• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is GTX 970M capable of running modern games on low med settings?

KippLink

Beginner Artist
Howdy!
I just got a good offer on a laptop from a friend and it has gtx 970m 3gb version. I have a very vague knowledge of mobile hardware but i can imagine that the mobile version gtx 970m will be much weaker than the desktop gtx 970.

KairanD

Meowdy!

The GTX 970M is, indeed, a lot weaker than the desktop GTX 970. However, it's still pretty decent (GTX 1050 ~ GTX 1050Ti level I think). So, I would say it is capable of running any game at 1080p with a bit of tweaking.

KippLink

Beginner Artist
Meowdy!

The GTX 970M is, indeed, a lot weaker than the desktop GTX 970. However, it's still pretty decent (GTX 1050 ~ GTX 1050Ti level I think). So, I would say it is capable of running any game at 1080p with a bit of tweaking.
Thats brilliant news thank you for the info as i was not sure if its worth considering since the laptop is about 5 years old now.

KippLink

Beginner Artist
How about the other specs? And what's the price?
From what i written down when i was checking it out its a msi gt70 with i7 4710mq and 8gb of ram. It doesnt have a hard disk because he said he has data on it so i will need to buy my own. Also the battery doesnt hold more than 5 minutes and he wants 290£ for it i'm thinking of having another look this week.

Hound-of-chulainn

When I was in college I got away with gaming on a laptop with an 820m on it, It still managed to play stuff like Fallout 4 on medium-high settings, so you should be fine with yours. :)
If there's any game in particular you play often, you can google their name and the gpu and a reviewer should have recorded the average fps for it somewhere.

KippLink

Beginner Artist
When I was in college I got away with gaming on a laptop with an 820m on it, It still managed to play stuff like Fallout 4 on medium-high settings, so you should be fine with yours. :)
If there's any game in particular you play often, you can google their name and the gpu and a reviewer should have recorded the average fps for it somewhere.
Yeah funny enough thats what i did just to see if can handle some titles, i tried Cyberpunk 2077 to see if it can run at all and as long as you turn everything to low you should get away with playing at 720p not sure if their card was over clocked tho.

Paws the Gryphon

*Technically* an Opinicus
I have both a 970 (not the mobile version though) and "upgraded" to a 1050TI, and can say that most modern games are fine with it, though there may be a small sacrifice in FPS in the newest ones.

Kinare

RAWR
Bit late on this, but thought I'd chime in since I do have this card (both mobile and desktop version) just in case anyone else or the OP are wondering.

On my laptop, I can run pretty much everything modern in med to low settings and get 30-40 FPS. It does depend on the game and variances of said game. Ark for example, all but 2 DLC maps run 40+ at a med-highish setting, but for the other 2 even with nearly everything on lowest I can't get a stable 30 because it's just not a well optimized game. If you're one of those who cannot live without 60FPS, this is not a good card to go with.

Refurbished may be something to look at, but this is also a bad time to be buying. I looked just to see if I could find examples for you of which I have done before for others, but everything I found is out of stock (I'm searching from 'Murica though, you may have better luck locally). I would not be comfy dropping that much on the laptop you described, plus cost of hard drive and potential added RAM. You also have to consider the longevity of said system, which could be more or less depending on condition of it, but in pure technical terms it will be a struggle.

On my desktop, I fair quite a bit better. I can comfortably play everything I've tried to play at high to ultra settings and maintain my personal min of 30FPS. Do note: I also have a better CPU on my desktop, but for most games CPU isn't nearly as important (there are exceptions though, like Monster Hunter World, where CPU does matter).

Both of my systems have 16GB RAM.

Desktop runs Win 10 because it made me do it and laptop runs Win 7. It's also worth noting that some games, like Outriders, now require Windows 10. I tried to play the demo of it on my laptop recently, was sad to find out that was the case. v.v