• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

is it normal to change your persona or fursona often?

Fruitythebeetle

Goes by kappapeachie now
it seems like i'm one of the few really to change their character a lot. they went from a sonic the hedgehog oc to some honey badger kemonomimi girl (not always but sometimes) and currently i might make them part skunk for some reason.....(i like hybrids and chimeras okay)

SSJ3Mewtwo

This was my original 'sona:

But after a good few years of using the character, I felt it didn't really fit anymore. Nintendo had moved on with their own new forms of Mewtwo, so calling him a 'mewthree' like I used to didn't seem to make much sense to me. And after having been in the fandom for a while and being exposed to many other character concepts and designs, I chnged the character by a lot. I wanted to get away from the mewthree angle, and incoporate more traits that I've found nifty and cool for a long time.

New design:

I've changed mine a few times. Originally was a fox but changed to a Thrinaxodon. Tweaked a few other things like name and background. It's my first one and I'm new at this, so possibly just a little bit of indecisiveness showing.

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
It's absolutely fine!

I think, at least in my personal experience, some of the main reasons people stick to one design for long periods of time are

-not being able to commission a new design whenever,

-not wanting art from other people to be "out of date",

-or just having found a design that is resonates well with them.

But changing it up is completely fine too, so long as it's what makes you happy. Your OCs exist first and foremost to entertain and/or comfort you, so do whatever it is that lets them fulfill those purposes ^^

Jojer

Listener of Podcasts
Yes, although it can be a bother. I’ve changed my sona up quite a bit over the past 10 years and I’ve always sort of envied people who hold down a single sona for their entire furry career. It’s imptessive but at the same time I use my sona as an expression of growth and change. When I go through something transformative, usually my sona is altered to reflect that. Fursonas are good tools for expression and exploration.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I know people who change their character about once a year. It's hard to keep track of them from time to time, but sometimes change is natural. I used to known as Preyfar the hyena before I changed over to Dragoneer. Sometimes change is refreshing.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
it seems like i'm one of the few really to change their character a lot. they went from a sonic the hedgehog oc to some honey badger kemonomimi girl (not always but sometimes) and currently i might make them part skunk for some reason.....(i like hybrids and chimeras okay)

Certainly part skunk is a sensible wise choice; I think everyone would agree with that :p

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Hmm, how to answer . . . I've always been "The Old Warhorse" for I dunno . . . well, it predates the fandom. Early '70's. No other personas.

If changing yours makes your day, by all means. The wife unit has changed hers untold times in the last almost 40 years.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Do what you wanna do and what makes you happy. As long as you’re not hurting anyone it’s okay in my book.

Tyno

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam
That's totally fine I sometimes want to update my character but I fail to do so. So that fact that you can is great!

Pinky

AKA Allie or Aouzy
A lot of sona's go through many changes until they're happy with them enough to stick. To me, it'd be abnormal to do it infrequently; like if you're going to do another big change after a while, you may as well make a second sona.

Kylan Velpa

Cyan Gentle-fox
My first sona was rushed. And had no personality.

He was killed in an RP thread on the third day of his life. This was probably a good thing though, because of how bad he was.

My second was less rushed.

He was killed in the same RP thread. I didn't mind because I hadn't even made art yet.

My third is on the way. He is going to be more developed and is not going to die. Even if he dies in an RP I'll probably just internalise the death to that one thread.

My first proper sona! Here goes nothing...

Captain TrashPanda

*metal screech intensifies*
My first sona was rushed. And had no personality.

He was killed in an RP thread on the third day of his life. This was probably a good thing though, because of how bad he was.

My second was less rushed.

He was killed in the same RP thread. I didn't mind because I hadn't even made art yet.

My third is on the way. He is going to be more developed and is not going to die. Even if he dies in an RP I'll probably just internalise the death to that one thread.

My first proper sona! Here goes nothing...
*coughs* they both had it coming...

Kylan Velpa

Cyan Gentle-fox
Zalis was going to be decent!

And he never did anything wrong.

(And it was you who posted about finding blue fur. )