• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Just got through the day completely vegetarian.

Kazooie

Crusader for Cute
I don't particularly understand why we aren't all eating nutrient paste by now.

I mean, we have genetically modified bacteria, fuelled only by human waste, capable of stitching together protein strands they make in their own bodies to form textured meat substitutes.

Is nobody else impressed by this.
Well, I mean, most of our crops are fueled, in part, by animal poop.

Also, ahahahahahaha, I didn't even known quorn was A Thing. Try our new multistrain bacteria paste, with 15 different genotypes for a well-balanced, wholesome meal!

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Well, I mean, most of our crops are fueled, in part, by animal poop.

Also, ahahahahahaha, I didn't even known quorn was A Thing. Try our new multistrain bacteria paste, with 15 different genotypes for a well-balanced, wholesome meal!

Now in bacon flavor!

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Because people still enjoy a good ol' fashioned Nerf burger to paste. :V
Hillbilly Joe's tried-n'-tested method of hamburger production - punch a cow into a chain-link fence until it appears on the other side

ED: oh wait you meant paste as in paste not paste as in beat up

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Hillbilly Joe's tried-n'-tested method of hamburger production - punch a cow into a chain-link fence until it appears on the other side

ED: oh wait you meant paste as in paste not paste as in beat up

That shows how little you know of American Hillbilly culture. You take a truck and ram it, dragging its corpse down 30 yards before you have a tasty meal. :V

And Yes I meant paste as in paste!

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Were you making sure you got some Vitamin B12 through supplements or fortified food? Its most common sources are meats and animal products like eggs, milk and cheese.
YEah I would recommend vitamin supplements to any new vegetarian because it helps to ensure the bases are covered.

Is nobody else impressed by this.
Of course. I'm a biology man, I love that shit.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I'd personally prefer sitting down to a good meal than popping vitamin pills.
Obviously, so would I. But not everyone can sit down to a good meal all the time. Especially new vegetarians who are getting the hang of things. Nothing wrong with a daily multivitamin to keep things balanced.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
Obviously, so would I. But not everyone can sit down to a good meal all the time. Especially new vegetarians who are getting the hang of things. Nothing wrong with a daily multivitamin to keep things balanced.

They could if they wanted too. It's their choice. Like it's my choice to eat meat.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Like it's my choice to eat meat.
You've said that like three times. Why so defensive? I never tried to attack your meat eating.

And Fallow's right of course you can't just have vitamin pills for meals that's absurd. I was trying to get at people who are hard up for money or don't cook well. A vitamin pill with meals can help them get by until they gain more cooking skillz.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
You've said that like three times. Why so defensive? I never tried to attack your meat eating.

And Fallow's right of course you can't just have vitamin pills for meals that's absurd. I was trying to get at people who are hard up for money or don't cook well. A vitamin pill with meals can help them get by until they gain more cooking skillz.

I dunno, I seem to have a habit of throwing it out there for some reason. I'll stop now.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers

That's very true, pills can provably help aggregate nutritional intake to a healthy and sustainable level, but really - even this very sentence shows how much of a jarring transition that would be. Food is comforting and the source of much tradition; a tribal spit'n'polish can be a lot more favourable than stark reality.

No matter how artificial food gets, only pills have the unique disadvantage of looking exactly as manufactured as they are. It'd be difficult to sway someone to vegetarianism if this was the only other coice.

RitsukaAo

*side-eyes*
I tried it at one time. With a women's multivitamin and plenty of non-meat proteins stocked in my pantry. It just didn't work for me. It's hard to stop craving something you've had for years though I can typically go days without meat. It's like having withdrawals and it doesn't help when I'm in a house of omnivores that keep asking me to make my "famous" spaghetti (with meat, of course). I got cranky and felt sick a lot. So after about a month, I just gave it up since I wasn't happy with it.

So, kudos to anyone that can do it.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
That's very true, pills can provably help aggregate nutritional intake to a healthy and sustainable level, but really - even this very sentence shows how much of a jarring transition that would be. Food is comforting and the source of much tradition; a tribal spit'n'polish can be a lot more favourable than stark reality.

No matter how artificial food gets, only pills have the unique disadvantage of looking exactly as manufactured as they are. It'd be difficult to sway someone to vegetarianism if this was the only other coice.

You could expect the same discomforts with suddenly changing diet in any direction. For instance if you changed from a tibetan diet to an east chinese diet you would probably feel sick as a parrot due to ~12 extra grams of salt per day and a whole load of odd new compounds your body is not used to digesting.

The solution is to either take suppliments or change your diet gradually so that the ecosystem living inside you has time to adjust.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I tried it at one time. With a women's multivitamin and plenty of non-meat proteins stocked in my pantry. It just didn't work for me. It's hard to stop craving something you've had for years.
That's why one really needs a reason to go veg. Did you go vegetarian for kicks or to lose some weight? If you have a strong enough reason you won't care about giving up meat.

Pills are definitely as manufactured as something can get. But it's not like everyone will need a vitamin. Some people (unlike unemployed me) can afford a lot of varied foods. Also the vitamin is really secondary to my actual meal. Like an after thought: "Oh better take a vitamin with this."
Also, what Fallow said.

Well, I was raised a vegetarian and I have been for my whole life. And going vegan in my opinion is a little bit extreme. Like, dude, if you go vegan you can't have omelettes, or ice cream, cakes..... all the most delicious things in life.

Oh, and OP, if you see it anywhere get some vegetarian bacon. It is delicious.

Day Coydog

Cute, Pink Eyesore
Well, I was raised a vegetarian and I have been for my whole life. And going vegan in my opinion is a little bit extreme. Like, dude, if you go vegan you can't have omelettes, or ice cream, cakes..... all the most delicious things in life.

Oh, and OP, if you see it anywhere get some vegetarian bacon. It is delicious.
I'm not THAT vegan, will still eat cheeses, milk, what ever, still not eggs tho.. but they do make cake batters that do not require eggs.. and I'll live without bacon, lost my appetite for it a while ago after my sis gave me chocolate-covered bacon, it didn't taste good and hurt my stomach.