• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Laptop Recommendations?

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
My desktop is basically going the way of the dinosaur, which means that I'll be looking for something new soon.

I've decided to look for a laptop and a docking station so I can plug in my nice monitor and speakers.

Do you have any recommendations of a certain brand/ model to buy?

Spesifics:

Not a gaming Laptop, just something I can work usual things such as Word, Internet, etc.
Must have at least 500 gigs memory
Must have a good sound and video cards
Must have an Intel Core Duo processor
Must not have any overheating issues or underpowered fan
Does not have to be a big laptop as I have a monitor. It can't be a really tiny one either.
Must be under $700

So there you have it! Please help me to boost my computing to the next stage.

dietrc70

I think Lenovo (formerly IBM Thinkpad) makes some of the nicest quality laptops. Check out their website; they usually have some in that price range.

Kivaari

Meow.
For $400, I think my Toshiba Satellite C655 is amazing, pretty much the only thing in my price range that actually seemed like it would still be in one piece in a few years, plus the Intel i3-2310M gives me some gaming ability. That said, if I could go back I'd have saved up a bit more for a Dell Latitude E5420. Sure, my Toshiba doesn't feel too flimsy, but consumer model laptops really aren't made to take a beating, while business model ones are. And with the new Intel processors coming with integrated graphics that are pretty decent, I don't think there are any drawbacks to getting one. Since you have $700, I'd probably get the base model E5420, then upgrade the hard drive and RAM.

Onnes

Just some notes here:
If you aren't looking for a gaming laptop then you don't need a discrete video card. Nothing is going to have a discrete sound card. Ideally you want to get a Sandy Bridge or Fusion processor which include a decent GPU.

I think Lenovo (formerly IBM Thinkpad) makes some of the nicest quality laptops. Check out their website; they usually have some in that price range.

Yeah, I love my Thinkpad X220, however most Thinkpads are probably going to wind up past the $700 budget, and I don't know that Lenovo's other lines are anywhere near that quality.

dietrc70

Lenovo often has something in the "T" (general business-class series) around $700. They often run huge promotions on certain models. I agree that the lower level models aren't necessarily better than other brands.

Spongecat's advice is good too. I've not been pleased at all with the quality of most consumer laptops, but once you get to the business level (like the Latitude) I think you're less likely to have problems.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
... You... Probably should do a bit more research into what the current state of the market is, and what your needs are. What ARE you going to do with the computer? What's the most intense task you're going to throw at it? I mean, for just general internet/word processing, something based around an AMD E350 would be fine, even.

Noobkillerxx

Banned
Banned
My desktop is basically going the way of the dinosaur, which means that I'll be looking for something new soon.

I've decided to look for a laptop and a docking station so I can plug in my nice monitor and speakers.

Do you have any recommendations of a certain brand/ model to buy?

Spesifics:

Not a gaming Laptop, just something I can work usual things such as Word, Internet, etc.
Must have at least 500 gigs memory
Must have a good sound and video cards
Must not have any overheating issues or underpowered fan
Does not have to be a big laptop as I have a monitor. It can't be a really tiny one either.
Must be under $700

So there you have it! Please help me to boost my computing to the next stage.

I think you mean a 500 GB Hard drive, but no biggie, my friends make the same mistake. Try an ASUS laptop, they have great support, and warranty.

FF_CCSa1F

Hippie
You should look at business-end HP ("b" suffix Probook models) or Dell. You want to avoid anything that's marketed primarily toward consumers, such as the HP Compaq or Pavilion series and the Lenovo Ideapad and Thinkpad Edge series. Lenovo do make good laptops, but I doubt you're going to get a good T series (which is the only series you want) for $700.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I don't know if they make laptops like this, but if it allows you to easily upgrade ram/graphics cards/processor cores...get that one. Basically get the laptop that's a portable desktop...if it exists. Though it would probably be quite expensive.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
does it HAVE to be a laptop? for 700 bucks you could buy a VERY decent tower instead!
i am only making this suggestion since you didnt really tell us what you want to do with it. and with a desktop PC it would be a lot easier and a lot cheaper to have what you listed up there.