• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

I've had an account for a while, but never had the courage to post

Ziv

PokéManiac
Hi! As you can see, my username is Ziv... although I go by a few different names and tbh I'm not 100% sure what username I want to go on here yet.

I've been on the fringes of the furry fandom for a few years now. I recently decided to get into fursuiting-lite (like ears, tail, paws but not the full body... yet) and ordered a custom tail for my fursona, who is a cheshire cat. I've been compared to a cheshire cat in real life due to my... somewhat odd personality? The tail has light blue and "galaxy" color stripes with a white tip of the tail, but I've kind of gone about this backwards by designing the costume before having an illustration of the character, so I'm definitely looking for someone who can draw him. Hopefully this forum can help connect me with someone like that.

About me... I'm a PhD student and I really love Pokemon and card games. I'm trans and identify as masculine-adjacent, whatever that means to you, and I use he/him pronouns... and I have autism and severe bipolar disorder, which unfortunately rules over a lot of my life. I can't drive because of my disability but I'd really like to go to a fur convention one day. I guess that isn't possible right now, though.

FooFoo4230

Hello, and welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here and make friends! (Won’t be too difficult, because people are fairly friendly.) As for going about things in an unusual way, that’s fine, everyone’s different, and I bet somebody will be able to help draw your character.

Hound-of-chulainn

Hey Ziv, welcome to the community. There are a bunch of artists on here. So I'm sure you'll find someone with an art style you like that can help you design your character. :)
What's your favorite pokemon?

Yakamaru

Your average Stand enjoyer
Welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Hey Ziv, welcome to the community. There are a bunch of artists on here. So I'm sure you'll find someone with an art style you like that can help you design your character. :)
What's your favorite pokemon?

I have multiple favorites, because it's very hard to choose! Porygon-Z, Rotom, Decidueye, Smeargle, Eevee, and Minccino are among my favorites.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
Hello amd welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, what is the subject of your doctorate.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Hello amd welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, what is the subject of your doctorate.
I don't mind at all! My PhD is in psychology, I'm kind of a mix between clinical and quantitative/computational.

Welcome to the forum! Your fursona sounds rad and I'd totally be interested in seeing the final fursuit and/or any illustrations of him. :)
Thanks friend :)

PinchRib

*chuckles* i'm in danger.
Howdy!

As far as conventions go -- I also don't drive, so uh, save that money you would have otherwise spent on car, gas, insurance and repairs and use it to travel! Most cons are either in or near hotels, so if you follow your closest con's season schedule you should be able to book a room long in advance for lowest pricing. gathering friends to pool in a room is actually a lot of fun, too, and saves everyone money. just make sure everyone brings a sleeping bag and account for the space a fursuit would take up.

if none of those friends drive (or you're attending alone), bus tickets are relatively cheap, though i would recommend a nice leisurely train ride if it's available and you have the schedule freedom to do so.

keep a 100 dollar or so budget available at all times for uber / lyft if you want to get around the town or the convention is spread across a campus and it's bad weather or smthng. the 100 limit is in case you have to resort to yellow cab or your area's similar taxi company, as they can have 20-40 dollar minimal ride charges and you'll need the transport at least to and from the bus station / train depot / airport.

i am a pedestrian lifer, as they say (nobody says this); and i want more people more comfortable with walking and using public transport -- don't think of it as a disability, think of it as a metropolitan affection, as most people in most big cities can't or simply don't drive, too!

Ziv

PokéManiac
Howdy!

As far as conventions go -- I also don't drive, so uh, save that money you would have otherwise spent on car, gas, insurance and repairs and use it to travel! Most cons are either in or near hotels, so if you follow your closest con's season schedule you should be able to book a room long in advance for lowest pricing. gathering friends to pool in a room is actually a lot of fun, too, and saves everyone money. just make sure everyone brings a sleeping bag and account for the space a fursuit would take up.

if none of those friends drive (or you're attending alone), bus tickets are relatively cheap, though i would recommend a nice leisurely train ride if it's available and you have the schedule freedom to do so.

keep a 100 dollar or so budget available at all times for uber / lyft if you want to get around the town or the convention is spread across a campus and it's bad weather or smthng. the 100 limit is in case you have to resort to yellow cab or your area's similar taxi company, as they can have 20-40 dollar minimal ride charges and you'll need the transport at least to and from the bus station / train depot / airport.

i am a pedestrian lifer, as they say (nobody says this); and i want more people more comfortable with walking and using public transport -- don't think of it as a disability, think of it as a metropolitan affection, as most people in most big cities can't or simply don't drive, too!

Thanks for your advice, PinchRib. I see what you are saying... unfortunately, in most parts of the US it is quite a problem, and tbh I'm not a fan of cities because I'm extremely sensitive to noise :( but people like yourself make public transit more popular, so good on you.

I would definitely travel though, if I made a few friends in advance.

Tytysi

Legendary Shaman
Welcome aboard!! I hope you find the community to your liking. You’ll have no problem getting help with designs- plenty of artist around these parts- including myself! And myself- I’m Tytysi, Ty works just fine. Feel free to reach out if you’d ever wanna chat! I’m a casual fan of Pokémon and a die hard Magic: The Gathering fan- but sadly nobody I’m around irl cares to play with me haha. And I suffer a small bit of mental illness myself- many of us do! So I’m game to discuss that as well.

Anyways!! Welcome!!

Ziv

PokéManiac
Welcome aboard!! I hope you find the community to your liking. You’ll have no problem getting help with designs- plenty of artist around these parts- including myself! And myself- I’m Tytysi, Ty works just fine. Feel free to reach out if you’d ever wanna chat! I’m a casual fan of Pokémon and a die hard Magic: The Gathering fan- but sadly nobody I’m around irl cares to play with me haha. And I suffer a small bit of mental illness myself- many of us do! So I’m game to discuss that as well.

Anyways!! Welcome!!
I'm a huge fan of MtG, but I only really play EDH. If you play EDH we should definitely play on a simulator!

Tytysi

Legendary Shaman
I'm a huge fan of MtG, but I only really play EDH. If you play EDH we should definitely play on a simulator!
EDH is commander, right? I haven't played commander yet! I did use Arena for a bit there, but all the standard rules changed recently and every one of my decks became illegal ;-;

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Welcome! I'm sorry for the late welcome

I think there's some online fur conventions...but I haven't kept up with that. I do wonder how accessible conventions are for people with disabilities. I'd guess they're accessible cos the places they're set in are...but again, not too sure.

It's nice to meet you and I hope you settle in well!

Ziv

PokéManiac
EDH is commander, right? I haven't played commander yet! I did use Arena for a bit there, but all the standard rules changed recently and every one of my decks became illegal ;-;
EDH is commander, yeah.