• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is there an interest in music commissions?

fenugreek

IMPORTANT: This is not solicitation, I genuinely don't know if anyone cares about this; I don't care about the money. Edit: Also I can't even take commissions right now.

I've wanted to do this for some time now, that is, create music for people for whatever reason in "my style". Themes for characters, concepts for imaginary games (or not imaginary?), background music, whathaveyou.

I have a music style that is easy for me to do. I would describe it as "If Chiptune music tried to be hi-fi". I really don't need the money so prices would be low, it's more just the idea of making money with my art feels good, and getting inspiration from other's ideas, and interacting with people is what I care about.

Is there an interest? Even if you're not interested, do you think people would be?

Last edited:

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I have an interest, but not for this particular style.
I'm sure there are plenty of other people though. I always run into comments here, about how they're developing games and whatnot.

fenugreek

Hey Tyra, thanks for commenting. What style/genre would you be interested in? Just curious.

Edit: Also, as this is a a general discussion, feel free to go off topic, links to others music or composers or furaffinity is great.

fenugreek

Yeah, for the record, if I was going to pursue this I know the best rout would be to do things like that, auctions, well more importantly just starting to DO IT... for free at first, like, find some art, make some music, and eventually people would catch on like that.

TyraWadman

Hey Tyra, thanks for commenting. What style/genre would you be interested in? Just curious.

Edit: Also, as this is a a general discussion, feel free to go off topic, links to others music or composers or furaffinity is great.

Classical instruments/adventure music. Emotional, or something that really sets the mood/moment, like overworld theme music. Nothing I'd expect to hear in a pixel/sci-fi game really. XD
Depends on the story I'm working on though.

I don't really have anyone on FA that I have found/enjoyed. Almost everyone I run into pretty much takes old FF music, changes a couple of notes and calls it their own.

fenugreek

Hmm... I suddenly feel like doing orchestral music. I've done exactly that before, emotional score for a deviantart character. Had a string section, harpsichord, solo flute, solo voice, really simple, from freakin 14 years ago https://www.deviantart.com/argitoth/art/Lazuros-Theme-70959592. Since flash doesn't work anymore here's the music, upload temporarily: http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Lazuros Theme.mp3

Of course orchestral would be a popular genre for commissioned music. But you can do a lot with a little.

TyraWadman

Hmm... I suddenly feel like doing orchestral music. I've done exactly that before, emotional score for a deviantart character. Had a string section, harpsichord, solo flute, solo voice, really simple, from freakin 14 years ago https://www.deviantart.com/argitoth/art/Lazuros-Theme-70959592. Since flash doesn't work anymore here's the music, upload temporarily: http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Lazuros Theme.mp3

Of course orchestral would be a popular genre for commissioned music. But you can do a lot with a little.

Sounds awesome for something made 14 years ago! Definitely closer to the stuff that I like. X3

Guifrog

Blue Frog
Yeah, for the record, if I was going to pursue this I know the best rout would be to do things like that, auctions, well more importantly just starting to DO IT... for free at first, like, find some art, make some music, and eventually people would catch on like that.
There's definitely an interest in music comms, yep! I've made some myself, in a variety of genres, before I'd set towards different priorities in life.

I do think starting out by taking requests is a way of measuring it, besides expanding your portfolio, for a start. You could create a thread on the Art Exchange section, and maybe limiting the amount of requests you're willing to take in advance. You may also want to check the furry_musicians group on FA for other active artists.

Awesome music you got there, by the way!

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Since off-topics are ok: I'm a 3D artist getting into animation. I have this big idea of making furry music videos. Maybe not necessarily full-length as this can be too much to handle, but some 20-30 seconds sequences should be doable eventually. I'm pretty confident that with enough work I can make it. I could even start offering this as YCH at some point, when I'm proficient.

But the big problem is actually, what music to use? I wouldn't like it taken down for copyrights issues! I'm even considering learning some music-making program myself, but it might not work out too well as I have no musical skills in general. So the other option would be commissioning this, especially if the project reaches the YCH stage and becomes commercial.

However, I have a rather specific style in mind, different from yours. Probably the best example I can think of:

fenugreek

@Guifrog Thanks for the links! I'll check those out. Also, thx for the compliment!

@Pomorek Sounds like psytrance, and reminds me of Xtreme G 3 music. It sounds very classic... a little too classic for my tastes. Actually, I could adjust my style to make something like this. Here's something that's a little more modern, what about something more like this? Edit: (I didn't make it)... p.s. psytrance is my favorite genre of electronic music. Would love to make this stuff.

Last edited:

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
@Guifrog Thanks for the links! I'll check those out. Also, thx for the compliment!

@Pomorek Sounds like psytrance, and reminds me of Xtreme G 3 music. It sounds very classic... a little too classic for my tastes. Actually, I could adjust my style to make something like this. Here's something that's a little more modern, what about something more like this? Edit: (I didn't make it)... p.s. psytrance is my favorite genre of electronic music. Would love to make this stuff.

Well, personally I don't care if something is modern or not... I still like the classic take on it better (specifically this is the "nitzhonot"/"nitzogoa" subgenre, characterized by a lot of power). The modern one could go as well, but I'd really like it to keep the sheer force of the piece I linked. Especially after 5:50, it's pure nuclear blast! :D

Regarding your message, these music videos are actually quite far-fetched plan right now. I want to work toward it, I think I've got the skills it takes, but it will be months (at least) before I have any specific needs for a music piece. But in any case, I'll keep you in mind. If you make any psytrance, be sure to let me know.

Also, any idea of a beginner-friendly program for making such things which I possibly could try?

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Ok, check my furaffinity account journal entry, can't post a bunch of links here: https://www.furaffinity.net/journal/9775174/
Thanks! Frankly, there's a lot of stuff unknown to me, it will take some time to absorb...

I encountered something called Jeskola Buzz, clearly has been used for psytrance as evidenced on YT. It's a freeware and looks interesting. Especially because of the interface. It's all node-based, and I'm very used to node-based approaches in my 3D.

fenugreek

Uhh, Jeskola Buzz doesn't have a piano roll? It's a tracker? I have very little experience with tracker-based sequencing, you'll have to follow your inspiration and try things out. You can always try multiple DAWs to see which one feels the best.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Uhh, Jeskola Buzz doesn't have a piano roll? It's a tracker? I have very little experience with tracker-based sequencing, you'll have to follow your inspiration and try things out. You can always try multiple DAWs to see which one feels the best.
Never mind, I have zero idea about these things at the moment. ;) Which doesn't bode well for my capacity for doing anything useful with this, but well, can't have everything...

fenugreek

Alright, I'm actually doing an art trade right now for my music and I can't... I just cant...

I have to make the music good which is going to take up all my Saturdays for the next month I'm sure, kinda sucks that music takes me this long to make. I might do more trades in the future, can I even do 4 trades a year? That's ridiculous, I need to get faster at composing. 12 full quality compositions a year should be my goal. If I can't do that I need to think about retiring from existence.

Edit: Ok but I am actually happy about the music request, I need to do this to grow as a composter, a style of music I've never done.

TyraWadman

Alright, I'm actually doing an art trade right now for my music and I can't... I just cant...

I have to make the music good which is going to take up all my Saturdays for the next month I'm sure, kinda sucks that music takes me this long to make. I might do more trades in the future, can I even do 4 trades a year? That's ridiculous, I need to get faster at composing. 12 full quality compositions a year should be my goal. If I can't do that I need to think about retiring from existence.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to become faster but don't be so hard on yourself! Treat it as a learning experience instead!

If the art matches the quality of your output, then should it not be worth the suffering? XD

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena

Edit: Ok but I am actually happy about the music request, I need to do this to grow as a composter, a style of music I've never done.
Oh, I feel you... That's why I'm not doing commissions and such. It would literally take forever to finish.

fenugreek

Yes, yes... BUT.

I honestly would rather do commissions than just randomly sit down and make music for myself. Like... I really do actually want people to tell me what to compose. I guess because when I was young I wanted to do it for a living, but I don't know how pro composers do it. I would need hundreds of dollars per piece of music at my speed. You gotta be crazy to make music for a living, be fast, efficient, have the brain to pull melodies and chords at a moments notice. Gah.

I dunno, with enough practice doing commissions, my hope is that I'll get faster and more comfortable with it.

Egg Squid Frog System

Resin & traditional artist & musician :3
I've seen someone do auctions for slots to make fursona-inspired themes, they seemed to have some success with it! so there is a general interest in music commissions, depends on who you ask if they'd be interested in your work specifically tho
Oh! Are these included/mentioned in any of the threads on the forum? I'd be up to doing that but I'm not sure where to start on this platform when it comes to advertising <3