• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Jitsu Squad - 4 Player Side Scrolling Brawler

pieterator

Logo.png

Hi everyone, I would like to present to you our newly launched game, Jitsu Squad!

Story
Play as one of four warriors, who have been cursed into animal form, in an attempt to seal away their incredible strength.
Set off on a quest to stop the evil sorcerer Origami from obtaining the Kusanagi Stone, an artifact that can grant godly powers.

Transform into your Fury State
Level up your character to unlock their Fury Transformation!
Activate it to transform back into your human state, granting you invincibility as well as a new set of powerful attacks!
It requires a lot of focus to maintain this state, so your transformation time is limited.

Combat
Using combat mechanics similar to Marvel vs Capcom and Guilty Gear, we have created a brawler with a very loose combo system, allowing you to make up combos on the fly.
Mechanics include:
  • Chains that can be delayed into Hyper Chains (Think DMC)​
  • Three unique Weapons for each character, granting them additional moves, as well as enhancing your character.​
  • Parry incoming attacks, to instantly go on the offensive.​
  • Freely cancel into Dash, Jump, Parry, Super and Transformation to keep combat flowing.​
  • Defensive mechanics like Air Recovery and Fury Burst when being comboed.​
  • Tag Mode that allows you to freely tag in and out at any point.​
Hero.png

Baby.png

Jazz.png

Aros.png

We are still actively adding content to the game, which will be available as free DLC in the future.

If you're a fan of brawlers, and would like to see more games like this,
let your voices be heard by leaving a Steam review.
Help us bring back brawlers :D

Judge Spear

Oh shit! Congrats on your launch. I was looking at this when the Berserk Boy dev was raving about your work. I don't do beat em ups like that, but yours looks like a nice refresh for combat.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Play as one of four warriors, who have been cursed into animal form

Activate it to transform back into your human state

Honestly, I was really hyped for this game, but... This concept severely makes it less interesting. Is there any reason they couldn't just be animals? I mean, I know the villains do this too, but why couldn't they simply be animals instead of "cursed" humans? Not everything needs some human attachment to it. Just have the characters be charming animals, and be done with it. There's not many games where the characters can just be non-human on their own, and adding that sense of humanity kinda breaks my immersion. Like, I'm not even playing as some badass Viking Warthog. I'm playing as a generic human who turned into a warthog.

(Also, in the vast majority of these kind of stories, being "cursed" to a non-human anthro form offers no actual disadvantages to being human, and usually grants heightened senses and such, so I kinda find the whole "cursed humans" concept to be stupid in general unless you're ACTUALLY going to hinder them, which in this case, it doesn't really feel like there's a good reason that being an animal "hinders" their abilities. It more or less just comes off as an excuse to shoehorn humans into the story.)

It still looks fun and interesting, but that one thing kinda takes me out of it.
And from what I have seen of the story, nothing would change. The ending doesn't bring it up, they're still animals in the end, and it's not really referenced in the intro or cutscenes, so... why?

Last edited:

pieterator

Oh shit! Congrats on your launch. I was looking at this when the Berserk Boy dev was raving about your work. I don't do beat em ups like that, but yours looks like a nice refresh for combat.
Thanks, I'll check him out :D
We're big fans of Alien vs Predator and Battle Circuit, we wanted to recreate that same accessible feel.

Baalf

Thanks, the combat is where the game really shines.
I wanted to create a system that rewards players for learning it, much like how Fight 'n Rage and Final Fight LNS does it.

...I know it's kind of an odd question, but... you kinda ignored it. You kinda just cherrypicked the "it still looks fun and interesting."

Aside from the whole cursed human question, is there any plans on console ports?

pieterator

damn! this looks really well made, and not even because it's furry centric! keeping the brawler genre alive! <3
Thank you, we are a small team of 6 people. We really wanted to create a fun experience that can be enjoyed together with friends.
I was the lead programmer and combat systems designer. I also created Shattered Realms (though it's only a demo), which you can download for free on itch.io

Baalf

Yes, we will be coming to XBox and Playstation first, and then later to Switch (for which we need to do additional optimization).

...Honestly, I don't appreciate you ignoring my criticisms of the mechanic. Again, it doesn't seem to really serve the story, and it makes the characters less likeable and creative. What you have is a really charming roster of characters. The one thing that makes them less interesting is the fact that they're just cursed humans. Without that one element, the characters would be perfect IMO.

I can sorta forgive it since the villains are under the same curse, it just seems like you're trying to tack on humans to the story.

Last edited:

Rayd

profound asshole
it doesn't seem to really serve the story, and it makes the characters less likeable and creative. What you have is a really charming roster of characters. The one thing that makes them less interesting is the fact that they're just cursed humans. Without that one element, the characters would be perfect IMO.

I can sorta forgive it since the villains are under the same curse, it just seems like you're trying to tack on humans to the story.
this is literally an opinion that you're pushing onto them as if it were fact. that's probably why they're ignoring you. if you ask me, the whole transformation mechanic and narrative actually adds depth onto what already looks to be an enjoyable game.

preferences aren't criticisms man.

Baalf

this is literally an opinion that you're pushing onto them as if it were fact. that's probably why they're ignoring you. if you ask me, the whole transformation mechanic and narrative actually adds depth onto what already looks to be an enjoyable game.

preferences aren't criticisms man.
Because trying to shoehorn the most objectively overused creature into your otherwise interesting characters is "subjectively" uncreative.

Last edited:

Rayd

profound asshole
Because trying to shoehorn the most objectively overused creature to your otherwise interesting characters is "subjectively uncreative."
hey, uhm.. not sure if you know this or not, but the reason there's so many games with humans in them is because... they're made, played and inspired by humans. you can't call the most broad, universally relatable detail ever used in media uncreative just because something you want in a game isn't as represented as you want it to be. so yeah, it is an opinion.

and it's not really fair that you've come to this dude's thread about a project he's obviously worked very hard on just to push your weird obsession about not liking human characters in video games (which you've already tirelessly expressed in other threads), and continue to pester him when he obviously doesn't like it.

Baalf

hey, uhm.. not sure if you know this or not, but the reason there's so many games with humans in them is because... they're made, played and inspired by humans. you can't call the most broad, universally relatable detail ever used in media uncreative just because something you want in a game isn't as represented as you want it to be. so yeah, it is an opinion.

and it's not really fair that you've come to this dude's thread about a project he's obviously worked very hard on just to push your weird obsession about not liking human characters in video games (which you've already tirelessly expressed in other threads), and continue to pester him when he obviously doesn't like it.

When everyone, even furry game devs, feel the need to add these "relatable humans" to their games when it doesn't make sense, it's going to bother me. People keep shoving this idea that "humans are SOOOOO relatable" to the point where devs feel required to make their characters human, even if it makes them less creative. Not to mention, at this point, it honestly feels like humans are obsessed with humanity rather than just relating to it. Back in my day, we didn't need every single character to be human in some way. A character could just be a beast or an anthro, and that was it. It made the characters feel more diverse and that's something that made a lot of games at the time memorable. At this point, "humans make the game" is just an excuse.

I'm sorry. The game still looks fun and I still plan on buying it, but that one thing really takes me out of it.

But you're right, I shouldn't be so pushy about this. And, again, the villains are afflicted with the same curse, so it kinda balances out.

Last edited:

pieterator

but that one thing really takes me out of it
I'm sorry that the story doesn't resonate with you, unfortunately it's not something we can change at this point of development.
The best we can do, is take feedback, and try to make the next game better :)