• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is there a way to break the news?

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
I've had a few good friends who, until recently, would make jokes about the fandom all the time and generally make fun of it. I stopped adding to them, so they faded, but I'm not sure they hold it in favorable mind...

Is there a way I could tell them without them thinking their trope-and-generalization-based half-jokes? I don't want to loose them as friends, but at the same time I hate keeping secrets like this...

D

Deleted member 82554

Don't treat the fandom as if it's something you come out about, it's not like coming out about homosexuality or something. Or better yet, don't say anything at all.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Don't treat the fandom as if it's something you come out about, it's not like coming out about homosexuality or something. Or better yet, don't say anything at all.
But it's like holding back an interest because I'd be taunted for it... I don't like secret keeping.
... But I suppose it's not so serious a discussion as homosexuality is for some, no.

SilenceLoud

Well I dunno, tbh I've told waaay more friends that I'm bisexual than I have that I'm a furry, I think being a furry does define me as a person to myself, but I don't think it should define me as a person to others, so I just don't consider it their business, especially if they make fun of the fandom. I just don't see the being a furry as something that's important enough to tell people, like sexuality, but then again that's a pretty relative opinion, so you do you

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
"Mom... Dad... Guys... i need to tell you something."

"i reeeeeally like grapefruit juice. i know you guys don't like it but i do. i know you think it tastes like bathroom cleaner. i just don't wanna keep drinking it in secret."

"Do you still love me?"

See that? That's how you sound.

T

TeslaSkunk

Everyones got the right points, you don't need to keep it a big secret, but you also need to be careful what you say. I only let out the word that i was a furry to specific people and in a very specific way, being careful of what i said, but i guess thats where we're both the same and overworry about these things. Eventually i got more and more comfortable talking about it, and its to the point that even my parents know about the dark side of it. I understand your frustration of this, but i guess things only need to be said if they are necessary

PlusThirtyOne

I... Okay, I see. Overdramatic of me, I guess. Hah. Thanks, all.
No disrespect intended. Thanks for being a good sport about it.
These kinds of threads are posted at least once a week, sometimes more often. it's not just an annoyance because it's a repeat thread, it's annoying because it's not worth the hassle and shouldn't be dealt with like it's a big deal. Furriness is a hobby, whether it's a sexual one or not, a "way of life" or not, etc. etc. etc. if that's truly how you feel, it'd not anybody's damn business. Admittedly, i'm guilty of asking the same question myself. After having time to mull it over (and of course, speaking with others in the fandom) i've realized it just isn't a big deal. What feels like a big deal to you, may not be to others. Treating your hobby like a life choice or orientation is just...stupid. -And no, i'm not implying that you do! LOTS of people who post here DO, though. Yes, it's nice to have local friends within the fandom and yes, it feels AWESOME to have family (especially parents) who support your hobby but the bottom line is this: it's just a hobby.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I don't bother keeping it a secret, never have, never will.

People around me just don't give a shit. Hell, have had non-Furries ask me to recommend good artists, SFW and NSFW alike.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
No disrespect intended. Thanks for being a good sport about it.
These kinds of threads are posted at least once a week, sometimes more often. it's not just an annoyance because it's a repeat thread, it's annoying because it's not worth the hassle and shouldn't be dealt with like it's a big deal. Furriness is a hobby, whether it's a sexual one or not, a "way of life" or not, etc. etc. etc. if that's truly how you feel, it'd not anybody's damn business. Admittedly, i'm guilty of asking the same question myself. After having time to mull it over (and of course, speaking with others in the fandom) i've realized it just isn't a big deal. What feels like a big deal to you, may not be to others. Treating your hobby like a life choice or orientation is just...stupid. -And no, i'm not implying that you do! LOTS of people who post here DO, though. Yes, it's nice to have local friends within the fandom and yes, it feels AWESOME to have family (especially parents) who support your hobby but the bottom line is this: it's just a hobby.

That very mentality of disproportionate gravity of events is something I struggle with a lot, actually. I blow things out proportion in my head, envisioning every worst scenario, worrying about every word and possible meaning... Part of it is because some scenarios have played out like that, but such a minority that it should not be my priority to foresee them. Oftentimes people don't give as much mind to things as I imagine they would. They don't analyze and scrutinize conversations as I do, abstracted and unrealistic as my thoughts tend to wander...

I'm glad to be told off on it, it's hard to recognize unrealism while it's in process. Another reason for me to like the fandom, people being able to bring that realism to me in a reasonable way. Again, thanks for that.

(Maybe I should stop posting threads after 27 consecutive hours of consciousness, hah.)

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
But it's like holding back an interest because I'd be taunted for it... I don't like secret keeping.
... But I suppose it's not so serious a discussion as homosexuality is for some, no.

No, you don't say anything and continue to look like a (somewhat) normal person to them. Ain't finna need to "I'M A FURRY YO NOW YA'LL BETTER FUCKIN' STOP OR I'MMA FUCKIN' YIFF YOUR TAILHOLE ALL KAWAII LIKE"

Just don't.

If you ever think you should, let this image server as a reminder

icon.jpg

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
No, you don't say anything and continue to look like a (somewhat) normal person to them. Ain't finna need to "I'M A FURRY YO NOW YA'LL BETTER FUCKIN' STOP OR I'MMA FUCKIN' YIFF YOUR TAILHOLE ALL KAWAII LIKE"

Just don't.

Well, yes. That point has already been clearly conveyed to me by now. I appreciate the continued effort, though.

Should I delete this thread? Is there a way to do that?

PlusThirtyOne

Well, yes. That point has already been clearly conveyed to me by now. I appreciate the continued effort, though.

Should I delete this thread? Is there a way to do that?
No need. Just stop posting in here and it'll drop into obscurity.