• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Just impulse-bought a bass.

Tissemand

Random furfag
So, I completely impulse bought this bass & amp (even though I play normal guitar) at a yard sale for $40... pretty good deal, me thinks :3 I just learned Peaches by the Stranglers and Ask by the Smiths, which has been my life long dream to play on bass.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively easy to play?

Last edited:

00vapour

not a nerf herder
Its so much fun, good find. I've played bass for around 6 years now and it's truly a great way to unwind like you would on guitar but with the added benefit of longer slides, meatier tones and a crazy wide range.

Try easing yourself into bass with some of these:

- Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
- Money - Pink Floyd
- Nude -Radiohead
- At the Hundredth Meridian - Tragically Hip
- Message in a Bottle – The Police
- Back In Black – AC/DC
- Little Sister – Queens of the Stone Age
- Lakeside Park - Rush <--- as a bassist you NEED to play rush ;)

I spent some time choosing these for ya, I pulled a couple from the setlists I had :)
Now, you mention that you are also a guitarist, that's fine but please, please do not use the pick to play the bass. The pick makes a certain sound, but you'll find yourself unable to play more complex tunes if you don't learn to finger the bass correctly.

...now go forth and rip some riffs!

Last edited:

Tissemand

Random furfag
Its so much fun, good find. I've played bass for around 6 years now and it's truly a great way to unwind like you would on guitar but with the added benefit of longer slides, meatier tones and a crazy wide range.

Try easing yourself into bass with some of these:

- Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
- Money - Pink Floyd
- Nude -Radiohead
- At the Hundredth Meridian - Tragically Hip
- Message in a Bottle – The Police
- Back I Black – AC/DC
- Little Sister – Queens of the Stone Age
- Lakeside Park - Rush <--- as a bassist you NEED to play rush ;)

I spent some time choosing these for ya, I pulled a couple from the setlists I had :)
Now, you mention that you are also a guitarist, that's fine but please, please do not use the pick to play the bass. The pick makes a certain sound, but you'll find yourself unable to play more complex tunes if you don't learn to finger the bass correctly.

...now go forth and rip some riffs!
Thanks so much!

I haven't put down my bass yet :3 and don't worry, I haven't used a pick [yet]. :p

Vo

If you like the Beatles (or any oldies really) there's plenty of fun but easy basslines to be had.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Now, here's a vital step you need for becoming a true bassist.

Look up Roundabout by Yes.
Listen to bassline.
Cry.

If you want, try learning it slowly, i find it an amazing song and when you get it up to speed after many hours of practice, it's pretty fun.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Oh you lucky bastard, thanks for reminding me to go to more yard sales

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
i dont even have an amp. havent ever had one lol but its enough to play songs...

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
Oh you lucky bastard, thanks for reminding me to go to more yard sales
This is how I got my bass and one of my amps.
Well, it was a rummage sale actually but it comes down to the same thing in the end so.
Woohoo people selling cool stuff at low prices.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
Am I the only one who thought he bought a fresh-water fish on impulse? :3

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively easy to play?

no

start with finger exercises instead of playing other people's shit

Rhodri

Fingerer of Basses.
You can try basically anything by Tool and it's pretty likely you'll come up with an interesting bass line to play.

Plus, if you can play a Tool tune from start to finish, it may be an indication that you are a bit of an alright bassist. Especially most of the tunes off of 10,000 Days.

no

start with finger exercises instead of playing other people's shit

This I could not agree more with. The importance of getting a proper foundation is not to be underestimated.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Rhodri, you're making a habit of becoming the local necromant.

Stop.