have consciousness like humans do but until them fursuiting is not okay because it takes advantage of their lack of consciousness and while what she says makes sense, it's just... really unimportant...

That is an attitude that you should never have in a relationship, if it matters to her, then it is not unimportant.

Last edited:

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
If it actually matters to her. With her abruptly changing her opinion and charging in headfirst like this, it's fairly certain it doesn't. And even if something feels like it matters, it doesn't always. And frankly, this is such a wild argument, it needs to be nipped in the bud, because it is not important-- unless there's some underlying issue she isn't mentioning. But frankly, since she's letting someone else's opinion abruptly change hers... that's highly unlikely.

Illuminaughty

Ring-a-ding-ding, pal.
Oh give me a break. Animals are less than concerned with the goings on of humanity unless it directly affects them, and even then they adapt better than any human.

The reality is, these things have literally no emotional effect. I love my kitten, I adore his silliness. But I could call him all sorts of terrible things, and he would simply continue to play with his tail. Because he doesn't give a single crap. Not a single one.

Dressing up as an animal is to blackface what peanuts are to the Titanic.. There's no correlation at all, period. Unless we're talking about size, in which case yes, fursuiting is about the size of a peanut compared to the Titanic that would be insulting people of colour.

Last edited:

Gator

Uncledaddy
dying

no srsly plz halp

; v; i'm sorry but that's grounds for a breakup in my book. i don't think i could dignify such absurdity with a legitimate debate. if you really want to, though, do what Razzle said. but honestly... animals don't give a shit. they're not even capable of it. who is she to put words in their mouths when they'd much rather have food in there? this shouldn't even be a discussion, much less an argument. tell her to concern herself with things that are ACTUALLY hurting people/animals. it's time and energy much better spent.

here's another thing to consider... fursuiters are dressing as their characters. they're not even parodying the species in question. it'd be no more offensive to animal kind to dress as a character who is an animal than it would be offensive to humankind to dress up as a human character. so again, she has no point because what she's talking about and what she's comparing it to are completely different things.
of course, then we have a problem with people just dressing up as animals in costumes.
oh, gosh, what about plants? i mean, you never know, right? :U

Last edited:

Red_Lion _

...I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

Get a new girlfriend, heck, be single. This girl your with is a grade-A idiot.

I'll elaborate, animals DON'T CARE if you dress up as a fake animal thing you made up. They aren't sapient, they have never been sapient and I am just praying your girlfriend is joking because if she's making a serious argument then she needs mental help to fix her massive amounts of stupid.

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
"She's better at debate than me and combat everything"

You can just stop being indirect and say "she's retarded" because you can never beat retards when it comes to arguments.

And send her ass back to tumblr.

J

Jaden Darchon

Seriously?

Even if they could comprehend what's going on with fursuiting, mimicry is flattery. Even if you were to ignore that, "blackface" was made to lampoon/negatively portray a group of individuals. Fursuits are made/donned with adoration and respect for that being represented. This argument is what I'd call grasping at straws, bigtime.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
No only making the comparison is somewhat racist, but it is also ridiculously stupid. Your GF's debate skills is on par with Bobby Jinal's if she has to resort to extremes for something so benign.

Yeah, this relationship is not going to last for a great amount of time anyway. My crystal ball tells me there will be many more moments of overwhelming stupidity in your future if you stay with her, might as well rip off the band-aid fast.

Plus there's the feminist SJW thing. That's no good either.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
"She's better at debate than me and combat everything"

You can just stop being indirect and say "she's retarded" because you can never beat retards when it comes to arguments.

And send her ass back to tumblr.

It's likely that the OP is confusing stubbornness for skill at debating.

ShioBear

EH b0sss
Banned
so shes been huffing gasoline and enjoying some bathsalt suppository's ? wow just....... wow

Most people do because sadly, being loud, annoying and stupid is how you "outargue" someone these days.

And of courseeeeee, those 3 adjectives perfectly fit most girls.

And most politicians.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
Seriously?

Even if they could comprehend what's going on with fursuiting, mimicry is flattery.

If mimicry was offensive then Coral snakes must be really offended by King snakes, then.

It all makes sense now, the only reason we don't have ANIMAL activists is because they cant hold signs.

(TFW no limbs)

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Ditch the bitch and look somewhere other than Tumblr for your next partner.

Maelstrom Eyre

Ahmoua Wolf
My GF says that fursuiting is the same as blackface and that it's not okay because animals can't consent to us using their image as anthro creatures. Discuss.

Edit:

Mostly help me explain to her why there is nothing wrong with antro animals? Because every argument I come up with she has some way to combat it.

Your GF has put way, way too much thought into this.

She may need to get out of the house more. . .or maybe eat more vegetables or something.

More than likely, she's just saying this crap to get you stirred up. But, if you really want me to, I can go out to my barn and ask the horses if they, as animals, feel offended that their image is used without their expressed consent.

Pretty sure they don't care. Because. . .you know. . .they're horses.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
This thread made me lol.

Talk about playing devils advocate.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Your GF has put way, way too much thought into this.

She may need to get out of the house more. . .or maybe eat more vegetables or something.

More than likely, she's just saying this crap to get you stirred up. But, if you really want me to, I can go out to my barn and ask the horses if they, as animals, feel offended that their image is used without their expressed consent.

Pretty sure they don't care. Because. . .you know. . .they're horses.

Mister Ed would like to have a word with you.

S

Sar

Glad to see that the quality of threads in The Den haven't changed a bit.