• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

JW

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Just a chance for me to push myself to draw more often. I got some junk that I drew today to start it off, and *hopefully* I will post at least every other day.

If you see something that needs to be considered or worked on, feel free to share. I will not be revising these sketches but will write it down and apply it to the next drawings.

Without further ado, here they are:
Jun 8th
Sketch for character sheet*
*NOTE: the legs of the center picture have been lengthened at the thighs to fix the proportion issue there. Middle face only sketch deleted, others edited. Eye blowup removed.
Jun 9th
Skeleton study-- torso, profile to right
Jun 13th
Self Portrait and Sketch-- possible NSFW for rear nudity
Foot Study
Hand Study

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Re: Sketchbook: JW

Just wanted to note if you start a new topic and want to have that "Sketchbook" it's the Thread Prefix in title.

Default there is "no prefix" since the prefix is not required.

I also debated having NSFW tags too, but not sure since sometimes the NSFW is after the OP post.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED

Just wanted to note if you start a new topic and want to have that "Sketchbook" it's the Thread Prefix in title.

Default there is "no prefix" since the prefix is not required.

If you know how to change that, please do. I'm sorry- I just thought this was how it's done.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Already done, don't worry about it

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
Your weakpoint at the moment appears to be heads, faces and expressions. The self-portrait ones are fairly well done, but fall apart with the faces. Same with the reference sheet one. As soon as it gets to the stuff you can't really reference, it gets a bit bad. Definitely work on expressions and facial features.

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
I second the comment about the faces and expressions, it does seem to be the weak point here. Also, on that ref sheet, the arm that is on the farther left (viewers left) seems to have two elbows or something. Maybe it's just me but something is wonky about that arm.
And the middle face of the three faces on the ref sheet needs some work. The mouth is pretty cartooney. The other two faces show where the lip pulls up a bit in the middle like a =3 face. But the center face doesn't have that and it leaves the face seeming flat.

One more thing, in the 3/4 view of your character, his left ear flops to the front and leftish. In the headshot that are in 3/4 view, his left ear flops to the back and rightish. It throws me off a little.

If anything I said doesn't make sense I can try to reword it because it's even confusing me a little. Too many lefts and centers and..... @_@;;

Xenke

*notices you drew an eye on the first thing*

I recommend a study on eyes. All sorts. Happy eyes, sad eyes, angry eyes, emotion neutral eyes, etc.

Even animal eyes, if you are so inclined.

Other than that, I can't really add more than the other foo's here.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
@Smelge, Spliff--Noted on the expressions. Thanks for the input; I will resume my expression studies tomorrow. I could blame partial error in my scanner, but I definitely could use the practice regardless of excuses.

@Spliff-- Elbow I assure you looks different with the adequate shading-- it's almost a dimple in reality (it's a photo of my own arm) and looks unnatural here without shading to explain it.
I will pay attention to the ear issue as well. Generally I cop out and just bend it, but I will define it better in the future.

@Xenke-- I will incorporate the eye studies into my expression studies. Thanks for the advice

Thanks to all that gave input; I really appreciate giving me some direction in my study.

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
You're welcome. >w<
Also, what species is that guy? Some kind of roo or marsupial?
Regardless of what it is, I like the character design. It's very distinctive without being overly obscure or sparkledogish.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
You're welcome. >w<
Also, what species is that guy? Some kind of roo or marsupial?
Regardless of what it is, I like the character design. It's very distinctive without being overly obscure or sparkledogish.

it's just a collection of traits that I lumped together and got. He looked a bit like an otter and a bit like a kangaroo.
Otter+roo= Otteroo.
Name stuck.

NOTE: I am getting that the arm looks wrong in both rear-view drawings from multiple other people, so it's more than a matter of viewpoint. I rendered it incorrectly and it needs revision. I will correct this in future studies.

Self portriat was also noted to have an angular lower body. This was due to reference photo splicing and I will seek to refine this skill later. For now, expression studies.

Last edited:

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Sorry for the delay. I had some private drawings to make of friends, and thereby not kind to share without their permission.

Anyway, I have 2 WIP studies at the moment. Bot have obvious flaws and issues in them, and I am fully aware of that myself. These are to fulfill my commitment of posting something, at minimum, every other day. I will be continuing these tonight and will post the final drawings sometime fairly soon, within the next 2 days.

Barbarian Warrior Sketch
*Note-- stock Courtesy of mjranum_stock on dA. Picture is incomplete and need to have forearm refined as well as shading to be developed. Will attempt a halftone sketch after loading image with graphite and lifting highlights with white charcoal.

Female Face Study
*Note-- stock courtesy of Sarah Simblet
Simblet, Sarah. (2001) Anatomy for the Artist. (1st Ed, pp 46) New York, NY: DK Publishing

Subject's eyes are asymmetrical; this "flaw" is more pronounced without eyelashes and onse-sided shading on her left lower eyelid. The asymmetry was intriguing since this woman was still displayed beauty, which made me curious and wanting to draw her in detail. Will continue defining facial features through shading via graphite. Asymmetry will appear les defined once the forms are established better.

Still on the list for studies:
*emotion studies
*concentration on extended-arm elbows
*eye study incorporated into expression study and above portrait.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Jun 16
Portriat-- continued

I'm fighting with my scanner right now-- it wants to make the contrast terribly high no matter the setting.

Anyway, I'll work on adding in the blacks on the face and cleaning up a bit more. Also I need to reinforce the side plane on her left. Figured I would give an update...

Not like anyone's looking at this anyway; hell I'm just going for it.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
Jun 16
Portriat-- continued

I'm fighting with my scanner right now-- it wants to make the contrast terribly high no matter the setting.

Anyway, I'll work on adding in the blacks on the face and cleaning up a bit more. Also I need to reinforce the side plane on her left. Figured I would give an update...

Not like anyone's looking at this anyway; hell I'm just going for it.

make sure you fix the spacing of the mouth - it's not quite lined up with her nose correctly. also watch the connection at her neck.

Glad to see you updating!

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
make sure you fix the spacing of the mouth - it's not quite lined up with her nose correctly. also watch the connection at her neck.

Glad to see you updating!

Ah, okay. I see the mouth problem now-- I've been staring at it blankly and worked on some other stuff so it got less familiar.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp70/jwmcd2/06_18_0.jpg

Moving onto expression studies now. I'm sick of that portrait.

Last edited:

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I had replied earlier, but my reply got eaten by the maintenance.

As far as the otter goes, you need to watch the foreshortening on his arm. I'm referring to the one carrying the gun.

The African female one is lovely, it would be nice if you posted the ref link so people who don't have the book can have a look. The thing is that you do need to watch your lines. Even as artists when we try to copy things we see, we also have to understand. The hip lines show sharp edges as well as part of the shoulders/arms destroying some of her feminine form. The values on this piece look pretty good.

Keep going.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Alright, thank you Arshes. I can see that now, so I'll touch up the lines later and smooth them out. I neglected to do that from the most recent fix I had to make on the right buttock. Needs more intermediaries on the shoulders especially, but I got carried away with the false edges.

And yes, I knew that otter arm was mangled. I'm working on finding some references I can use for that odd wrist posture.

Thank you again! Going to draw more back studies tonight, right now.

Last edited:
That Simblet book is amazing, and I like seeing that other people are using it. The one thing I notice about the nude is that the angles are very harsh, especially in her hips. Something about her shoulders, particularly the right, seem vaguely disconnected as well. I think it comes down to the same harsh angles as in the hips, though. Generally, unless they're Benedict Cumberbatch people tend to be slightly more round and less jagged.

I find interesting the stark contrast between your more realistic stuff and your furries. I'm not quite sure what happens, but I think something in your process gets lost or overlooked, because there does seem to be a bit of a difference in quality -- almost as though the furs are rushed, I think.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Noted on the angularity. Got a Bridgeman book and it's made some of my things angular recently, but it's refining my plane control a bit. Next post will be smoother.

I find interesting the stark contrast between your more realistic stuff and your furries. I'm not quite sure what happens, but I think something in your process gets lost or overlooked, because there does seem to be a bit of a difference in quality -- almost as though the furs are rushed, I think.

Because, honestly, there are not any real life references and I honestly don't care about them as much. They're more of a drawing to unwind or warm up for my actual drawings, as terrible as that sounds. I also use them to work in more flexibility, and I rarely bother to polish them up as well as I do my other drawings. That female drawing took roughly 3-4 hours, and most of my "furry artwork" (sketches) takes maybe 30 minutes to an hour. To be completely honest, it's a fun side track but not really as important as my studies to improve my general art.

I could work on that, but honestly if I'm building a portfolio like I am right now, I would only really need maybe one cartoony/stylized "furry" piece just to prove I can slide into others as needed and make my portfolio look appealing to a future gallery owner I will speak with.

This being said, I've been slacking off due to some visitors, but will be working some more soon.

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Uh, drawing from reference vs drawing from memory.

1. Reference is right out in front of you so observational drawing will look more refined than a memory drawing - especially no reference.

On the other hand, I honestly don't see the "AMAZING" in Simblet's book. The one thing it really has going for it were the overlay sheets. Honestly though, and don't think I am dismissing the importance of understanding skeletons - it's almost unnecessary but cool in a "I got a nice coffee table book that shows I'm studying anatomy to my friends" kind of way.

Most of the materials covering the masters I read in other books with greater detail. Hale gave some great examples in his Drawing from the Masters books. I also have the Classic Drawing Atelier

The photography is beautiful, no doubt, but there really are so many better books out there that cover the content so much better.

http://amzn.com/0195030958 The Atlas of Anatomy by Stephen Rogers Peck covers material you don't get to see in many books anymore. I mean Simblet's all gorgeous beautiful models, how about walks of thin/fat/kids and everyday life?

http://amzn.com/0823024156 - This book is like...well a fucking encyclopedia. It's that thick too. It's actually one of my favorites to date when understanding anatomy when you work with books that help you work from imagination like Hampton's book or working to fill in the blanks with Bridgman.