• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Kingdom Hearts Series Discussion, News, Etc

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
With Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix out in Japan and Kingdom III on the way, I think its high time to talk Kingdom Hearts.

First off, now that 2.5 is out in Japan the soundtrack is being put on Youtube now, so now people can hear II's tracks done by a wonderful orchestra, and some of it is pretty amazing.
[video=youtube;g29X3YcZquo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29X3YcZquo[/video]

Besides that, its been announced that the soundtracks for 1.5 and 2.5 are finally getting a release.
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Kingdom-Hearts-1-5-2-5-Soundtrack-Website-4342

Kingdom Hearts III has also been announced to now be on Unreal Engine 4. Not sure what to make of that.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/10/06/kingdom-hearts-3-now-being-developed-in-unreal-engine-4/109964/

Besides that, Nomura has expressed interest in making an HD Remake of Dream Drop Distance.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/24/kingdom-hearts-3d-hd-remaster-coming-up-next/

Anyways, are you guys hyped for Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and/or III? How are you liking the soundtrack to 2.5? Any hopes you have for III, or perhaps some opinions on all this news?

EDIT: And apparently Nomura's birthday is tomorrow.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Kingdom Hearts has always had a nice soundtrack... but trying to make sense of its storyline gives me a headache.
Oh the series has definitely gotten a weird and convoluted plot as time passed. The side games only made it worse. If they just stuck with 1, RE: Chain of Memories, and 2 it wouldn't have been SO bad...
I heard Dream Drop Distance added time travel to the mix. No telling how confusing that'll make the story.

I'm excited 2.5 is coming out in 2 months here in the States. Never played Birth By Sleep. Seems important.

Croconaw

#1 Most Requested Croconaw
Kingdom hearts has been shit since 2. I was pretty disappointed with the 1.5 "HD" remake. I can foresee the same bullshit with this new one.

Beautiful music. Interesting concepts. HORRIBLE STORY (seriously, they must've gotten the hacks that made the storyline for FF7 for this).

Iba gives it a 9/10.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I tried with Kingdom Hearts. I honestly gave it my all.

I still think the first is one of the best games ever and it's tied for my all time favorite with Spyro. But man, that story kept getting shittier and shittier to where it almost became a parody of anime tropes and sappy final fantasy logic. Every game after Chain of Memories (the handheld) was utter shit. Even BBS which had one of the funnest gameplay systems.

Coded was a drunk idea...LITERALLY. There is simply no love left in Kingdom Hearts. It's all dried up and has been for a while.

It's like watching a guy masturbate for 10 years with no lube. He's bleeding and you're screaming for him to stop...but he just won't. And look how shitty his dick is now.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I-I thought 2 was the best...
Kingdom hearts has been shit since 2. I was pretty disappointed with the 1.5 "HD" remake. I can foresee the same bullshit with this new one.

Beautiful music. Interesting concepts. HORRIBLE STORY (seriously, they must've gotten the hacks that made the storyline for FF7 for this).

Iba gives it a 9/10.
"Disappointed with 1.5"
How? It was 1 and RE: Chain of Memories with orchestral music, improved visuals, and slightly more content.
And everything since 2 has been a side game. Its not fair.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
They've milked the financial teet of the fans for too long. Excitement for the series has just....dried up.

RedLeFrench

Writer extraordinaire
Oddly enough, I find KH's plot quite simple and fascinating, because I can clearly see what went in Nomura and the writers' heads. They have this awesome story (for them) and they want everybody to fully understand what it's about, so they don't hesitate to elaborate via other side-stories. Granted, it is stupid, but some authors do the same with their books, so...

Croconaw

improved visuals

MATE, NOW YOU HAVE FUCKED UP

And bullshit. 2's story was convoluted and stupid. And who cares if they're side games? They're part of the franchise regardless to "better explain" the story, which is pretty ironic given that it made the story even more convoluted and scattered.

BUT WHO CARES THIS IS JUST IBAPINION. (That's Iba for "Iba's opinion"). Carry on with your video jam discussion.

Oddly enough, I find KH's plot quite simple and fascinating, because I can clearly see what went in Nomura and the writers' heads. They have this awesome story (for them) and they want everybody to fully understand what it's about, so they don't hesitate to elaborate via other side-stories. Granted, it is stupid, but some authors do the same with their books, so...

I would LOVE to see you squirm in your attempts to give Iba an actual break down of the story. It would make my day.

If you ask me, Nomura is on drugs. But who can blame them when tunes from the jamin' Bob Marley and Pink Floyd exist?

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I shall respond to criticism towards the Kingdom Hearts series tomorrow. I must be going, but for now, I leave you all with this glorious piece of genius.
[video=youtube;o77MpMyqWiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77MpMyqWiM[/video]

Twylyght

[video=youtube;IGo0OTpQbJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGo0OTpQbJ0[/video]

I'd love to get this once mainly because I didn't have a psp and couldn't play Birth By Sleep. I did like 2 but recoded was kinda boring. I played that for the ds and I don't think I'd play it again.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Who wants to see some of the characters from Kingdom Hearts in a Smash Bros game? I know it would be so unlikely but it would be cool.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Who wants to see some of the characters from Kingdom Hearts in a Smash Bros game? I know it would be so unlikely but it would be cool.

I'd only want Donald or Goofy in it. Keep the preteen animu characters out. There's already enough of that in the smash games as it is. ;þ

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
i don't know why everyone keeps complaining about the side games, no matter what franchise. The side games are always shit. Why don't you at least wait until KH3 comes out, then you can judge.

Croconaw

No.

i don't know why everyone keeps complaining about the side games, no matter what franchise. The side games are always shit. Why don't you at least wait until KH3 comes out, then you can judge.

This is the worst defense argument for KH to date. If you believe this, then there's truly no reason for you to buy this "HD" remix. (And what's worse is that KH 3D was a considerably much better game than KH 2, minus the god awful story)

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned

Kingdom Hearts is the "Matrix" of video games- a very good original game whose reputation was ruined by bad sequels. The story of the first game was straightforward and a breath of fresh air when it first came out, but now the plot is so convoluted it no longer makes sense. Releasing parts of the franchise on various systems might have seemed like a good idea until you realize that Sora, Riku, and Kairi, and their dark twins, and the projections of themselves made of false memories and dreams are essentially running in place, accomplishing nothing to advance the meta-plot spanning through these games. To me, the ending of the first game where Sora and the Disney characters defeat the villains and their conspiracy, he meets up with his childhood friends, and all is right made a very good denouement. I know the game was good enough that fans wanted a sequel but when you tie together all the loose ends so efficiently, it's stupid to say "Well, that was only a dream/ false memory and we need to see what these men in black hoodies trying to regain their souls are doing."

That said, I like the battle system because it is one of the few RPGs in which level-grinidng is exciting. The idea of becoming a part of beloved Disney movies is great and some might actually like a plot that requires flowcharts to keep track of, but KH lost its hold on me a long time ago.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
well, tbh i don't give a fuck about the story, i just wanna enjoy the gameplay.

Twylyght

[video=youtube;xm-NoyqzGkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-NoyqzGkY[/video]

Well, if anyone is having a hard time following the story, take a look at this. They try to explain things about games as best they can.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Personally i find there is no way to combine FF and Disney without clashing horribly, and the game made horrible aesthetic choices and bastardized many characters. Not a fan.

Esper Husky

I'm hoping ("assuming"?) that Final Fantasy Tactics is not included in this statement. 'cause if so... #sadface -- (though I 98.6% agree)

I'm 'excited' for Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX, 'cause it'll just be nice to go through the game again, and actually finally play Birth By Sleep.

I didn't like Chain of Memories too much, and the HD console version was an even worse impression; whereas it felt better back on the GameBoy Advance, IMO.

I also really enjoy most of the music, and most of the gameplay, but... not perfect... I think I liked 2 more than 1, but at the same time, I beat 1 several times as a teen, so, well...

Otherwise, I didn't play any of the side games besides Chain of Memories, anyway. Separately, I love TV Tropes.

chesse20

I hope you get to play high school musical in the new kingdom hearts and there's a DDR mini game where you have to dance with the black guy from that show on discover kids where a plane crashed on a island and a bunch of high schoolers had to survive on a island. Also you get to play as cars and sora turns into the car from Initial D and he has to race a bunch of heartless cars and and then the song "running in the nineties" plays and it's remixed by triple-Q with one of the songs from the ost.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I hope you get to play high school musical in the new kingdom hearts and there's a DDR mini game where you have to dance with the black guy from that show on discover kids where a plane crashed on a island and a bunch of high schoolers had to survive on a island. Also you get to play as cars and sora turns into the car from Initial D and he has to race a bunch of heartless cars and and then the song "running in the nineties" plays and it's remixed by triple-Q with one of the songs from the ost.

In other word something like this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsUIxCj5Zk

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I always thought mixing Final Fantasy with Disney is a stupid concept.
In my opinion this is one of the most overhyped franchises ever.