• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is life worth living alone?

Kope

Artist?
Banned
It hurts being alone sometimes. Is an uncertain future worth the pain to get there?

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Honestly, I find I am most at peace when I have my own place without anyone else living there with me. There's certainly nothing wrong with having social needs, but being comfortable with oneself is necessary to live a peaceful life. Basing your self worth and energy entirely on having friends/family/lovers/etc. is incredibly toxic for not just those you consider dear to you but also to yourself most of all - as that level of desperation winds up pushing everyone away in the end. So, to answer your question...being alone is not a bad thing, but chances are, if you re-evaluate your needs and wants and begin to cultivate a mindset that focuses on your own self improvement, others will trickle into your life whom' will support you fully and entirely. It really is a psychological science, and knowing how to apply it may be in your best interest...given your post history.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
Of course. Happiness comes from within.

Having friends, a partner, family, it's all very nice but it doesn't make life what it is. There is happiness and meaning in all things, even if it's not easy to find. Being alone is not an inherently bad thing, and many people are happier alone

Yakamaru

Maid in France :>
Being happy in your own company is kind of essential if you don't want to potentially drive people away. Be it a lover or a friendship the relationship will end up imbalanced and you end up being dependent upon others to make you happy.

You want to add happiness, not drain it.

MaetheDragon

Queen of Laziness
I wish I could be alone. I need to get out of my mom’s basement, lol.

Seriously though, I actually envy those who live alone. There’s a certain freedom that comes with it that I don’t think some people appreciate. It’s nice to have someone who understands you or will be there for you, but not if they’re constantly dependent on you or making you do all the work.

That’s called being a child. I’m not ready to raise a kid, let alone babysit one.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
It hurts being alone sometimes. Is an uncertain future worth the pain to get there?
I'm not certain whether you're talking about friendships or relationships, I think it's good have to some steady friendships and someone you're close romantically with, but it's also important to be able to alone sometimes as well too.

It's not really a binary choice, but some specifics would probably help.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Ah, I know the pain of solitude all too well. I've been like that for longer than I care to tell. But then, one day, already well after I've given up the hope, it changed. "Two worlds collided".

And now I know, sometimes good things require one to sit tight and wait for them.

ScaratheWolf

Scara is on her honeymoon; Currently Ronin
IK a lot of people say this but things WILL get better! Honestly something I've learned is that a few good and close friends will beat 50 "Friends" anyday. Also...IDK if you have thought this but the question kind of hinted at it...Don't Kill Yourself...There have been many times that I have attempted and each time someone has shown me that it wasn't worth it.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
I'm not certain whether you're talking about friendships or relationships, I think it's good have to some steady friendships and someone you're close romantically with, but it's also important to be able to alone sometimes as well too.

It's not really a binary choice, but some specifics would probably help.
Either one at this point

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Either one at this point
I meant more about the specific situation that's bothering you, but I think it might be best to focus getting to know people in real life and seeing what friendships might result from that. You're going to university, if I remember correctly, and some of my closest friends I made while studying in university. There will be people there trying to find your way like you too, so there might be an opportunity there.

Kope

Artist?
Banned

ScaratheWolf

Scara is on her honeymoon; Currently Ronin
I’m sorry
Don't apologize for having problems, Im not griping or criticizing Im just saying that you shouldn't have to apologize for asking questions because you are hurting

ConorHyena

From out of the rain.
It can be pretty fun walking around semi nude and eating mac n cheese at your pc without judgement.
And to crank tunes and sing along even though you'd never make it big.

This is the essence.

I have a great preference for being alone. It's nice to socialize and do things with people one cares about and they are good to be around but at the end of the day I vastly prefer being by myself for a time.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Don't apologize for having problems, Im not griping or criticizing Im just saying that you shouldn't have to apologize for asking questions because you are hurting
thanks i dont get lonely tok often but when i do i feel suicidal and dramatic

Green_Brick

Krita user
For me, personally, it'd be super difficult for me to be alone for my entire life. While yes, I am a "nobody" online, in my personal life, I have a few friends and some family members that I am super close to. If I did not have them, I would probably not think that I'd have a purpose in life. I do love spending lots of time to myself, alone, but... I'm also a human and I desire human contact with others. It'd be a shame if I wouldn't be able to fulfill that... :(

Shyy

slightly confused, mostly fun loving Protogen
Speaking as a married (32 years) and partnered (9 years) individual, and way too many years running solo while driving a Semi, I see and appreciate the options of both. Being by yourself offers the time and opportunity to work on or through different things, that otherwise are hard to do. You also have a sense of freedom, in that you have very few, if any, restrictions on your life. Flipside- almost always having someone to interact with can be beneficial as well- mentally AND soulfully. (I'm currently looking for a place for just <me>, as I am feeling "over exposed" to others in my life and need somewhere to get away from them for awhile- my own "Den", so to speak)