• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

It's not theft unless tangible goods were taken from the owner!

Is it theft if no tangible goods were taken from the owner!

• Yes

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
I see a lot of people who like to steal music, movies, video games and so on make this argument, what do you think of it? Also what are your thoughts on this kind of theft as a whole, do you think that by stealing these things people are destroying the industries and individuals who create them?

I'm talking about art theft and the like as well as downloading.

Last edited:

hillbilly guy

i gots me a scatter gun
well if your steeling music from all the top artist it aint gona hurt them to mutch
but if you take it from the small time peaple you are killing them if they depend on the profit from thir song

Nylak

Angry Otter
Absolutely theft. I've had to deal with enough art theft to get pissy about the subject.

Someone broke into your house and stole your art? D:

Stealing art and music isn't stealing goods, it's stealing services, the service being entertainment. Still stealing in my eyes, in that your stealing the money the artist in question would earn from the art they created. Also I was talking about downloading as well, I should make that clear.

lobosabio

Dance the Mussolini
I say yes because despite it not having a physical representation it is still the creation of someone and thus taking it does constitute theft. Theft of music off the internet is still theft even though you're not pulling a record off the shelf.

It's not stealing, it's people whining when they can't afford their 15th yaught.

When it's an underground musician or freelance artist? Not everyone in the entertainment industry is rich, downloading doesn't hurt the mainstream industry types, but everyone else suffers. Which leaves people with nothing but shit music to listen to.

Last edited:
A lot of money is lost on the sale of an item that isn't an actual touchable good. So you're asking money for nothing.

Technically you're asking money for the entertainment that product provides, which is a service and therefore something.

Monak

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
wow someone found a topic that will cause massive butthurt yet doesn't involve god.................................................................. I am stunned.

KittehChrisX

FEAR ME RAWR
It's theft when something is taken.
I don't think a Nintendo DS and related games are worth the price they cost. I don't consider it theft, in this case, for me to download, since the companies never would have gotten my money in the first place, uTorrent or not.
However, the price of Al Stewart's latest album, A Beach Full of Shells, is worth the $15 it costs, to me. It could be considered theft if I downloaded his album and never bought it, which is why I now have a fully legal CD in my shelf.

TheGreatCrusader

Avast, Ye Scurvy Dogs!
You seem to be assuming that people would pay for a copy of the song/movie/book/whatever if they weren't choosing to copy it freely.
You are the one who bought it, not other people. In order to own the song you should have to pay for it.

Downloading a torrent is as bad as going to the store and tstealing something off of the shelves. There is no argument. You didn't buy it. You shouldn't have free reign over it.

You seem to be assuming that people would pay for a copy of the song/movie/book/whatever if they weren't choosing to copy it freely.

If people don't want to pay for something they shouldn't have it, the fact that people don't feel like paying for something doesn't justify it's theft. People don't want to pay for anything, that doesn't make it OK to steal it. Downloading an album instead of buying it is no different then stealing money directly out of a musicians pocket. Downloading hurts record sales, the obvious conclusion is that if people didn't have the option of easy theft they'd be more inclined to pay for it.

mctanuki

Fursuiting Nerd
If people don't want to pay for something they shouldn't have it, the fact that people don't feel like paying for something doesn't justify it's theft. People don't want to pay for anything, that doesn't make it OK to steal it. Downloading an album instead of buying it is no different then stealing money directly out of a musicians pocket. Downloading hurts record sales, the obvious conclusion is that if people didn't have the option of easy theft they'd be more inclined to pay for it.

Do you have any evidence for your claim that downloading hurts album sales?

Your analogy to taking money from a musician is faulty, given that the musician has no less money when one downloads their song than if they hadn't downloaded it.