• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Is there someone you've known who has had cancer?

Have you had any past experiences with this illness?

• I have known someone whom has had Cancer.

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I have had Cancer myself.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have not known anyone whom has had cancer.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

PolarizedBear

Whitest guy you know.
Or have you had it yourself?

How did you react and what did you do to cope?
Did they pass away or were they able to be cured?
Is there anything that you know now that you wish you knew back then?
Do you feel selfish for crying about it?

I understand these are sensitive questions about a sensitive topic so don't force yourself to answer.
I would appreciate though it if anyone has had any personal experience with the disease themselves or has known anyone to have contracted it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
I've had a girlfriend with leukemia. It was quite scary for a while, but everything turned out fine in the end, and she got cured of it.

Pompadork

Bowman
My grandma passed away of cancer a handful of years ago. I always feel stupid fucking guilty because at the time I was going through a “Too cool for emotions” phase and I remember trying to act all tough when I first got the news but the moment I was alone I fucking bawled. I’m especially upset with younger me because I was really close to her. We lived with her for a huge portion of my life and she was one of the few relatives I had that was someone I actually had a relationship with.
I can’t even really say I had a way to actually cope with it, the topic of death and disease is a really scary topic for me and I know it’s that thing of everyone dies and you have to come to terms at some point but I am in no way at a point in my life yet where that’s something that wont make me an absolute emotional mess.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
Mostly everyone in my family who has passed, has died of cancer. My family has always had an increased risk and I’ve had a few scares myself. Idk what I would do if I was diagnosed.

I hate to say it but I honestly got more jaded to it with each funeral. It just kinda stopped affecting me as strongly. I feel bad about it but I just... can’t feel bad.

S

Scales42

I dont exactly like talking about this, but I think it might be helpful. A person very close to me passed away last year due to cancer. And I wish I would have spend more time with this person. Told her how much she means to me. And iam so glad that I had a last chance to say goodbye. A few hours later and It would have been too late. There is nothing worse than seing your loved ones go and not being able to do anything about. You just stand there helplessly, waiting.

D

Deleted member 111470

Yeah, a close relative had lung cancer. It was very painful to see them struggling more and more as each day went on. Their pain was extreme and they had to take morphine, and even that wasn't enough to help in the end.

It was one of the most traumatic things I've experienced, and although at some point I was smoking, I've since quit. I don't want to increase my chance of getting that.

Just remembering about it makes me shiver.

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
Yes. My grandmother died to it.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
My great aunt had breast cancer and lung cancer. She died very young (in her 40s) because the doctors insisted she couldn’t have breast cancer at her age. When she finally found someone to check, it had spread to her lungs and it was too late.

My grandfather got lymphoma and it receeded for years. When it came back it came back as lung cancer and wasn’t actually too bad, but where it was (wrapped around bronchial tubes) they couldn’t do anything and he was so afraid of being sick all the time he just asked for painkillers for a few months. It was very hard to watch.

Then I had an aunt (married to my uncle) that was so insistent she could beat it on her own she refused doctor assistance. Needless to say, it didn’t go well.

quoting_mungo

I've had multiple family members get cancer diagnoses, at different times in my/their lives:
My maternal grandmother had breast cancer I believe before I was born, possibly when I was an infant. When I was 3 it metastased to her skeleton. She was maybe in her 40s, I think?
A cousin (on my father's side) was diagnosed with a brain tumor when I was in I think first grade (can't recall how long she was sick). She was a year and a half younger than I.
My mother was diagnosed with a tumor on her eye a few years back. She's like... in her 50s now?

My reactions as a child were understandably pretty naïve. When my mother got her diagnosis, it was presented to me as a pretty treatable cancer, and my mother was pretty calm about it when I was around, at least, so I took it pretty calmly and figured it would work out.

My cousin and maternal grandmother sadly passed away. I was pretty torn up about my cousin, and I spent a lot of years angry about my grandmother's death due to a misunderstanding of her decisions about treatment and the severity of her condition. (I was also a small child so... limited comprehension of that situation.)

My mother's cancer was resistant to radiation treatment, so she had to have her eye removed, but she's fine now and has been cleared of any lingering cancer.

Nah. I understand now that my anger at the adults who weren't crying at my cousin's funeral was naïve and misdirected, but you should never feel bad about crying. Yes, it sucks for your loved one to go through the whole cancer thing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't also suck for you. You have a right to be scared, to mourn, and to be uspet about it. As long as you're not giving people with cancer shit for having cancer, you're not doing anything wrong. Handle your emotions the way you need to.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

- Never bothered me then and still doesn't bother me. If anything, it annoys me when people talk about what's gone
- Well, out of the 10 family members that have died in the past 10 years, 9 of them were cancer
- For the cancer ones? No, not really. For the one who died of a heart attack? Would have been nice to know of his real health. He was a baller dude
- I never cried then and I still don't cry about it. It's why I avoid the funerals; shit's awkward as hell to see a room for people crying while I sit there bored.

I may be a tad fucked in the head

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonMaster21

The Mistbinder
Or have you had it yourself?

Is there anything that you know now that you wish you knew back then?

I understand these are sensitive questions about a sensitive topic so don't force yourself to answer.
I would appreciate though it if anyone has had any personal experience with the disease themselves or has known anyone to have contracted it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.
My best friend's mom had cancer for the entirety of my friend's life. She was a great woman, who did a huge amount of charity stuff and help around the community. She had a big personality to match. There was almost always something going at their house that they were getting ready for.

She died in 2014 when her breast cancer spread to her brain.

I don't feel selfish for crying about it. She was an awesome human being, she deserved to see her son make Eagle Scout and graduate.

Can I ask why you're bringing this up? Is everything okay?

B

backpawscratcher

Unfortunately yes, way too many times. And every single time it takes another one it has hurt even worse. It’s a shitty shitty disease, one that takes all energy away not just from the sufferer but from everyone around them, and it leaves a terrible mark emotionally when the end comes.

DeeTheDragon

a bird-dragon paradox
My grandmother was taken by brain cancer. My family knew that something strange had been going on for a while, but she kinda just mentally checked out after she got the diagnosis.

I was so shocked at the time I didn't really know how to react. I kinda just emotionally checked out for the whole thing, it hit me pretty hard.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, or just sit around and chill with, we'll all be here for you @PolarizedBear

S

Sealab

I have a friend who's cancer is in remission. Dude's a champ and I cried my eyes out when I found out about it. He fought through it though, which was a feat in of itself. It's hard, I saw the chemo treatments practically wreck him, but he lived through it. When I'm in town we go to bars and he literally uses it as a pickup line. Cancer is a mean beast, and it's perfectly valid to feel upset about it, whether you have it or someone you know does.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aloveablebunny

My grandmother. Rest in peace. She had an aggressive brain cancer. Passed in November. </3

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Grandfather mesothelioma due to abestos from working at the shipyard at bath ironworks in Maine.

Really a shame. Guy was a strong as an Ox then suddenly he looked you dragged his add out of auchwitz

It's sad watching people who were strong fade away to nothing.

Another family just dropped dead of cancer. It was everywhere in him.

Cancer fucking scares me.