• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Language furs

Yastreb

I couldn't find any general language threads except really old ones so here's a new one. I can't be the only language fan here. Do you like learning languages? Are you into constructed languages, maybe even making them yourself? Let's talk about anything language-related in this thread! :)

I love languages and linguistics. I can speak Finnish, English and some Esperanto plus a little bit of Russian and Swedish, but if I had all the time in the world I would like to learn so many. Every language I read about seems to have some really cool features. Like the consonant roots in Arabic. If it was a constructed language I would call that complitely unrealistic!

miss_samychan

Born To Be A Hero
I love learning languages! Apart from my native one(Bulgarian), I am fluent in English and I have basic understanding of German. I want to become fluent at it too, as well as in French.

Unfortunately there's been a setback and I can't continue studying German by taking language classes but I practice some 30-45 minutes every day.
Since I'm a native speaker in German, you can ask me, if you have any questions!

O

O.D.D.

Used to be fluent in German, passable in Spanish

Didn't have much of a way to keep practicing German after a certain point, and just got rusty with Spanish

Aside from that, there's like a handful of phrases or words in other tongues I know (mostly swears)

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Leider ist mein Deutsch nicht besonders gut. Ab und zu, kann ich ein oder zwei Woerter verstehen.
In der Zukunft, wuerde ich lieber in Deutschland wohnen. Die Visabestimmungen fuer Britische Leute sind ganz Komplex. :\

O

O.D.D.

Just an aside - if you want to pick up new languages, do it early because once your neuroplasticity starts disappearing it just gets harder and harder.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Just an aside - if you want to pick up new languages, do it early because once your neuroplasticity starts disappearing it just gets harder and harder.
Such theories always vex me greatly. People get to think their brain starts degenerating at 25 or whatever - and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy; when they experience any learning difficulties they're gonna quit, because it's surely a sign of ageing, what can one do against that!... While my claim is that some learning difficulties arise always, in different forms. Only that they're not used as such an excuse by younger persons. Additionally, acquiring efficient learning skills/techniques should more than offset any actually existing decline, until genuinely advanced age.

Or maybe I'm just some kind of mutant which finds it easier to learn things at near-40 than at 20. Well, who knows, Chernobyl isn't that far away from here...

Anyway, the languages, let's see... Polish: native. English: near-native level. Swedish: conversational, with some stumbling. German: bits and pieces remembered from school, plus practical experience sufficient to communicate at work, without butchering the grammar. I had a course in Latin (sic!) but it was basic and I don't remember all that much. Also random bits and pieces from other languages, for example I know the Cyrillic alphabet without actually knowing much of Russian.

I'm not much into constructed languages. At one point I was musing about learning some Klingon, for its "badass factor". But then, my wife pointed out that if I want to learn a "barbaric-sounding" language, then Turkish could be a good real-life example. Haven't done anything about it in practice though.

O

O.D.D.

Such theories always vex me greatly. People get to think their brain starts degenerating at 25 or whatever - and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy; when they experience any learning difficulties they're gonna quit, because it's surely a sign of ageing, what can one do against that!... While my claim is that some learning difficulties arise always, in different forms. Only that they're not used as such an excuse by younger persons. Additionally, acquiring efficient learning skills/techniques should more than offset any actually existing decline, until genuinely advanced age.

Or maybe I'm just some kind of mutant which finds it easier to learn things at near-40 than at 20. Well, who knows, Chernobyl isn't that far away from here...

Anyway, the languages, let's see... Polish: native. English: near-native level. Swedish: conversational, with some stumbling. German: bits and pieces remembered from school, plus practical experience sufficient to communicate at work, without butchering the grammar. I had a course in Latin (sic!) but it was basic and I don't remember all that much. Also random bits and pieces from other languages, for example I know the Cyrillic alphabet without actually knowing much of Russian.

I'm not much into constructed languages. At one point I was musing about learning some Klingon, for its "badass factor". But then, my wife pointed out that if I want to learn a "barbaric-sounding" language, then Turkish could be a good real-life example. Haven't done anything about it in practice though.
It isn't degenerative, it's simply a shift in brain structure that makes it progressively more difficult to form new neural pathways unless you are doing it constantly. It's still possible to keep learning new languages, but typically the parts of our brain that handle that are very "solidified" by middle adulthood. If you've been CONSTANTLY learning new languages, however, it's much easier to keep that going even into old age, and it can help stave off things like dementia later.

Guifrog

Blue Frog | Avatar by Lenago
My father is 66 of age. What I recall learning in 8 years of English from my childhood, he was able to learn in 2 years now. It may also help that he's so incredibly dedicated to it, studying every day - literally. And it's the only language he's ever studied apart from our native one. Regardless, I think any time is good to start learning

My mother tongue is Portuguese. I'm fluent in English, able to read Spanish newspapers, N4 in Japanese (aiming towards N3 now, final goal being N1)

@Fcomega121 this thread sounds like your cup of tea, particularly when it comes to conlangs owo

Christine Vulpes

SnowFox or NoFox
I tried dutch and everything came out wrong and apparently overtly sexual. Much to the giggling of the people I was trying to speak with. Because the language has so many tenses, conjugates, and so on I cant really even grasp some of the rules, which means I would just string together all sorts of versions of words that did not actually go together.

I tried to learn Swedish, mostly because it looks like a pretty place, housing is relatively cheap, And my linkedin accounts have been suggesting working for saab for nearly 5 years but it needs you to relocate.

And as a native english speaker, I am not good at it either. Languages are hard.

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned Wolf + Phoenix
OMG!! Yes! I love Conlangs a lot!!

I have been trying to make my own laguages since long but I always get stuck xD

Conlangs are hard! XD
Making custom writing systems is easier for me :3

And yeah! I love to learn languages too! (But I need consistency on minutes a day ;w; )

I speak native spanish, and fluent english (some even thought I was native btw), I am studying portuguese and I'm good yet noob into it, I understand also a bit of german, italian, japanese and na'vi too but just a bit ranging from most to less

And not language but as I said writting is easy for me:
I can read Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Hiragana, Katakana, some kanji/hanzis, and some fictional ones from reddit like that one I made lion king character names transliterated into :3

I love to see more language fans around! UwU

O

O.D.D.

I tried dutch and everything came out wrong and apparently overtly sexual. Much to the giggling of the people I was trying to speak with. Because the language has so many tenses, conjugates, and so on I cant really even grasp some of the rules, which means I would just string together all sorts of versions of words that did not actually go together.

I tried to learn Swedish, mostly because it looks like a pretty place, housing is relatively cheap, And my linkedin accounts have been suggesting working for saab for nearly 5 years but it needs you to relocate.

And as a native english speaker, I am not good at it either. Languages are hard.
You can supposedly get by pretty well in Scandinavia with English. Well enough to live/work there... I dunno.

Some people say that English is harder to pick up as a non-Anglophone than vice versa, but honestly I'm inclined to think it's more down to an individual than anything. Things like idioms are always going to be a pain, hell there are some idioms from other states in the Union that make little sense to me.

Christine Vulpes

SnowFox or NoFox
You can supposedly get by pretty well in Scandinavia with English. Well enough to live/work there... I dunno.

Some people say that English is harder to pick up as a non-Anglophone than vice versa, but honestly I'm inclined to think it's more down to an individual than anything. Things like idioms are always going to be a pain, hell there are some idioms from other states in the Union that make little sense to me.
I'm just a very slow learner, and language has always been hard. Barely made it through English classes in school. Barely passed Latin. Failed Spanish 1 and 2.

Even with people helping me on Skype it was just bad. People wanted to practice English with me to which I'd respond ”why? Your english is better...teach me English too"

Yastreb

OMG!! Yes! I love Conlangs a lot!!

I have been trying to make my own laguages since long but I always get stuck xD

Conlangs are hard! XD
Making custom writing systems is easier for me :3

And yeah! I love to learn languages too! (But I need consistency on minutes a day ;w; )

I speak native spanish, and fluent english (some even thought I was native btw), I am studying portuguese and I'm good yet noob into it, I understand also a bit of german, italian, japanese and na'vi too but just a bit ranging from most to less

And not language but as I said writting is easy for me:
I can read Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Hiragana, Katakana, some kanji/hanzis, and some fictional ones from reddit like that one I made lion king character names transliterated into :3

I love to see more language fans around! UwU
I like conlangs too! Sometimes I want to try making my own but I know I would never finish it so I'm trying to fight the temptation. :) Writing systems are cool too. I know the Latin, Cyrillic and the international fingerspelling alphabet.

I started learning Esperanto because I wanted to try a conlang but I stuck to it because I liked how easy and fast to learn it is. I have learned it for less than six months and I'm probably between A2 and B1 already. Also because most of the vocabulary is taken from Romance languages I have noticed I can often get the gist of written French or Italian because I recongnize so many words from Esperanto (and some from English).

At one point I dabbled a bit in Toki Pona which is supposed to be even easier with just 120-130 words. lt is still one of the languages I hope to learn some day, along with Mandarin, Finnish Sign Languge, and getting fluent in Russian.

На экзамене я выбрал Английский язык и получил хорошую оценку. Но я не планировал дальше изучать Английский язык.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Do you like learning languages? Are you into constructed languages, maybe even making them yourself? Let's talk about anything language-related in this thread!
Eh.... I dabbled in French and Italian in college, back in the day...... TBH - it was *rough* trying to learn a new language, and - about half-way through the semester I just wanted to be done with it..... but, these classes were something to do on a Thursday night.... (when all my other classes were done)... and, were quite an eye-opener, culturally.... and (at the very least) - gave me six extra credits, at the end of them, that I used for graduation purposes.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

An Englishmen I worked with, who lived in Norway for years, found it difficult to pick up Norsk because everybody wanted to practice their English on him.

O

O.D.D.

An Englishmen I worked with, who lived in Norway for years, found it difficult to pick up Norsk because everybody wanted to practice their English on him.
I mean, as much of a clusterfuck as English can be... it's effectively a lingua franca for business at this point and it will get you around in a fair number of places.