• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Just got through the day completely vegetarian.

Day Coydog

Cute, Pink Eyesore
Exactly what the title says.
I can already tell that this is going to be hard, I don't exactly control what food is bought in the house and most days at school I will not be able to eat much because there are only like 4 vegetarians (including me).
Does/did anybody else reading this ever struggle with this problem.
What are your views on vegans.
Anything else concerning the subject.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I've went weeks at a time with doing nothing (no eating at all) except drinking water.
And I love the fuck out of meat.

Is going without meat product for a day really that hard for people?

Zenia

I don't care what other people eat, as long as they don't care what I eat and don't push their beliefs on me.
Once, when I was in high school, I learned that the boy I liked was a vegetarian. I tried it... but didn't stick with it. I like meat and my parents wouldn't let me not eat it.

I've went weeks at a time with doing nothing (no eating at all) except drinking water.
Is going without meat product for a day really that hard for people?
I've done that too. And... I guess so? I mean, I only buy meat when I can afford it, but I won't die without it. XD

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Hell yeah! Congrats mang. What's your reasoning for this vegetarian stint?

Are you in high school? If so I can see how that would be hard. I'm a nearly vegan vegetarian but I'm out of college so I buy my own food. I would recommend that you talk with your parents to see if you can get some vegetarian options going. I'd also advise you to do a little research to make sure you are getting all your vitamins and nutrients. Subbing for protein is surprisingly easy. Make friends with nuts, dark greens, whole grains, meat substitutes and tofu.

I'm a vegetarian for a few reasons, but mainly I am disgusted by the meat industry. A few years ago I learned about what the industry is like and couldn't in good conscience keep eating meat. Luckily a friend I'd recently met had been a vegetarian for his whole life and he helped get me started. Having learned more I am slowly working on veganism. Truth is that the laying hens and milk cows aren't very much better off than the meat animals. I know I need to go vegan and by degrees I'm getting there.

I don't want to turn you off with my enthusiasm, but I'm a big proponent of vegetarianism. If you have any questions at all please ask.

A

Ansitru

OP: can't you pack your own lunches for school?
That way, you can assure they're completely vegetarian.

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
ANYWAYS.

OP, make sure you are getting PLENTY of the protein you need- that is a struggle for vegetarians. But I admire that you have made this choice, kudos!

I fucking love meat, wouldn't be able to give it up ;n;

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Hey, I never really had a problem with vegetarianism, though I occasionally eat fish so I suppose that lapses into pescetarianism.

Your school is most likely required to have a vegetarian option, so as long as you're not fussy what it is you'll be able to eat.

Good luck with your vegetarian diet, I applaud you.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
OP, make sure you are getting PLENTY of the protein you need- that is a struggle for vegetarians.
I wouldn't call it a 'struggle' so much as 'something that is easy to do'. Like I said kale, nuts, beans, spinach, quinoa, soy products, meat substitutes. Tonnes of protein to be had.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I've done that too. And... I guess so? I mean, I only buy meat when I can afford it, but I won't die without it. XD
I just don't understand a whole lot of what OP is getting at.
"I WENT ONE WHOLE DAY WITHOUT MEATS, U GAIZ. VEGETARIAN 4 LYFE YO."

But like, I go without meat almost every single day because meat is ridiculously expensive. I wouldn't like to, mind you. I'd love to get my hands on some nice pot roasts and steaks and barbecue ribs that aren't scrap paste garbage. But it's just too hard on my poor weeping wallet.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I just don't understand a whole lot of what OP is getting at.
"I WENT ONE WHOLE DAY WITHOUT MEATS, U GAIZ. VEGETARIAN 4 LYFE YO."
That's why I want to know his reasoning. Has he been thinking about this for a while? Is it a New Years thing? Why did he go vegetarian? The world wants to know :V

I hope it wasn't just for New Years. Probably the least substantial reason to do anything. January 1st: "I'm gonna quit smoking." March 1st: "Mmm fuckit, Marlboro please." There are plenty of reasons to go veg. Just pick one you are passionate about and commit.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I wouldn't call it a 'struggle' so much as 'something that is easy to do'. Like I said kale, nuts, beans, spinach, quinoa, soy products, meat substitutes. Tonnes of protein to be had.

Most people in the west actually consume far too much protein, which is converted and stored as fat in the body.

The modern recommended protein intake is about 10% of your food, I believe, which is consistant with a typical vegan diet.

So contrary to popular belief it's not vegetarians struggling to get protein, it's people with 'regular' diets getting too much, causing inflated amounts of obesity and bowel disease. Too much of almost any nutrient is bad.

DJ-Fragon

Especially almonds. If you're into almonds, there's your source of proteins right there.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't just put that post with my previous comment. Oh well.