• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

It's your fault if you failed to update your electronic mail.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
If you're an active Internet user, trying to keep everything on every profile for every site up to date is a sure way to become crazy - it's understandable that many people don't consider changing e-mail on some furry website all that important, since the only advantage it gives is to restore the password you know too well to forget, and occasionally receive some useless update news you don't need. It's totally Furaffinity's fault for not stating the importance of changing the mail before force resetting every password without any warning - in fact, even a simple "guys, re-check your mail, or y'all lose your accounts soon, duh" message would do. It should be a freaking common sense on side of FA's staff (or any social network staff for that matter), and with all my respect to their hard work and willingness to resolve the issue, let's be honest and objective - they kinda screwed up on that one.

Actually they did give a warning. They had the warning up all week, since the site first came back up, advising people to change their emails and passwords since the hackers may have access to them. Later on, right before they set it to ROM, they confirmed that the hackers did in fact have access to our passwords and emails and told people they needed to reset them before deciding a 'force reset' was needed.
It was where it now says 'administer notice' on FA

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Actually they did give a warning. They had the warning up all week, since the site first came back up, advising people to change their emails and passwords since the hackers may have access to them. Later on, right before they set it to ROM, they confirmed that the hackers did in fact have access to our passwords and emails and told people they needed to reset them before deciding a 'force reset' was needed.

There was something akin to recommendation, related specifically to the passwords. I decided not to change mine, since it's specific to the site anyway. Judging by how many people lost their accounts, I wasn't the only one. The primary problem I see is that nobody was warned about force resetting. If they openly said that "we'll reset your passwords soon", that would be a good reason for users to hurry up and update the info, and then you could blame them for not doing so. If you own a relatively big social network, never make such radical decisions without mentioning the userbase about it beforehand, or you can end up with days of crap to dig, which is exactly what happened.

HTML

<neck content="beard"/>
There was something akin to recommendation, related specifically to the passwords. I decided not to change mine, since it's specific to the site anyway. Judging by how many people lost their accounts, I wasn't the only one. The primary problem I see is that nobody was warned about force resetting. If they openly said that "we'll reset your passwords soon", that would be a good reason for users to hurry up and update the info, and then you could blame them for not doing so. If you own a relatively big social network, never make such radical decisions without mentioning the userbase about it beforehand, or you can end up with days of crap to dig, which is exactly what happened.
The problem with that is it then becomes a race. There would be a chance of the hackers getting into the accounts before the owner does, possibly by the way of a bot (think massive account takeovers). I think it's a tricky situation that requires a lot of thinking before taking any sort of drastic action. They could maybe limit password changes to the same IP as the last logged in session of the account, but people with dynamic IPs might be SOL.

Boha

personally I must say, that the site makes it easy to forget that you even have an email adress assigned to your user ^^
I mean you don't get any notifications or anything (Which also is something great, as other sites spam you with changes on the site or new features, that you don't need). But slowly over the years you forget to care about your email here (My account is now 10 years old).

I think that there is a simple way to prevent this from happening next time. The users should use their email address to login. With this, the email would be more in the focus of the users. And that you would forget your Nickname, because you don't use it anymore for logins, is not so likely.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon

Thats nice for people who visit the site everyday. Some of us have lives, I myself was on out of town during the brunt of the attack - I know a few people who were also out and away and FA is a source of income for them. If you're going to wipe a password database - which shouldn't happen - like ever, its absolutely imperative that your recovery system is on point - FA's is not.

OP and like-minded posters want to through the blame on to users when FA only requires you use your email address once in your entire time on the site, when you first sign up. Most of us have had our accounts for years and not once has FA made use of email addresses. Now their security is compromised and all of a sudden these cobweb ridden tidbits of information that haven't seen the light of day since you first signed up are the keys to getting back into your account. Even small, near free forum sites make use of your email address with notifications. Its not the users fault for forgetting to change their emails on a site that doesn't make use of that information.

NiGHTS4life

The second time I contacted FA via email I just got a message saying it was delayed. I'll never get my old account back.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
ACTUALLY
no they didnt
The only thing they mentioned about Passwords when the site first came up is that they advised folks to change their passwords as they DO NOT KNOW that the folks who attacked the site may have taken also user information of emails and passwords. They THEN at the bottom stated "yes your password was protected by hashing and salting (that turned out to not be true). We were told "maybe you should chance your password" then two days later they put the site into Read only mode meaning we couldnt change our password nor update the email...

The only reason I turned out fine is cause I had a friend who did see the messages went and double check if my set emails are the ones I heavily used (I currently use 10 different emails) since I was spending most of my time at work and and sleeping in cause I was sick.
Then theres the thing of what many users do is "visit the site on a specific day" which my specific day to visit FA is Monday, then on friday (cause friday is the common day many artist open for commissions cause paydays tend to fall on thursdays and fridays) So I was away for the first update and only saw the Read only Mode update.

Last edited:

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
c3bc4efe1c5e9ed5d0eb9c2f7d5317d5.jpg

I meant no offense to my statements. Should direct your comments to the original post of this thread for it was they who said, "Forgetting isn't an excuse"

RyumaruBorike

They gave a two day warning to update your password (which I did) but said nothing about emails before putting the site in read only then doing a forced wipe, not letting anyone get a chance to see if their emails were up to date.

keeshah

strange how this trolling thread remains unlocked.
While all the threads asking legitimate questions about how the the wait might be before there emails are replied too get summarily locked.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
While all the threads asking legitimate questions about how the the wait might be before there emails are replied too get summarily locked.
IMVU might own FA, but the same kind of people still moderate it.
If you're ever unsure or just aren't familiar with the way things work around here, FA and FAF run on a policy of "Silence anything that highlights mistakes or incompetence, always allow for ball-fondling regardless of relevance."
The multitude of threads asking about email disassociation with accounts shows how widespread the effects of this lapse in judgement are.
Threads like this one, however, take the heat off of staff and turns our discontent toward each other instead.
In short, this thread has made for a perfect distraction - furries would much rather yell at each other than inquire on an issue that prevents them from using the site.

Wakboth

Probably because they proliferate like weeds, and the best answer that can be given is "It takes as long as it takes, sorry."

Also, this is not a trolling thread. It's a bit aggressive, sure, but ultimately if you don't have a functioning e-mail listed on FA, it really is your own fault.

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
Yeah..plus i cannot believe he locked the ONLY thread that users could advise each other on responses from the accounts@furaffinity.net email. That was a HARMLESS thread and did not need to be locked.

Has anyone noticed that its the same mod who is doing all the locking? I even got a "warning" for a harmless Einstein meme.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
I really wouldn't call this trolling. I mean honestly the drama here isn't that bad xD It's not like some of the other threads that got locked. People were seriously down each other's throats. Even people who replied to try and help got insulted.
This thread just speaks truth that some people don't want to hear. When you create an account, on any site, you provide an email for the 'just in case' moment that you forget your password, or that someone hacks your account and changes it, or a password reset is necessary. It's a security measure from which we, the account owners, are responsible for. If we don't take it seriously, it isn't anyone's fault but our own. Even in this case, where FA didn't let anyone know to check their emails. It isn't up to them to remind us to keep things up to date.

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
People get so butthurt over everything. You can cough here and people will throw a tantrum.
I can't agree more! People need to calm down, it's just getting their mail/password info dumped to some hacker and losing their accounts for no good reason!
..I mean, come on, don't be silly. Problems were stacking up more and more since the attack. People tried to be calm about it on forums, but then more and more crap started happening in a row. Some of them put a lot of money into donations for the site in the past and got this clusterbutt in return, some lost a lot of potential YCH and commision clients. It's not like everybody got pissed on this subforum in one night, after all.

Last edited:

Dragonley

Nephuel
I can't agree more! People need to calm down, it's just getting their mail/password info dumped to some hacker and losing their accounts for no good reason!
..I mean, come on, don't be silly. Problems were stacking up more and more since the attack. People tried to be calm about it on forums, but then more and more crap started happening in a row. Some of them put a lot of money into donations for the site in the past and got this clusterbutt in return, some lost a lot of potential YCH and commision clients. It's not like everybody got pissed on this subforum in one night, after all.

Maybe people should donate money to things that actually matter in this world instead of a site that has a lot of controversy behind it. :V

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Maybe people should donate money to things that actually matter in this world instead of a site that has a lot of controversy behind it. :V
Probably, but it's their hard-earned money after all - in the end people can spend the money they work their ass for on anything they want. In current case, all they wanted is a stable, secured community, but well... I'm kinda glad I didn't donate anything since 2008 c:

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Any site can be hacked. No matter the security. If the right person wants to hack it. Hell, DeviantArt isn't a non-profit oginization and people's accounts get hacked on a daily bases.
Besides, no matter how they chose to handle the situation, the same people would have found a reason to bitch about it *shrugs*