• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

It's Marmageddon!

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
It seems that the Christchurch earthquake in 2011 has had another significant impact on New Zealand society - THE MARMITE IS RUNNING OUT!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/6602814/Marmite-flies-off-shelves-while-traders-cash-in
Marmite has been flying off supermarket shelves after its maker warned a shortage was unavoidable.

Traders are also cashing in on the Marmite crisis, asking as much as [NZ]$800 for a jar of the black gold on Trade Me.

Manufacturer Sanitarium has warned New Zealand's stock of the breakfast favourite is expected to run out within weeks.

The company has suspended production until July after earthquake damage to a cooling tower at the company's Christchurch factory rendered the nearby Marmite building unsafe.
[...]
Progressive Enterprises, which owns Countdown, confirmed yesterday they would not start rationing, but expected to run out of stock in all its supermarkets within two weeks.

The Christchurch plant produces about 640,000kg of Marmite every year.

This is truly sobering stuff. How will the country cope when the last jars of the country's signature breakfast spread have been consumed? This is worse than running out of coffee - and with all due respect, British Marmite just won't cut it as a substitute. The Aussie Vegemite will do at a pinch, but after a while on nothing but that there will be rioting on the streets... the government will have to release the national Strategic Marmite Reserve :)

L

LizardKing

You have my sympathies. A day without Marmite is a terrible thing.

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
I thought this was about Marmaduke
;c

Also I hate marmite.

Cocobanana

It's a salty spread that I think is used as a substitute for butter on toast among other things. Like Vegemite...

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
It's a salty spread that I think is used as a substitute for butter on toast among other things. Like Vegemite...

Not quite - it's a yeast extract spread that is spread on top of butter on toast.

Remember, spread your Marmite thinly... :)

L

LizardKing

Not quite - it's a yeast extract spread that is spread on top of butter on toast.

Remember, spread your Marmite thinly... :)

If you can still see the Marmite, there's too much of it.

(On average)

Cocobanana

So if you get Marmite on your nads can you get a yeast infection?

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I tried Vegemite a few times. It's... um... yeah. I can imagine one might grow to like it, but I'm not willing to put in quite that much effort.
I suppose if I can find it I should try Marmite sometime. But I doubt I could get anything but the British version here, especially if there's a shortage of New Zealander Marmite.

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
To me that fact it has " Mite " in the name, is enough for me not to try it.