• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Bug/Site Problem: Left slash not showing in shouts and posting to forum problem

Cloudchaser

I just noticed that when I try to leave a shout with left and right slashes in it on another user's main page, the left slashes do not show though the right ones do. Why is this?

Also, while trying to post this, I clicked on "create thread" and I get an "open" box as if I clicked on "upload a file" I had to keep hitting the tab key until the "create thread" button was highlighted and then hit "enter" to post

J

jayhusky

Now I may be wrong, but given that the shouts are likely stored in FA's DB under the VARCHAR type, its possible the backward slashes or \ character is removed automatically as it is considered in most programming languages an "escape" character.

An example of this is if I wrote the line "Even I'm just trying to post a shout" the server would read my line and determine that the apostrophe would likely break the line of code (opening up a possibility for SQL injection), so it escapes it by placing a backward slash in front of the apostrophe.

So even though I wrote it without the slash, it will alter it to contain a slash ("Even I\'m just trying to post a shout") and then whenever it is shown on a page, it will parse it without the slash for easy reading by the end user.

In short, it could be a small bug in the code, OR as I pointed out above, it may be a deliberate move to remove the possibilities of SQL injection (although I do believe FA is/was vulnerable to this at some point or another). For the sake of clarity on the situation regarding slashes, I would refer this matter to @SSJ3Mewtwo or @yak as they would hopefully be able to confirm or deny if this is intended or otherwise.

As for your create thread problems, are you running any extensions or add-ons in your browser that may be interfering with the current webpage? (AdBlock, Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, NoScript etc)

Cloudchaser

Thanks, I'll ask them about it :)

I discovered that having this forum in Flashcontrol's whitelist was causing the problem. Made a separate bug report post about that issue

J

jayhusky

Ok, if they report back with any findings (and they're not critical to security), could you post that here in case other users report the same issue.

As for the flashcontrol whitelist, thank you for posting that here, it'll be useful in case others have the same issue.