• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Learning a New Language, Feeling Overwhelmed; Any Advice?

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
So my dumb ass decided to learn a language without any curriculum or official resources. It's not a widely spoken language, not technically useful per se, but it's what my grandmother spoke, so I'm learning it anyway. I feel like I've made progress over the past couple months for sure, but I also feel like I woke up, went to get a cup of coffee, and tripped on a hidden speed-boosting tile halfway there and am now hurtling through space and time trying to grab onto literally any scrap of information or learning I can as the whole world flashes by.

Things are moving, yes, but simultaneously too quickly and too slowly; there's no balance, and I have no idea if I'm actually learning anymore or just sort of dog-paddling trying to keep up with everyone else in the dedicated Discord servers. I love learning things, I enjoy that sense that I'm making progress, but the more information I gather, the more slips out the other side of my brain, and I'm struggling to make sense of what I do know and organize it appropriately.

Moreover, I just feel exhausted. I'm not sure what to learn next or how or where. Sometimes I get the temptation to just stop, take a week off or something, but I know that's the dumbest thing I could do and it would set me right back to square one. I have to keep doing something, but I feel like maybe I misunderstood the concept of "immersion learning" and accidentally turned it into "sink or swim, dumbass; here's a lead apron."

To anyone who's ever tried learning a different language on their own: what is your advice to avoid this kind of fatigue?

Zenkiki

The softest little kitty
Learning a language takes time and it helps to understand what the language is. To learn it you will usually learn elementary level language to get you familiar with it, then it will slowly get more advanced.
if you know the sentence structure it will help. Is verb nouns or noun then the verb. If you can learn the structure it will help you read and form sentences from what you have.

Without knowing it myself, the best bet would be to work on learning the basics and mastering it. Go through it and make sure you can read, write, and pronounce basic sentences. Learn numbers, learn adverbs and tenses then work on adjectives and getting into the more complex sentences only once you understand and can do everything basic well.

You will have some days were you feel like an idiot when dealing with the language, and others you will blow past everything because you know it. Experience outranks everything so just keep working on it.

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
@CreatureOfHabit Which language is it? There may be speakers here who can practice with you.
If it's mandarin, only God can help you
It's Czech. I've asked around on Reddit, but haven't crossed paths with any Czech furs yet. I do follow a few Czech furry tags on Instagram, and reading the posts and comments is great for practice, but I'm a little too socially hecked to reach out any further, at least for now.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
It's Czech. I've asked around on Reddit, but haven't crossed paths with any Czech furs yet. I do follow a few Czech furry tags on Instagram, and reading the posts and comments is great for practice, but I'm a little too socially hecked to reach out any further, at least for now.
Sure doesn't look like an easy language. I wish you luck though!

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™

Zenkiki

The softest little kitty
Czech is one of the hardest to learn from an English-> Czech or vice versa, because of the vastly different structure, but you can also extend it to polish, which I knew there are a few people on here that speak it. It isn't the same thing as czech, but it could help you get some more exposure. ( @HistoricalyIncorrect)

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
Learning a language takes time and it helps to understand what the language is. To learn it you will usually learn elementary level language to get you familiar with it, then it will slowly get more advanced.
if you know the sentence structure it will help. Is verb nouns or noun then the verb. If you can learn the structure it will help you read and form sentences from what you have.

Without knowing it myself, the best bet would be to work on learning the basics and mastering it. Go through it and make sure you can read, write, and pronounce basic sentences. Learn numbers, learn adverbs and tenses then work on adjectives and getting into the more complex sentences only once you understand and can do everything basic well.

You will have some days were you feel like an idiot when dealing with the language, and others you will blow past everything because you know it. Experience outranks everything so just keep working on it.
Somehow I didn't even see this post until now, I'm sorry. ; - ; Thank you for the advice!

So far, I've learned a few words and phrases and I'm muddling through with learning the grammar. The sentence structure, according to what I've been told, depends on the focus of the sentence, like what you think is the most important to get across, which is only about 50% helpful, haha. I can sort of pick up on the meaning of some sentences based on my limited vocabulary, which makes learning by reading that much more effective, but it's still a lot, and composing sentences correctly is way harder than comprehending them. Verbs and tenses are just an entire struggle bus on their own ._.

I'm mainly just trying to not get panicky or completely implode. Like I said, I love the learning process, but there's just a lot flying by my head and I keep forgetting one thing after learning another. Maybe I'm trying to learn too fast or something? IDK. I've heard that if you don't practice daily when learning a language, you lose a lot of what you gained, so I'm basically trying to figure out A) how to keep learning and B) how to learn at a better pace.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Somehow I didn't even see this post until now, I'm sorry. ; - ; Thank you for the advice!

So far, I've learned a few words and phrases and I'm muddling through with learning the grammar. The sentence structure, according to what I've been told, depends on the focus of the sentence, like what you think is the most important to get across, which is only about 50% helpful, haha. I can sort of pick up on the meaning of some sentences based on my limited vocabulary, which makes learning by reading that much more effective, but it's still a lot, and composing sentences correctly is way harder than comprehending them. Verbs and tenses are just an entire struggle bus on their own ._.

I'm mainly just trying to not get panicky or completely implode. Like I said, I love the learning process, but there's just a lot flying by my head and I keep forgetting one thing after learning another. Maybe I'm trying to learn too fast or something? IDK. I've heard that if you don't practice daily when learning a language, you lose a lot of what you gained, so I'm basically trying to figure out A) how to keep learning and B) how to learn at a better pace.
Is this one of those languages where the subject verb object can change at will?

Zenkiki

The softest little kitty

I would spend no more than an hour straight trying to learn it, and if you are in the mood and really really want to keep going then go again, but I would give yourself atleast two hours of a break. If you are serious about learning the language then you should get 15-20 hours of experience a week, but that is by no means what you have to do. 5 hours will still help you learn. So like I said earlier,just take your time with it and learn as you feel like you can do it, and do not stress yourself about learning it otherwise you might just end up giving up entirely.

If you are having trouble understanding stuff and you are lost slow down and back up. Never be afraid of going back to relearn something. So those days that you are lost and don't understand anything, go back and try to understand it more. If you need help ask people who know or could help. If you are burnt out give it a break and don't push yourself otherwise it will be a chore and not a fun experience for you to be happy about.
I lived in Japan for 3 years, and I started with the basics and by the end of the time I lived there I was able to speak it well, but definitely not near to perfect, so it all takes time.

quoting_mungo

I don’t personally have experience with self-teaching a language (and English is literally the only foreign language that I seem to be able to brain - language learning is not my strong suit), but my boyfriend has been working on his Swedish using Duolingo and has largely found it helpful once he realized that the web interface offers more in-depth background information than the app. He’s also taken some Swedish For Immigrants classes after moving here, so I am not going to claim your situations are equivalent, but looking for a Duolingo or similar course for Czech might be a good way of finding some structure for your learning.

One of the YouTube creators I follow is a polyglot and learns languages as a hobby, so looking into her (and others’) videos on how they learn languages might also be helpful: Languages - YouTube

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Czech is one of the hardest to learn from an English-> Czech or vice versa, because of the vastly different structure, but you can also extend it to polish, which I knew there are a few people on here that speak it. It isn't the same thing as czech, but it could help you get some more exposure. ( @HistoricalyIncorrect)
Ahh the Czechs, we love them but they don't return this love. Their language for me is the most hilarious for Poles to hear and vice versa.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Try to translate in your mind about every speech you speak into the language you're learning, it helps a lot and especially let you know the mistakes when you somehow catch it.

Plus, when you can manage to have a conversation with the natives, like mix some(or most) with English, then the natives know it and you might learn something from them if they're kind enough :3

I'm into Japanese recently, by the way.

If it's mandarin, only God can help you

I learnt it while I'm not Mandarin myself. God helped me, perhaps? XD

Trndsttr

Yeet
I’ve been wanting to learn Korean for a while, as I think it’s a beautiful language South Korea is a place I’d really love to go. It’s certainly not easy, and I still know like three words after almost three months, but that’s only because I get distracted and forget about lessons easily. This thread has been super helpful, thanks everyone.

rekcerW

Do you not have any other relatives that are fluent or at least familiar with the language that you can converse with?