• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

is there an easy to follow tutorial for FA?

im trying to move my furry art into FA but im somewhat struggling with using the site, its not exactly user friendly [or stupid friendly to be more accurate]

i know how to post and tag but thats about it.
any tutorials on how to use the site properly? im struggling

quoting_mungo

What does “using the site properly” mean to you? To me proper use of the site (pretty much any site) has always been “however you want to use it.” If you, as an artist, can post art, then that would seem to be the key features covered, no?

(I totally don’t mean that in a patronizing or demeaning way, it’s a genuine question. People will be able to help you better if they know what sort of features you need help with.)

What does “using the site properly” mean to you? To me proper use of the site (pretty much any site) has always been “however you want to use it.” If you, as an artist, can post art, then that would seem to be the key features covered, no?

(I totally don’t mean that in a patronizing or demeaning way, it’s a genuine question. People will be able to help you better if they know what sort of features you need help with.)
thank you for the reply, and i apologize for my bad phrasing.

i mean maybe a tutorial that could explain things like how to use folders, it says folders are more than just folders in the upload page thingy
[it took me to 20 min to figure out how to link images in a commission page thingy]
i still dont know many things, like can have premium gallery or monetized downloads or the like? [im trying to wean myself off DA after the AI thing]

english is not my first language so if im phrasing things wrong still, please do tell! thank you

quoting_mungo

FA doesn’t have monetized downloads, but I know a lot of artists use Ko-fi for things like that (provided the downloads you want to do are in line with their TOS, obviously). I’m personally looking at maybe doing some digital download products through Itch.io.

FA+ will give you a few small extras, including a small boost in search results, but it’s not nearly as comprehensive as dA’s Core. It’s more like a Patreon subscription to FA, in a way; you get a few perks in return for supporting the site and site development.

It’s admittedly been half a forever since I set up my folders, so I can’t help you much on that front.

im unable to use kofi unfortunately, i will have to find a way around that

do you think that the perks are useful to a new member? im not exactly great at furry art [im still practicing] so im not sure.

i will be googling some more to figure out what folders do. they are apparently useful enough that fa+ gives you more of them, from what im understanding. so they must be special.

D

Deleted member 160111

FA+ will give you a few small extras, including a small boost in search results, but it’s not nearly as comprehensive as dA’s Core.
It’s admittedly been half a forever since I set up my folders, so I can’t help you much on that front.
I've been doing folder settings quite recently. And I consider the FA subscription as additional slots for systematization. All accounts are limited to 50 folders forever, but I have 42 of them right now! I've almost reached the limit. Ha ha.

I'm not sure I can give exhaustive help, but maybe I can. The main inconvenience that I see is the inability to delete several submissions in selected folder. I have to select all the submissions, press button to delete them from ALL folders, and then select folders for them again.
In general, if there is a specific question, I could take a couple of screenshots for clarity. The settings are ornate and not intuitive, but if you take the time to dig into it, everything will become simple.

Inferndragon

Dragon Doodler with a Tail Snake
For doing folders after you submitted stuff
Capture.PNG

From there add folder
Press Edit folder Name the folder
Click on the art you want to place in the folder
Go on Submission options
image.png

Change info
image.png

Click on the folder you want to add it to.
Then update. Tada you have stuff in a folder
(It's not a perfect guide because limited to 3 images on the FA forums but close enough)

vickers

FA a lot more barebones than dA, but I will do my best to explain the folder thing:

To setup a folder you need to do it from the upload page. You can then edit them on the Folder Management page on your settings. You can create groups for your folders as well on that page. Here's how mine look in my gallery for example (I use the old FA layout but hopefully it's still easy to understand)
Screenshot%202022-11-16%20at%2011-24-56%20Artwork%20Gallery%20for%20Kakithefox%20--%20Fur%20Affinity%20dot%20net.png

Another thing you should know is that, unlike dA, you cannot hide certain images from your main gallery, even if you put them into folders. They are there more so for personal organization. The only submissions that don't show up in the main gallery are your Scraps.

Also I should warn you: FA currently does not have a protection against AI harvesting bots. (at least not as far as I know.) Please be aware of this before you start posting.

If you have any other questions about the functionalities of the site, you can ask! Like quoting_mungo said, there's no right or wrong way to use the site. The only thing that I recommend is always set the right Maturity Rating.

[Edit: I see Inferndragon already did a more in depth tutorial above haha]

For doing folders after you submitted stuff
Capture.PNG

From there add folder
Press Edit folder Name the folder
Click on the art you want to place in the folder
Go on Submission options
image.png

Change info
image.png

Click on the folder you want to add it to.
Then update. Tada you have stuff in a folder
thank you sm! its very easy to understand.

if i may ask, is the folder thingy just a folder to organize your stuff, like is there anything more to it?
they give you more with fa+ so i was wondering if there is anything special about them?

Inferndragon

Dragon Doodler with a Tail Snake
thank you sm! its very easy to understand.

if i may ask, is the folder thingy just a folder to organize your stuff, like is there anything more to it?
they give you more with fa+ so i was wondering if there is anything special about them?
image.png

Folder system description.
  • Folders can be combined into groups, creating a two-level hierarchy.
  • It is possible to assign a submission into multiple folders.
  • Folders and groups will be displayed everywhere in the same order as presented below.
  • Deleting a folder group will not delete the folders it contains. The folders will just become un-groupped.
  • Editing a folder has an option to assign it to an existing, or into a new group.
  • Deleting a folder is safe, and will not remove the submissions it contained from your gallery.
  • Submission upload, submission edit, and the submissions management pages have shortcuts for creating new folders and groups, and assigning submissions into them.
  • The maximum amount of folders allowed is 50, the maximum amount of groups is 20
  • FA+ Perk: Members get an additional increase to their max folder and folder group limits.
This is what the page says once you press Gallery Folders

FA a lot more barebones than dA, but I will do my best to explain the folder thing:

To setup a folder you need to do it from the upload page. You can then edit them on the Folder Management page on your settings. You can create groups for your folders as well on that page. Here's how mine look in my gallery for example (I use the old FA layout but hopefully it's still easy to understand)
Screenshot%202022-11-16%20at%2011-24-56%20Artwork%20Gallery%20for%20Kakithefox%20--%20Fur%20Affinity%20dot%20net.png

Another thing you should know is that, unlike dA, you cannot hide certain images from your main gallery, even if you put them into folders. They are there more so for personal organization. The only submissions that don't show up in the main gallery are your Scraps.

Also I should warn you: FA currently does not have a protection for AI harvesting bots. (at least not as far as I know) Please be aware of this before you start posting.

If you have any other questions about the functionalities of the site, you can ask! Like quoting_mungo said, there's no right or wrong way to use the site. The only thing that I recommend is always set the right Maturity Rating.

[Edit: I see Inferndragon already did a more in depth tutorial above haha]
ohh thank you for the information about the AI thing.
unfortunately i dont think we can escape the ai harvesting issue, even da allowed their prograpm to scrap the site before letting us disable that. but at least fa doesnt endorse it and i guess thats as far of a win we get.

also thank you7 for the tutorial!

image.png

Folder system description.
  • Folders can be combined into groups, creating a two-level hierarchy.
  • It is possible to assign a submission into multiple folders.
  • Folders and groups will be displayed everywhere in the same order as presented below.
  • Deleting a folder group will not delete the folders it contains. The folders will just become un-groupped.
  • Editing a folder has an option to assign it to an existing, or into a new group.
  • Deleting a folder is safe, and will not remove the submissions it contained from your gallery.
  • Submission upload, submission edit, and the submissions management pages have shortcuts for creating new folders and groups, and assigning submissions into them.
  • The maximum amount of folders allowed is 50, the maximum amount of groups is 20
  • FA+ Perk: Members get an additional increase to their max folder and folder group limits.
This is what the page says once you press Gallery Folders
makes sense, thank you.

they are just to make things tidier or for the those who have purpose for them. my scribbles dont need them then.