• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Jesus' tomb *ghostly "oooOOOooo!"*

Grimfang

lol.. sorry for the title.

I hadn't seen any discussions yet on the recent hype about the claimed finding of Jesus' tomb.

I was watching a documentary on the Discovery channel but only caught half of it. From what I saw, it was kind of convincing, although it didn't put me at 100% sure. I doubt we can ever be totally sure on gathering evidence from such ancient archaeological sites..

Anyways, what do you think? Fact or faux? Or maybe you just don't care.

I'm not a religious nut and don't intend to start a debate on religions here. Just curious to see what you all thought about it.

JohnTheRonso

I think it's fake... come on now, if it would be real then chaos would arise....

Grimfang

Ah, yes, we can't have that, hehe.

I guess the biggest obstacle to people accepting this (if they were Christian) is the belief that Jesus ascended into heaven, yada yada...

But, as an agnostic, I'm more open to new ideas and discoveries. So, it's interesting, but I dunno if I'm really sold on it.

dong

The general consensus among my social circles, atheist, agnostic and Christian alike are that it's sensationalist. Some go so far to say it's a rehash of already discounted theories.

Charha

I don't really care whether it's a fake or the real McCoy. I remember seeing some damn infomercials in tv advertising authentic stone crosses that were made of stone mined from the "birth cave of Jesus". Duh? Who would believe something like that let alone buy one? Only 99.99! Buy two, get the third one for free! Call now and we'll send you a documentary film about the making of the movie based on that da Vinci book although it has nothing to do with anything!

It doesn't make much of a difference where Jesus was born or where he was buried. People should concentrate on more essential things, like... what was he like as a historical person or are the things he allegedly said still significant to the modern people.

Either way, I'm strictly agnostic myself and more interested in sunspots than religion. Someone wake me up when they have more info about the gospel of Judas. That was more interesting. :3

Purplecat

Yeah, that about Judas is interesting from a theological perspective. Especially if it's a real gospel, that's been discarded somehow. It's a bit of a controversial gospel due to the way it reflects Judas.

I'm interesting in theological issues, although more because of anthropology and less for being actually religious myself. :p

i dont know, anyone can make a claim, i didn't watch it cause i didn't care. Even if it is Jesus' tomb, it still doesn't change my religious standpoint at all.

dong

Charha said:
Someone wake me up when they have more info about the gospel of Judas. That was more interesting. :3

Purplecat said:
I'm interesting in theological issues, although more because of anthropology and less for being actually religious myself. :p

Seconded. Well, maybe sociology as well. ;)

On a slightly unrelated note, who here has any opinions on Dawkins?

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
Frankly, I could care less if they found it. It could be fake, it could be real. I just don't really care. All in all I know that it's going to be all over the news and I'm going to have to hear about it.

dong

I don't think it's having to hear about the actual finding that's gonna bother people...more the bashing and flamewars it will inspire, desperate evangelists and desperate atheists alike. And we all heard it all before.

Grimfang

Yup.

Charha said:
I don't really care whether it's a fake or the real McCoy. I remember seeing some damn infomercials in tv advertising authentic stone crosses that were made of stone mined from the "birth cave of Jesus". Duh? Who would believe something like that let alone buy one? Only 99.99! Buy two, get the third one for free! Call now and we'll send you a documentary film about the making of the movie based on that da Vinci book although it has nothing to do with anything!

It doesn't make much of a difference where Jesus was born or where he was buried. People should concentrate on more essential things, like... what was he like as a historical person or are the things he allegedly said still significant to the modern people.

Either way, I'm strictly agnostic myself and more interested in sunspots than religion. Someone wake me up when they have more info about the gospel of Judas. That was more interesting. :3

Reminds me of when I was watching 'Praise the Lord' one day (I was bored and was being entertained for the first time by evangelical Peter Popoff er whatever his name was..). The host then had a segment in which he promoted his "Salvation Kit". The Salvation Kit includes holy water from some spring in Chernobyl.

And I'm just thing "Greeeeat.. selling people irradiated water in a salvation kit and your name is peter popoff."

Twas amusing.

I give it as much credance (spelt wrong) as I do Tom Cruise.

THIS IS NOT NEWS.

Also, who found the "remains"? Director James Cameron. Most articles tell us that the "startling" claim about Jesus will be examined in-depth in a documentary Cameron produced. Of course, they helpfully remember to remind us what channel it's on and what time to watch.

XeNoX

"I would most likely go as far as saying there was a guy named Jesus around that time in that particular region" - forgot who

E

Epsereth

It would be neat in a novelty sense, but unless there was something about it that provided scholarly / historical evidence of something new or already existing, it doesn't really matter all that much. We already know the guy was real, whether or not the stories about him are true, so if there is a tomb ... then oh well, right?

Personally, I find the discovery of King Arthur's tomb much more interesting, ooooooohh.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
first thing I thought when I heard about this was "joy, Alien Autopsy all over again!". But maybe a more fitting comparison would be the Al Capone's Vault special Geraldo did way back in the 80's.

nobuyuki

the WMD's are hiding in al capone's tomb, geraldo just needs to draw a map to show where they are

Grimfang

Hahaha!

So, wait.. Someone supposedly found King Arthur's tomb? That intrigues me.

And, ya.. this tomb that may have been Jesus' was actually discovered and then sealed up in the 1980s. Within a few days after it was found, they sealed it up, and proceeded to build an apartment building on top of it. Lol.

"Sorry, Jesus... but these people need a place to live and this is just a really great spot for an apartment complex.. you know?"

iller

Christianity and Catholism has always been about 1 thing: Sensational drivel-poop to make money off of philosophy/theology. It's a 2000 year old cash-industry for people who can't sing or dance or draw. Hacks... And so are these Da Vinci Code people who are trying to play "mythbusters" with it's longest held "Magic show". I doubt real Christians care either b/c you either think of this stuff as a good parable to live your life by, or you beat it over someone else's head to give yourself more power. ...when it comes to actual motivation, the minute details aren't a real factor to either group so it's not like disproving the details is going to really "affect the movement".

Coffee

We should totally get those bones out and clone Jesus.

Then give him his own talkshow on FOX.

:D

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
I think if Jesus came back, it would kinda play out like the Boondocks episode where Martin Luther King comes back.

"Fuck y'all, I'm goin' to Canada!"