• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Let's keep it real: The video game industry is dying and developers don't care

A

aeroxwolf

Well, the year is 2015 and we are currently in the 8th console generation and I am very disappointed. Over the past couple of years some very ugly trends have began to become the norm for video games and it's killing them.

Milking the franchises: creating a popular franchise is great for developer's. It gives developers a reputation (which is a big thing in all industries) and it make you lots of money. With every successful game, comes a sequel and with a successful sequel comes a trilogy. It takes time to create a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. It usually takes developers 3-4 years to make sequels that are worth the wait. Halo 1-3 spand spanded from 2001-2007. Thats 3 games in the space of 6 years. Now look at the current rate at which we get sequels: Assasins creed and call of duty. While theses are great games in their own right, they don't do a lot to separate themselves from the previous installments. Sure, better graphics and a few more features, but essentially the same game recycled year in year out to keep fans happy and in the process, make more money.

Exclusives? What exclusives?:
During the last generation of consoles, it was clear what console to own. If you wanted to play Gears of War, Forza or Halo, you bought an Xbox 360. Want to play Metal Gear Solid, Gran Torismo or Killzone, you bought a PS3. Now, developers are BUYING companies to make multi platform games exclusive to certain consoles. Tomb Raider 2 and Fallout 4 may be Xbox One exclusives, despite being multi platform in the past.

DLC:
Three words that didn't mean a thing 6 years ago. You could buy . Full game for full price. Now, you buy part of a game, that doesn't work, for full price. But its okay, we will fix it with DLC. No, its not okay, it wrong. Part of developing a game is taking time to fix the bugs to make sure the game works when its shipped out. Granted, not all bugs can be fixed and this is where DLC is useful, but developers have seen this a golden opportunity to rush the game out the door to neet unrealistic deadlines to beat its competitors. Just look at Battlefield 4 and AC: unity. remember being confused at the beginning of Mass Effect 3? Me too, apparently bioware forgot to tell me that DLC missions for ME2 where part of the story for 3, lucky me. Don't get me started on the ending. There needs to be changes within the gaming industry. Developers need to stop being greedy.

MaximizedNOVA

YoungClaw The Bright
Well, we are all certainly waiting for 2016, where some great games are scheduled to be released.
its not dying, those are just mainstream games.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Nintendo currs

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Like any corporation, Game Developers only care about $$$. They already know they have a demand for their product and know that people are going to buy their games no matter how shit they are, so unless people stop buying, they have no incentive to change.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
That's not even mentioning the slave like nature of the industry itself. People are paid peanuts to do forced over time, deal with bad workplace ethics, etc. Basically everything I hear about working in games sucks.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
That's not even mentioning the slave like nature of the industry itself. People are paid peanuts to do forced over time, deal with bad workplace ethics, etc. Basically everything I hear about working in games sucks.
TBH, This shit was happening to Capcom since the 2000's

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Exclusives are dumb and anti-consumer anyways. (althougn Nintendo clearly has all the goodies) DLC is pretty shitty but there are still games that don't sell DLC out there and on occasion DLC isn't being abused. Franchise milking isn't bad in and of itself as long as the games being made are still good (lol at Assassin's Creed: Unity).
I think you mean
"The console industry is dying, and nobody at all cares" :v
DLC and franchise milking exist everywhere.
Also if the 3DS counts as a console its nowhere near dying and is probably the most successful thing out there.

ToastyStrewdle

I somewhat agree, and somewhat don't.
A lot of games I've been noticing the same thing, but Nintendo has proved itself to think otherwise...sometimes...
Games like the FNaF series, have done an awesome job at not just copying everything from its previous games.
1st one: Doors would keep you safe.
2nd on: A mask and flashlight would keep you safe.
3rd one: An audio recording would keep you safe.
And I agree with Battlechili1 about the 3ds. I am impressed with Nintendo about their mobile game systems.

A

aeroxwolf

To be honest, i didn't have Nintendo in mind when I created this thread. I'm just not a huge fan. That's not to say I don't like the games they create. I loves Mario, but I feel like Nintendo are seriously lagging behind. As fun as a console the wii was, it looked like last-generation console in the time of the PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii U now looks like a PS3 in the time of PS4 and XBONE. I don't know, maybe Nintendo intended to not make their consoles as powerful so they last longer, but they've because the little man against the giants of Microsoft and Sony. the only thing Nintendo has going for them is the next Zelda and StarFox. lets be honest, everyone one this forum is going to buy a new StarFox ;D

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I hardly care what happens in console world.
PC Gaming. That is all.
Because PC gaming doesn't have a problem with rehashes and DLC amirite? :V
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307780/ ($35 DLC)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/311730/ ($250+ for costume DLC)
the only thing Nintendo has going for them is the next Zelda and StarFox.
Excuse me?
[video=youtube;qQrYwYbwlS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQrYwYbwlS4[/video]
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Slated for release in a week for Japan and in a few months for the rest of the world. 2nd party Nintendo game (Nintendo owns the IP and company developing it but isn't developing it themselves)

Last edited:

MaximizedNOVA

YoungClaw The Bright
Agreed. Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of those games that I have high expectations for.

JerryFoxcoon

The classy Captain Furfag
I sort of liked video games when you had a controller with buttons. I say sort of because I've always been the biggest video game loser of all time, although I could at least get some sort of enjoyment from it. Now with that controller-less trend crap, any enjoyment I had is gone. I'm so bad with those new interfaces it's not even funny anymore.

I MAY take my old consoles out of storage eventually, but otherwise I no longer play video games.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
I'm sorry the game industry isn't dying, it's going to stay for a long time. consoles maybe not as much but gaming won't die in any sort of nearish future. shitty mainstream games and cashcows are not a sign of anything special or bad. they just happen. also now more than ever smaller games can get attention.
also DLCs where always a thing, they were called expansion packs before.
The only reason there's more "milking of francizes" now is because there are actual gaming francizes that poeple know about as opposed to 2000s. But even then there was a thing called game adaptions of movies, which where a thing since the SNES.

Nothing really changed except the semantics, so just learn these new words don't mean anything that already didn't exist and stop being so extreme. Things can be mundane or with lots of shitty stuff without them dying. Let's keep it real, you're being way too overdramatic.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
No it isn't...what?
He's saying that the game device that you idolize doesn't fit everyone's wants/needs and that it isn't his preferred form of gaming nor does it solve OP's described issue.

Stratelier

I don't buy into any of that "master race" bullcrap. Regardless of specs, a keyboard and mouse are fundamentally different input devices than two control sticks and an ergonomic arrangement of face buttons, and touchscreens are fundamentally different again. All three have their pros and cons. Don't play RTS games on a console, don't play console games on a touchpad, and don't play touchpad games with a mouse.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Video games are becoming like the film industry- lucrative franchises that spawn sequel after sequel are safer bets than someone's art-house game.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Video games are becoming like the film industry- lucrative franchises that spawn sequel after sequel are safer bets than someone's art-house game.
Probably because they're so expensive to make these days. The more powerful hardware becomes, the more people expect out of the games. Cavia became bankrupt making its arthouse games (Drakengard/Nier). Australia lost its only major game developer recently. Companies NEED to play it safe or they get screwed over, probably in part because people expect so much out of games these days.

Kashou

The Lone Wolf~
He's saying that the game device that you idolize doesn't fit everyone's wants/needs and that it isn't his preferred form of gaming nor does it solve OP's described issue.

That's be a weird thing to say considering I wasn't arguing that any of those things were the case, nor do I idolize PC gaming. But I was hoping I could just get away with a light remark without having to elaborate on it. *Shrugs* I know, shame on me for thinking like that... Bad Kashou... Bad...