• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Lacking uniqueness :/

Gazmiller

Neko trainer
I love to draw all species and genders of furries. But I lack a crucial component; uniqueness! Obviously starting out I copied artists I lookied up to and gradually addopted their styles. But now I want to branch out and start making my own real stuff. My characters tahta re relatable and, well, unique! Jay Naylor for example creates amazing characters, eveyr one different and his style is instantly identifiable.

What I ask of you brthers and sisters is how do I do this? How do I break the shackles of 'preffered' methods and make my characters my own? :(

Fay V

Lost to this world
broken record time :D
Draw realistic is the best advice. You'll learn what things actually look like, when you simplify what you want to make your own style. When you copy other styles you're learning how they stylize, but can't do that yourself because you don't really understand what you're trying to represent.

I also suggest making a project for yourself. try to sketch something you don't draw often daily. mix it up now and again and try to do an original picture in a certain style like tex avery, anime, tribal.
Pick a theme for a character and sketch on. something like "this character is based on a five of diamonds playing card"
The more you do, the better it will get.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
While FayV's advice is sounds (and that you SHOULD experiment with different styles), I will add that a lot of your own personal twists will arise when you really push yourself and learn a lot. Sometimes forcing a style can be frustrating and nonproductive.

The cold truth is this: how you see the world is unique. Your perceptions are unique and at least slightly different from everyone else in the world. You have different backgrounds, approaches and viewpoints along with different skill sets and abilities. For example, if you ask 2 people what the precise color name is for particular object, you're bound to get differing answers. Ask a group, and there might even be arguments. In that sense, you may illustrate the world in a differnt fashion or "style" than someone else, and that way is unavoidable. Doing so is like trying to speak without sounding like yourself or walk in a different stride frmo usual.

The only sure-fire way to show off your uniqueness is to remove the barriers. It does not matter how you see something if you cannot share it with other people. not having a grasp on shading , colors or other aspects of art will eventually leave you frustrated with a supposed "lack of style".

This being said, it's important to focus on foundations. frankly I have been for the past several years and honestly do not see that I have a distinct style. But that is not the point at this time, it's about effectively portraying what you feel. Style is something that flows from talent anyway. One of my favorite artists Claude Monet did not really have an extremely distinct style until her was moving into his series paintings of the Roun Cathedral, Haystacks and Lillies very late in his life. Still, his identity presented itself in his earlier works. So it's not necessary you recognize style r even strive for it as your #1 goal. It comes naturally and without effort.

What you SHOULD expend effort on is improving your practical skills. If you would like some pointers on 1~2 of your favorite peices, jsut drop us some links and we will be happy to help you out.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Mimicing styles can be a fun break. I agree with JW, focus on fundamentals and realism, style will come later

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
It's good to want to be unique, but settle on just being genuine. The way you'll have it be your own, recognizable work is if the audience can feel that it's genuinely yours. Like it's been said, focus on the journey, not the destination, and you'll eventually find your voice on your own.

Last edited:
Z

Zoetrope

Hahaa. I find this kind of funny, my style just came to me as time went on, but I'm not all that fond of it. I want to change it but that is very difficult. I think also my problem is I don't know what I really want my work to look like.

I really can't offer much advice though, good advice has already been given and I can't really top that. Understanding form and anatomy is an excellent start (as mentioned by others), when you look at a nose(or a hand, or an eye, whatever) in photograph try to see the parts, lines, contours of it that you identify with most. How you perceive the form is where your style will come from.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
All good advice ^^^^

Try and pin down the aspects of what you like about other people's work that draws you to it. Is it realism? Cartoony? Does it have good flow, is it artistically pleasing to the eye or is it jagged and edgy? Pin down vague things you like and try to steer that way. For example, I really like flowly stuff but the way I render things now can leave them stiff and lacking movement. So i've been doing flowly, gestural stuff to help loosen up that feeling. In that way it becomes a little more my own style.

Style comes about from what you know, what you don't know, and your own interpretation. I find copying styles to be the most pain-in-the-arse thing on the planet, and can't stand when I get a commission that's asking me to do Disney style or whatever. I don't see the world the way Disney does, and forcing myself to so only results in something that's quite ugly.

I find that as I get more acquainted with the basics, my style tends to change slightly. A few years ago, I drew all of my characters with square eyes. And then they became more triangular. Now they're slightly less so, but still a bit cartoony. And I'm fine with that. I developed a bit of a hand kink, and found that the way I drew hands changed almost overnight, and in the direction of a vast improvement. Just because I started paying more attention to what peoples' hands look like.

Forcing a style or copying that of others will only stall your progress. You're going about it the wrong way. Focus on the skill, and the style will follow.