• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Japanese anime industry in trouble

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
I used to watch quality anime back in 2008, but nowdays..
There are no good animes, no ecchi or hentai, not even a quality TG, or even seinen.
Even the fangirls are out of yaoi to watch, so they yuri in the darkness.

Zseliq

Bleach. Yes.

Shark_the_raptor

I'm in love with a pizza.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703819904574551834260925714.html

So, will those Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese studios be able to pick up the slack and provide nerds with quality anime? It looks like globalization is bringing things to the point where the anime industry we're used to from Japan is never coming back to its former glory.

Too bad newer anime is shit anyway with the exception of Gundam 00 and a few others, maybe.

Oh, in other news. There will be a continuation of the Inuyasha anime. :D They're bringing back the original cast as well.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Then where are all the Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese anime DVDs...?

You missed the point. Animation has been subcontracted out to those three for something along the lines of the last 20 years. Most of the stuff on TV now save for the stuff done by very small studios (Astro Base Go and Titmouse) is done over there, then shipped back here.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
The reason the anime stopped was because the ratings were in the crapper.
It was just like a fuckin' RPG. You add characters to your party, complete little quests here and there, get a little stronger and gain maybe two more abilities than you started with.

Pokeman

THE AWESOMEST
No! I will DIE without Poke'mon! Especially with the new Mystery Dungeon for Wii!

Doctor Timewolf

Time Traveller
I like the earlier pokemon stuff. After Jhoto it just died.

If that was when Ash gave his first set of Pokemon, I agree.

kazroo

Too bad newer anime is shit anyway with the exception of Gundam 00 and a few others, maybe.

Oh, in other news. There will be a continuation of the Inuyasha anime. :D They're bringing back the original cast as well.

NEW INUYASHA? NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
While I like anime, it isn't particularly "important" to me.
I'd just be loling at the japanophile mass suicide that would occur as a result.

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
You missed the point. Animation has been subcontracted out to those three for something along the lines of the last 20 years. Most of the stuff on TV now save for the stuff done by very small studios (Astro Base Go and Titmouse) is done over there, then shipped back here.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Though, if the inquiry is exactly about Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean anime then there are shows from animation studios in those countries. I've watched a few Chinese ones myself, problem is they'd never find a market in the US and worse don't have even the animation quality that your typical low budget anime has... which means that a lot of it looks as bad as you might think.

Last edited:

Geek

Chico
This is a pretty interesting look into matters, I found.

But yeah, I'll agree with Japanese DVDs being horribly overpriced. I've imported a few in my time, and I can tell you, paying £20-30 for a single disc with four to five episodes on isn't very fun. Considering you can get dual-language subtitled 13-episode anime box sets in the UK for £15 on release day (depending on the series and where you buy, obviosuly), Japan are getting royally fleeced by their own stuff.

kazroo

This is a pretty interesting look into matters, I found.

But yeah, I'll agree with Japanese DVDs being horribly overpriced. I've imported a few in my time, and I can tell you, paying £20-30 for a single disc with four to five episodes on isn't very fun. Considering you can get dual-language subtitled 13-episode anime box sets in the UK for £15 on release day (depending on the series and where you buy, obviosuly), Japan are getting royally fleeced by their own stuff.

that's what netflix (and illegal downloading) are for! XD