• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Lent

T

Tewin Follow

A month.
Yeah, its p cool.
We don't really have anything like that in Christianity.
I'd like to see a little Christian reformation with a push more towards a serious approach to Lent. I mean, Lent is mostly about self-discipline by stopping yourself from certain objects of comfort, but Ramadan includes alms giving and devoting time to society.

im a fan of compassion
i mean, all we gots on this stupid rock is each other
well
also we have cats
but they're kind of assholes

:3

but i mean, this is all me
right here
you have a right to believe and act however you feel is proper in my mind

Harebelle Jade <3 Jelly because he's not one of those douche religious blokes like most others on the Internets.
It might be because they're teenagers, but THAT IS NO EXCUSE.

---

If it actually brings people together to do something charitable, then that's cool.
But you don't need to be part of a Super Exclusive Club to be cool. Even though a lot of people in those clubs seems to think so.

It's not nice to tell people they're heartless and assume they deserve rubbish Forevers because they aren't in those clubs.

CATS
I'm reading Warrior Cats. They are arseholes.

Leon

Hot sammiches and cold beer.
A month.
Yeah, its p cool.
We don't really have anything like that in Christianity.
I'd like to see a little Christian reformation with a push more towards a serious approach to Lent. I mean, Lent is mostly about self-discipline by stopping yourself from certain objects of comfort, but Ramadan includes alms giving and devoting time to society.

im a fan of compassion
i mean, all we gots on this stupid rock is each other
well
also we have cats
but they're kind of assholes

:3

but i mean, this is all me
right here
you have a right to believe and act however you feel is proper in my mind

I think my mind is broken, jelly has a soul....

J

Jelly

I wouldn't know what to give up for lent. I don't see the point of giving something up unless it's bad for you, and I don't drink, or smoke, or eat unhealthy food often, or whatever.

It teaches you sympathy for those that don't have.
Conversely, it also helps you recede away from materialism, since you're supposed to spend most of the time contemplating the nature of God and human nature, but also that you learn to triumph over want and needs for willpower.

But I could see how you can interpret it as a totally confusing gesture.

I mean, if you've ever given up something with no pressure from society, you gain an appreciation for the mechanations of how you work and categorize your needs in society.

i know it doesnt seem very profound
but it helps me remain mindful of what im doing with my life
and to avoid complacency, i guess

but im a butthole
so yeah
thats me

KashakuTatsu

Ihanen Guide my Hand
*Rubs the sleep outta her eyes*

If it actually brings people together to do something charitable, then that's cool.

If only there could be a reform that brought everyone together as a society despite religious differences....

I will give to christian charities who come by work even though I'm pagan, why let the kids of orphanages suffer cause I'm too petty to see past the religion of the place? Hell I even go to a meditation shrine that claims to be for all religions, but it kinda leaves pagans out of the motif when it comes to religious icon placement. The grounds of the place is beautiful and it's a powerful place to go when you need peace and time away from the city. I was blown away when I found a place like the Lake Shrine existed within Los Angeles lol.

I wouldn't know what to give up for lent. I don't see the point of giving something up unless it's bad for you, and I don't drink, or smoke, or eat unhealthy food often, or whatever.

Develop an immune disease and you'll find out really fast how bad for you the "healthy food" really is XD I swear I can't have anything other than meat, dairy, rice, fruit, kelp and hemp cause the rest have the veggies that damage your body (most of them seem to damage thyroid or suck out iodine from the body), gluten, leavening or the wrong combo of chemicals in them.... Damn annoying if you ask me and has been a long hard road of giving up all my former fave foods and adopting a non-victim mentality of "poor me I can't .... anymore." But hell I'm still alive even if I do slip and get a salad, then the hives that'll follow lol

Idlewild

Will jump for sugar cubes.
A few years ago, I gave up soda/ unhealthy carbonated beverages. I'll probably just keep doing that, considering after that Lent, I rarely drink soda anymore as it is, haha!

I almost forgot about it this year until I got a pamphlet in the mail. XD

Captain Spyro

Heart of the DragonStar
We don't. My family and I are Christians, but we never practiced this lent thing. Never even heard of it before now.

footfoe

Beware of Molesters
The dark lord Atheon has breathed the word of doubt into my mind. So i don't practice lent.

Captain Spyro

Heart of the DragonStar
it's a catholic thing. You know Catholics aka REAL Christians.

lol

Explains that then.

Protestants are borings sometimes. :3

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I gave up my news years resolution. ._.

selkie

'ã……'
My church never really pressured us to do it, but the notion seems like a really good one, even out of any religious context.

So I gave up tea and almond milk.

I guess liesure time, for lack of a better phrase.
Now I'm going to all the student-run stuff nobody else wants to go to because it sounds lame. And going to all the early morning volunteer stuff that nobody bothers to wake up for.

And working in the community garden.

I really like my schedule now, actually. I should probably keep on with it.

Qoph

omurr
Even when I was Catholic I didn't ever really succeed in giving up anything.

Now, there's nothing I really want to give up, so meh.

Qoph

omurr
My grandmother gave up chocolate so I got all of her extra Hershey's. :3

I gave up red meat.

You are one brave woman. Or man... or is it woman again, your profile says female : /

Fuh

Explains that then.

Protestants are borings sometimes. :3

Protestants can use contraception :3 Catholics technically can't. Explains why I have so many fucking siblings...

I didn't give up anything for Lent, because I didn't realise until a week later. Since leaving school, I have no idea when it occurs now D:

That being said, I never actually gave up anything before. Hmmm. It's a good theory, Lent is. I should start now, even if it is late. Just what do I want to give up... :S

Captain Spyro

Heart of the DragonStar
Protestants can use contraception :3 Catholics technically can't. Explains why I have so many fucking siblings...

Maybe so, but that doesn't stop the hardliners from complaining about the evils of contraception and birth control. :3