• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Just take a deep breath and let it slide.

DO you think people get too worked up and overeact about things too often?

• Yes, and they all need to chill out.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Yes, but sometimes they have a decent reason to be so upset.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • I don't know, I'm oblivious.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • No, though sometimes it does get out of hand.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No, people react in appropriate measure to the situation given.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Magick

Posing school graduate
Wasn't sure if this belonged in the Rant and Rave section, but I just thought I'd make a thread to discuss how people need to calm down and not get so angry over everything. I've been noticing more and more (Have been for a while) that a lot of people get so upset over the silliest things, all it does is cause unnecessary stress and issues that don't even have to affect them.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, even though there are things that can get on your nerves and somewhat frustrating, is it really worth getting all worked up about?

Edit: And sorry about the poll, been a while since I made one like this.

Last edited:

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
There are legitimately hassling things in the world, and times when people should stand up for themselves, but in general I think the world would be better off if people just had a few less fucks to give about personal slights and inconveniences. Same goes for personal beliefs/opinion. I get that they're important and all, but who do you think you're convincing by flipping a shitfit every time you encounter someone who disagrees?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I find this true almost everywhere but its been increasing of late. It's really unhealthy to react in such a manner unless its an absolute necessity.

Life's too short to cry over some spilt milk. If someone disagrees with you or things aren't going one's way, I think the best thing to do is simply figure out what will change the situation and if it can't be resolved by human means just accept it as one of those un-removable rocks in your path and go around.

S

Solaroo

I think most people who get worked up over little things don't have enough big problems in their lives. Sometimes you need to sit back and think "man, this doesn't even matter".

Shoki

Yeah, there's some legitimate stuff to get worked up about but way too many people get their knickers in a twist over things that shouldn't be a big deal.

I worked a customer service phone line for a while, and let me tell you...The sheer number of people that would call in literally screaming over little bullshit things was astronomical.

Magick

Posing school graduate
Do you mean on this site, the fandom, or the world in general, OP? :S
The world in general, it's kind of sad in my opinion when I see people getting so upset over something like they were brought the wrong lotto ticket when it takes 5 seconds to remedy the mistake, when someone flips out and throws a fit when someone else has a different viewpoint on a subject or topic, or even when someone thinks that for some reason he/she is being being persecuted when someone says they can't do one or two things for whatever reason (Wearing a hat to an event, no talking on a cellphone during a movie, being disruptive at a library).

I understand that there are times when people do actually have a legitimate reason to get that upset, but it just seems to get out of hand so often over the littlest things that if you actually think about it aren't that big of a deal. Because come on, is a 5 second wait really worth fighting over? Or is a simple conversation so important you have to take it when other people are trying to watch a movie?

DarkNoctus

100% asbestos free
well by golly is this one of the most uselessly general questions i've ever seen asked or what

Ricky

Each option of the poll would apply to a specific subset of people.

Do you mean *most* people?

I think things are okay; some people get worked up over everything but other people don't give a shit about anything.

Neither of those is good.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I think most people could stand to learn to take a step back, yes, but not because 'other people have bigger problems' or 'it just doesn't matter in the long run' or any of those other tropes. I think it's more because 99% of the time, people flip out about things they just don't fully grasp. And I don't mean this in an intelligence sort of way. I'm talking about basic assumption-making that everyone does all the time. A guy cuts you off in traffic, you assume he was being malicious or inattentive and you get pissed at him. A package arrives late, you assume the company or the person delivering it is incompetent and that pisses you off. You order something at a restaurant and it takes 45 minutes to arrive, you assume the cooks and waiters and everybody are just jerking off in the back, and you take it as a personal slight.
Then when it turns out the guy who cut you off actually had the right of way, that the delivery guy had to take a detour home because his kid broke his nose falling off the swings at school, or that the main gas line feeding the stoves at the restaurant started leaking and had to be fixed, you end up feeling like an insensitive, impatient jagoff. I used to do this sort of thing all the fucking time, and I've since realized that you should only get pissed once all the facts are in and it turns out someone was really out to fuck you over. And when you pay attention and get the whole story as often as you can, you start to realize just how infrequently people actually are out to fuck you over. And maybe this comes as a shock to you; after all, what it means is that most people on the planet could give two shits about your life because they're too busy dealing with theirs. So why not just cut other folks a bit of slack and get down off your pedestal, because you fuck up and inconvenience people just as frequently as they do it to you.

Magick

Posing school graduate
Some people genuinely can't help it.
True, and I know it can be even more frustrating for them because they don't get the option of staying somewhat calm or just letting it go. I actually know someone like this (Skull fused too early during infancy/childhood so part of the brain couldn't develop properly) When something goes wrong she flips out for a bit, but once she calms down she tries to apologize and make up for it most of the time.

@M. LeRenard: That's another one the main things I'm talking about, that some people just go off on someone else when there was a legitimate (And sometimes more serious) reason as to why things happened the way they did.

I think most people who get worked up over little things don't have enough big problems in their lives.
I can confirm this. I get upset over the stupidest shit. I've never really had much conflict in my life. This is also why incredibly minuscule things make be happy. I try not to think about it much because it's pretty pathetic.

Sometimes you need to sit back and think "man, this doesn't even matter".

Believe me, it is not that easy.

Traven V

Luna-tic.
I think getting over worked over small things is the in thing. I try not to, there are somethings you just can't change plus stress has so many negative effects on the body and mind. Some people just like drama too, I used to a little myself not much anymore it just isn't worth it really.

I only really feel like this in the context of avoidable things and jokes. Sometimes there are reasons outside of this, but some people are just oversensitive to comedy even when it's appropriate. Then some people like to fabricate ulterior motives behind certain harmless little things...like that Derpy Hooves character. All the other problems in their lives and people got asshurt over a fucking crosseyed horse. >.>

Then the Chic Fil'a (if I spelled that wrong, kill me) incident. Don't like their opinion? Understandable? Don't wanna eat there and support it involuntarily? Understandable. Picketing and trying to keep me from their food with cheap guilt trips? Get a life.

Reactions are fine, but there should be an alarm on your clock for "fuck this shit o'clock". Certain things just aren't worth the energy.