• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Let's assume you were to hit your noggin.

FunniValentine

Valentine
You hit your noggin, wake up, and have gained Acquired Savant Syndrome. This condition unlocks savant skills at an almost prodigy level of expertise, and is typically caused by a head injury to the left anterior temporal lobe, and has been artificially induced before. What's your skill? What's the one thing, if anything, that you'd want to unlock? Language skills? Music, perhaps? The possibilities are limitless, and I find it a incredibly interesting phenomena. I personally would hope for language skills, as one of my dreams has always been to be able to travel anywhere and connect and communicate with locals.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
After looking up the syndrome in question, I'm actually not sure I could give the typical answer as the five typical areas they cover aren't the ones where I could see much difference in my life.

Then again you're talking to someone who notices a license plate while driving and has their brain idly determine whether the total numbers on it (as in, line all the numbers up together and use THAT big number as the "total") are a multiple of 3, 6, or 9, regardless of whether there's a context for needing those multiples. There's also a certain level of musical timing recall (as in remembering the way a song sounds long after it's relevant - and with someone watching me imitate a metronome I could probably get a feel for the BPM or timescale of it, though no exact numbers as that requires a bit more effort) but I don't know to what degree that is actually standard. And these are just the two that come off the top of my head - there may be more I've just thought were normal and didn't bother exploring.

There is an outside possibility of me already HAVING some level of savant ability, and if it really is true, I can tell you it often comes with obsessive tendencies that damage a lot of normal interactions. Some people around here have already SEEN the results of that.

(Edit: This is also a reason I don't brag about it if it turns out I DO have savant abilities and why I try not to think about labels like this OR the extent of if there's a serious ability here. It's nowhere NEAR as happy as it would seem.)

Last edited:

Kuuro

Hey man, look at me rocking out!
God, what a choice... Probably drawing, honestly. Music would be my first choice, but for me it feels easier to just learn than drawing does. Plus, you gotta have some things you master naturally -- where's the reward if you didn't put any effort in? I feel like you'd quickly become bored of whatever skill you'd attained if it were free

Kinare

RAWR
People skillz. Knowing how to talk to people is everything in this world.

Alternatively, art.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Language would open up so many doors. I could travel the world as an english teacher, or just have the chance to make friends wherever I go.

Music would be nice too... instead of deciphering and memorizing one note at a time, I could write my own sheet music instead!

It's hard to pick just one, but for the sake of choice, I'll stick with language. I could find art opportunities where the better schools are and possibly make friends. If neither of those, then at least get me a better paying job that isn't retail!

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
People skillz. Knowing how to talk to people is everything in this world.

Alternatively, art.
Admittedly people skills were one of the things I'd want. I just... didn't see that at the time I looked up the condition in question.

And looking up the condition kinda gave me some downsides.

Language alone probably wouldn't do it for me because that doesn't automatically imply the right ways to use it where it matters.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Art is something I already feel I am constantly improving at, so I think I would go with music, as learning it is hardly intuitive for me and kind of frustrating, but it would feel highly rewarding to play my favorite metal songs and I've thought a lot about how I would do guitar covers of songs if I could.

Sappho

Canis Centuarus
Draw amazing art...

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
You hit your noggin, wake up, and have gained Acquired Savant Syndrome. This condition unlocks savant skills at an almost prodigy level of expertise, and is typically caused by a head injury to the left anterior temporal lobe, and has been artificially induced before. What's your skill? What's the one thing, if anything, that you'd want to unlock? Language skills? Music, perhaps? The possibilities are limitless, and I find it a incredibly interesting phenomena. I personally would hope for language skills, as one of my dreams has always been to be able to travel anywhere and connect and communicate with locals.

Language. I would love to be able to talk to anyone in any language and understand any language. Opens the world right up for people obviously, but even in art and literature and movies and other things of that nature I'm just getting "translations" of things normally and not the original subtleties from the original language/performer becasue I can't understand it. Problem solved! <grin>

Good Boy Avery

Level 28 Good Boy
Music. Instruments. Piano, guitar, violin, ukelele. You don't have to speak the same language to jam out with someone. And i feel I'd be able to be more open with emotions through song.

ssaannttoo

I mean I think it would be super cool to get into like math or science. Something that can help people ya know? I dot know if I will become some Telepath because of it, but that could be pretty cool a swell! I sorta wanna be a Renaissance man.

Shane the chocco doggo

Overly imaginative and lazy
To be able to draw as good as some of the top artists. I love to do art and Express and put on paper what I'm seeing in my head. but it becomes a daunting task when i can't draw all that good . My imagination can be bursting to the brim with ideas. I just can't put them on paper or bring to life and i hate it .

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
After cracking open my skull, I will suddenly be able to sing and play the bass at the same time. And so will begin my career as the front man in a The Police cover band.

sleepy kitty

oh no, it's that crazy cat :o
I'd also love to be able to speak perfect French, Spanish and German

L.Rey

Lucas, the wanderer
Art. I'd be one of those talented artists that loves to do gift art for friends, even some occasional random folk. Maybe I wouldn't be too quirky, creative, or amazing as others...but there have been times where I've had ideas I wish I could bring to life myself, instead of depending on others. Perhaps even some animating too. Alas, I don't have enough patience or confidence to actually do it...I've tried. It's hard to satisfy myself, to the point where I've been my own bully. Although I've actually made some very few pieces myself, it took a lot of personal effort...for art that's mediocre at best. Now it's something I VERY RARELY do, if at all..

Last edited: