• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unemployed?

• Total voters

Vermilion

Hi,

I've been trying to get commissions for a while now and nothing seems to work.
I'm interested in finding out if there are certain things that people look for in a piece.
How much does price play a roll? If $5 for a piece why wouldn't you buy it?
Is NSFW really the only kind of art that really sells?

I need a buyer's view that's not my own.
When I have money I would LOVE to commission people.
Is it really just that? Are so many unemployed and that's the reason?
I really don't know, but willing to learn and listen.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
When I buy stuff, I usually do that from artists I consider both good at their work and, most of all, irreplaceable. There are many artists on FA who are somewhat semi-decent, but just too generic and boring in their style to really stand out from the rest of the crowd, and it's much more likely that I'll pay to somebody who makes something nobody else can create, be it quirky and unique artists like pleistocene, or accomplished masters of character design like TealfulEyes. That's also the approach I took when selling my commissions - I'm not that proficient at drawing stuff, but I'm good at making cool animated pixel/voxel/vector gifs (here's my stuff), and since I have unique style and niche to my work, people can't really buy stuff like this anywhere else, so I have my audience. If I just drew generic furry dudes, I would barely earn anything from that, honestly.

Also, yeah, NSFW sells, since eroticism-obsessed audience is usually much less picky, but it's a thankless job, if you ask me - competition is high, consumers generally aren't very pleasant to work with, and if you're not a technical prodigy or something, you need to bring your prices rather low to even have a chance to sell anything.

TL;DR: Best option is either git really gud, or find interesting niche that isn't taken by somebody else.

BuzzPaw

Wait, really? W-woops..
First thing to understand about commissioners is that the furry community is full of them. A lot of people here know how to draw and do it well. This is what makes it so hard to sell. This is also why not many people buy artwork, why buy a 5-10$ item when you can draw it yourself for free? With that said, there are quite a few in the community who do like buying commissions, so it's not a total bust, but more like a side job.

As far as buying, if I where to buy anything, I would enjoy top quality at a reasonably low price. Being completely honest, I wouldn't buy a 100$ drawing of my character, regardless of the quality. The anime style is really cool, realistic, chibi, or even simply cartoony, like the Animaniacs.

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
I look at everything from price to artstyle to quality and time spent on the piece(s) when commissioning someone.

If I get accustomed to any particular artist, which I have, I will end up commissioning them again.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
I have money, but it's extremely rare that I commission anyone. If I do, it's going to be a very skilled artist whose style I like; and I'm probably going to spend $30 to $100 depending on the details. If I'm going to burn $5 it's going to be for a Steam game or a snack, not budget art that I won't ever look at.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I play quality control whenever I choose to commission. Consequentially, the few pieces I have commissioned so far have largely been $80+ from artists I like for their artstyle and quality. Some commissions I have no problem paying less for if I'm only looking at getting concept art, but that's not often.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
don't give up!!! if you're looking to gain money from art maybe pursue a degree in animation, graphic design, storyboarding, etc. Commissions are difficult to make money off of....mostly because art is not something that is needed...its a luxury item. The people who are living off their commissions started at the bottom too...they had to work for where they're at now...you too have to put in more work and what not. My motto is keep striving to improve....you can always post that you have commissions available and then, in the mean time, draw what you love...and post that. I believe if you put in the work needed you'll eventually get more commissions. Focus on getting yourself out there, show your art, offer trades, draw things for your friends and family, do what you can to get your name out there and eventually you'll get people who like your art and want to commission you.

Commissions are awesome but im definitely not in a place where i can live off of them....its nice however to get paid and be able to buy more markers and stuff. Until then i keep trying to improve.

Activoid

Ace Artist
When I buy commissions, I take both price and quality of art into play. (And if it's someone I know personally, that usually is a factor for me as well, but that's just a personal preference)

If someone's art is REALLY goddamn amazing, like Karla Ortiz or Todd Hebenstreit or Eric Geusz or Crystal Sully or something, then seeing them charge anything less than $100 for any kind of commission is a hell of a deal, in my book. But to be fair, those are people that I already know, and those are people that have been working at their craft for like 20+ years, and their art quality really shows.

I know a lot of people like to say "everyone's art is equal, no one is better than anyone else" and "no one should compare their art to other artists" and other things that only cater to feelings, but sometimes we all need a slap in the face by reality by realizing that our art (and other people's art) might not be worth what we think it's worth... Whether that worth be monetary, emotional, or otherwise. Not all art is good, and not all art is equal. As such, not all art is worth paying money for, and not all art is worth the same, price-wise.

I know you said you wanted a point of view other than your own from a buyer's view. But as someone who is both a buyer and seller of artwork, and someone with 10+ years of marketing and selling experience, I think you're actually on the right track looking within yourself to find the answers. Ask yourself what YOU personally would pay money for. Find a cool piece of art that you love, that you think is absolutely amazing, by your opinion and standards. Look at that artist's commission prices. Read about that artist to see how long they've been honing their craft, how they learned to do what they do so well. Then look at your own body of work, and ask yourself how it compares to your ideal purchase from a technical, conceptual, and aesthetic standpoint.

From there, consider what price your art commissions would be worth. In other words, be realistic. Be honest with yourself.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
If people are employed they tend to spend money on stuff they NEED first, like food and gas. So the people that make money regularly from consumers work at restaurants and gas stations.

For art? There is a lot of enterntainment value and need for personal satisfaction, so people DO buy it if they have any to spare after buying stuff they need first. The competition between artists is significantly high, though. Most artists really want to get money for drawing...in order to stand out you have to create something new and different, constantly advertise and promote on multiple sites on an extremely frequent basis, be skilled in the trade, or have a new twist in doing something that draws people's attention.

I'm a realist so I feel like anyone who wants to make any income in the entertainment industry really needs to understand the level of work that goes into it and not expect things to take off automatically just because you CAN offer entertainment

In my case, I don't make a lot of money so I don't commission much at all. When I do commission, it's quality pieces from artists I really like in the mid-level range ($10-$20). I have bought $1 and $5 pieces from people, usually YCHs or chibis that had a unique, cute, interesting appeal to them and are good quality

Last edited: