• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

is it safe to make a thread asking about peoples view of the future

is a thread about the future and how reliable tech will be safe

• yes, if even if it gets out of control it will just get locked

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • no, people will ruin it even if you try and avoid political elements

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
i was thinking of posting a poll/thread about a discussion i had in person with some people, in person, the group could follow a rule to keep politics to a minimum and focus on tech stuff, although experiences here on faf make me doubt if i can do this safely

i had it typed out before asking this, but deleted it and decided to wait, as i cannot just delete a thread after posting it

i think the best summary i can give is..

Attachments

• 0_7u6JJwZ2YgqvsJxc.jpg
    0_7u6JJwZ2YgqvsJxc.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18

ben909

ben909

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
asking people on the internet to behave is like that vid where they're in the car and the parent tells the kid to be normal

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
the specific is flying close to the "no politics" sun even if its about technology to me
Again if people can't refrain from dragging a thread about tech and such through political mud, that is on them (and in theory anyone who starts a fight with that could get removed from said thread if mods obliged)

ben909

Again if people can't refrain from dragging a thread about tech and such through political mud, that is on them (and in theory anyone who starts a fight with that could get removed from said thread if mods obliged)
i am also a bit worried that i would be the one with the problem if i started the thread, even if i ask for it to be about things and not people

ben909

i have classes soon, but for context, the thread i was thinking of makeing but help back on was about energy storage and its difficulties, and things related to it

to me it's technology based , but to many others it would be political

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
If people decide to bring politics into it report them. Usually the thread only stays locked long enough to remove the posts. Unless people are consistently getting mad at eachother in large numbers, you should be fine.

I think you should just post your thread since you haven't been very specific so far. If it's about energy storage and what makes it difficulty that's an easy thing to answer without touching on politics.

mankind has killed itself and started over so many times and so many times they've destroyed wildlife along the way.

i think we're kinda ready for a reset on civilisation, but i highly doubt this is the end and not just a big change.

Ennui Elemental

Banned
In a purely technological context the future seems bright but that might be the glare of a metaphorical set of headlights speeding in our direction.

The Internet has itself proven to be a very double-edged sword - it has opened up a ton of opportunities for many, many people to better themselves and the world around them, and it's also become painfully evident that not everyone is ready for nearly the entire world to actually be their stage. The Internet could absolutely be used to mitigate a lot of the factors that contribute to social friction, but in practice it's used to perpetuate it. The matter of privacy or lack thereof is going to have different levels of importance to different people, but right now to me it looks like the ideas of privacy and even boundaries are becoming a rapidly-dwindling ideal.

We have access to more knowledge now than we've ever had before. What people do with that knowledge is another matter.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Eh.... that's nonsense dude.... there's even a tech section on the Forum here.
I had a similar reaction, but then I started thinking about fun new ways to politicize future tech. Not that I will be posting them here, of course. Almost anything can become political. Not so much the technology itself, in this case, but how it's applied and what the consequences are.

Ennui Elemental

Banned
I had a similar reaction, but then I started thinking about fun new ways to politicize future tech. Not that I will be posting them here, of course. Almost anything can become political. Not so much the technology itself, in this case, but how it's applied and what the consequences are.
People will MAKE anything political. What bothers me about that tendency is making something political implies it's up for debate, and subject to compromise, and when something that absolutely should NOT be up for debate or compromise gets framed that way...

To come back to the energy storage thing @ben909 was interested in, I have limited understanding of that field's specifics but with the vague prompt of energy storage I'm guessing there's a question of things like batteries for solar setups, or energy locked away in things like fossil fuels - those two I could see someone making into political footballs. The manufacture of energy storage cells is actually a sticking point as we in the Western world source many of the important materials from abroad, and that's a very prickly subject in the wrong circles. That said the process of obtaining those materials at the moment is astonishingly destructive to the environment, more so than people might expect. It could almost certainly be improved somehow, but I would have little idea where to start.

Last edited:

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
i have classes soon, but for context, the thread i was thinking of makeing but help back on was about energy storage and its difficulties, and things related to it

to me it's technology based , but to many others it would be political
I think a random article found its way to my attention.
Apparently theres a form of battery that uses a solid component instead of liquid ions. Its called a solid state battery and i dont know if commonly used now but apparently itll hold a charge for a lot longer and is also rechargeable.

I also watched a video about how electricity works and from what i understand theres a positive or negative charge in the electricity that makes so it wants to be neutral so itll path to anything that will discharge it. Dont exactly know why it works the way it does but Science has found a way to guide the energy and store the charges.

I seen a video where a dude lit a light bulb from a distance with a tesla coil.

i got shocked once by plugging in too many devices at once.
Ive gotten much more careful with the arrangement plugged in wires.

ben909

Apparently theres a form of battery that uses a solid component instead of liquid ions. Its called a solid state battery and i dont know if commonly used now but apparently itll hold a charge for a lot longer and is also rechargeable.

I also watched a video about how electricity works and from what i understand theres a positive or negative charge in the electricity that makes so it wants to be neutral so itll path to anything that will discharge it. Dont exactly know why it works the way it does but Science has found a way to guide the energy and store the charges.

was this a lithium based one, or the copper cellous(spelling, the stuff wood is made of)...

... or the sodium ion one... or the aluminum graphene one(these may still be liquid... not sure)...

there are a lot of batteries

Ennui Elemental

Banned

Oh, I remember hearing about things like that - graphene batteries? I don't know if they would be workable in terms of production time/cost right NOW but I imagine we will find ways to improve those, as there's definitely a LOT of reasons to break away from things like lead-acid, nickel-cadmium and lithium ion. I imagine improving graphene manufacturing processes would dovetail with the search for a way to produce things like carbon nanotubes on huge scales.

ben909

Oh, I remember hearing about things like that - graphene batteries? I don't know if they would be workable in terms of production time/cost right NOW but I imagine we will find ways to improve those, as there's definitely a LOT of reasons to break away from things like lead-acid, nickel-cadmium and lithium ion. I imagine improving graphene manufacturing processes would dovetail with the search for a way to produce things like carbon nanotubes on huge scales.
there are more then one type of graphene battery i think

the one i follow with interest-maybe hope is the aluminum graphene battery, even if they don't sell any of them yet and only one company really is setting up to make them

from what i could tell, i think their are also lithium batteries that might use graphene , not sure if those also need cobalt, as apparently we may run short of that soon

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
Oh, I remember hearing about things like that - graphene batteries? I don't know if they would be workable in terms of production time/cost right NOW but I imagine we will find ways to improve those, as there's definitely a LOT of reasons to break away from things like lead-acid, nickel-cadmium and lithium ion.
Battery powered stuff is also super useful. I got gardening tools that are powered with battery blocks rather than gas powered.

Givin the costs of fuels today i'd imagine there will be a lil push for electric vehicles sooner or later.
Battery improvement will be neccesary so theres certainly research for future batteries going on.

ben909

Battery powered stuff is also super useful. I got gardening tools that are powered with battery blocks rather than gas powered.

Givin the costs of fuels today i'd imagine there will be a lil push for electric vehicles sooner or later.
Battery improvement will be neccesary so theres certainly research for future batteries going on.
from what i can tell

the world will need way more batteries then it can produce

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
from what i can tell

the world will need way more batteries then it can produce
I really dont think that. We just gotta make batteries that long and can be salvaged after use.

ben909

I really dont think that. We just gotta make batteries that long and can be salvaged after use.
maybe... but that does not mean we won't need a lot of them

are you talking about aluminum air batteries, the ones with high energy density but cannot be recharged, only recycled

Ennui Elemental

Banned
Aluminum has its issues as well with sourcing, though I can't imagine people aren't frantically searching for ways to improve that given how incredibly useful aluminum is. Recycling battery components seems like a no-brainer but I'm guessing there are obstacles there, of what sort I don't know exactly.