• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I've been told my art sucks... opinions?

blotch

KitsuneKit said:
I've been told that in general my artwork sucks.

What are your thoughts on my artwork. [here]
and what do you think I can do to improve it?

Well, I'd say the first thing is to take negative criticism, especially something so boldface as "your art sucks", with a grain of salt. Art is something that's perpetually improving--and subject to some serious point of opinion.

Criticism is great when it's constructive, but when it comes down to "this is good, this is bad" its not really helpful criticism--in fact, it's just someone's opinion. It's only your own opinion that matters. Do you like your art? Are you happy where it is, or do you want to keep working at it? The drive for improvement is what inspires and keeps an artist working. I have a really hard time stepping back from something I've just done and saying I'm satisfied. I see a thousand myriad little details that could be better...but the point of improving is setting the pen down and picking it up again on something new. Progress can not to be judged by a single piece.

The short end of what I'm saying is simply: ignore opinion, relish constructive criticism, but work only for yourself.
If you don't like a piece, try again, and again. Art is a series of small epiphanies and the only way to get better is work at it. :]

In regards to your art in specific--I see you've mostly been coloring stuff, and that looks great. Of course, the more you do, the better you get. :]
If you want to take your own art further, the next step really is life-drawing, both people and animals. The best way to represent something as a cartoon is to understand it as it really is.

Draw lots, practice lots! There will always be negative criticism and the only way to overcome that is just work for yourself, then step away from it and move on to something new! :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Hey man, your art doesnt suck. You're like me! A member of club mediocre! Have a YooHoo with me ;) I know it sounds bad , and in fact this is probably the worst time we face as artists. I know I get depressed alot because I get that feeling that I'll be stuck here forever and never be "good" But the great thing for people like you and me is that, we've fought so hard to get to the point that we are. We've past the first test! Getting past all the initial doubts is someplace that most people dont even get to. We CAN reach our true potential, we just gotta stick with it, and ignore all the nay sayers. After all, this person who says you suck probably isnt "good" artist themself, if they are even an artist at all. And if they are a "good" artist, then this person seems to have forgot where they came from, and deserves neither your respect nor admiration. After all, I'm sure even Blotch was mediocre at one time ;)

KitsuneKit

blotch said:
In regards to your art in specific--I see you've mostly been coloring stuff, and that looks great. Of course, the more you do, the better you get. :]
If you want to take your own art further, the next step really is life-drawing, both people and animals. The best way to represent something as a cartoon is to understand it as it really is.

Draw lots, practice lots! There will always be negative criticism and the only way to overcome that is just work for yourself, then step away from it and move on to something new! :]

Thank you and I will try drawing more "life drawings" I have been doing everything right out of my mind and I can see that I've lost track of what things look like in there.

Thanks for your thoughts.

DARKWOLFE

your arts very good and shows much potential,to those who simply say your art sucks ignore them listen to those who offer constructive crtique and keep practacing if i,d have listened to all the wankers who told me my art sucked or i should do the world a favour and stop drawing i wouldn,t be here :)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
KitsuneKit said:

That's ok, I've been told that about my art too. Then again, even I think my art sucks. (Because I feel there's always room for improvement).

The better question as you presented here is "Why does it suck" ie "how do I improve"

If the person can't answer, then you'll have to ignore their comment and move on. Those that can give you ideas on how to improve, such as learning and understanding life drawing, anatomy and practices on how to hold your utensil to draw are good suggestions.

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
Like the old saying goes, "Everyone has ten thousand lousy drawings in 'em." So, keep scribbling and you'll get better! :)

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
KitsuneKit said:

if someone's telling u ur art sucks, put that user on ur block list, so u don't have to deal w/the harrasments they throw at u!