• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Let's keep it real: The video game industry is dying and developers don't care

A

aeroxwolf

"also DLCs where always a thing, they were called expansion packs before.
The only reason there's more "milking of francizes" now is because there are actual gaming francizes that poeple know about as opposed to 2000s"

Absolutely, but you misunderstand. DlC (expansion done right) StarCraft: Brood wars, World of Warcraft Expansion packs, Diablo 2 expansion pack, Fable: the lost chapters. DLC done wrong: call of duty weapon skins (seriously?), Metro: ranger mode locked unless you pay for it (go look it up), marvel vs capcom capcom: locked disc content

Maugryph

Well, the year is 2015 and we are currently in the 8th console generation and I am very disappointed. Over the past couple of years some very ugly trends have began to become the norm for video games and it's killing them.

Milking the franchises: creating a popular franchise is great for developer's. It gives developers a reputation (which is a big thing in all industries) and it make you lots of money. With every successful game, comes a sequel and with a successful sequel comes a trilogy. It takes time to create a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. It usually takes developers 3-4 years to make sequels that are worth the wait. Halo 1-3 spand spanded from 2001-2007. Thats 3 games in the space of 6 years. Now look at the current rate at which we get sequels: Assasins creed and call of duty. While theses are great games in their own right, they don't do a lot to separate themselves from the previous installments. Sure, better graphics and a few more features, but essentially the same game recycled year in year out to keep fans happy and in the process, make more money.

Exclusives? What exclusives?:
During the last generation of consoles, it was clear what console to own. If you wanted to play Gears of War, Forza or Halo, you bought an Xbox 360. Want to play Metal Gear Solid, Gran Torismo or Killzone, you bought a PS3. Now, developers are BUYING companies to make multi platform games exclusive to certain consoles. Tomb Raider 2 and Fallout 4 may be Xbox One exclusives, despite being multi platform in the past.

DLC:
Three words that didn't mean a thing 6 years ago. You could buy . Full game for full price. Now, you buy part of a game, that doesn't work, for full price. But its okay, we will fix it with DLC. No, its not okay, it wrong. Part of developing a game is taking time to fix the bugs to make sure the game works when its shipped out. Granted, not all bugs can be fixed and this is where DLC is useful, but developers have seen this a golden opportunity to rush the game out the door to neet unrealistic deadlines to beat its competitors. Just look at Battlefield 4 and AC: unity. remember being confused at the beginning of Mass Effect 3? Me too, apparently bioware forgot to tell me that DLC missions for ME2 where part of the story for 3, lucky me. Don't get me started on the ending. There needs to be changes within the gaming industry. Developers need to stop being greedy.

Successful games have always had sequels.. *cough* pac-man *cough* mario *cough* grandtheftauto. There has also been "DLC' as long as I played games that where called expansion packs.

Exclusives have been a part of gaming since the birth of game consoles. If a system dosen't have an exclusive that you want, what is the point of buying that console? Exclusives creative competition for both sides to offer more interesting experiences then just offering "Call of Duty Clone 8000" all the time.

The gaming industry is a business. Their goal is to make a profit. If they didn't then they would go under. Do you think dev should just give their games for free? That's why we have the freemium infestation because people are too cheep to buy games.

You can always play indies. There are aplenty of indie titles that are of high quality and don't depend on a 8-bit aesthetic (athough I do not mind well made retroish games).

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Excuse me?
Don't even bother, I told people to buy Xenoblade before it came out and no buying the damn game. despite it being really good.
lets be honest, everyone one this forum is going to buy a new StarFox ;D
What...?

Star Fox U is already shit, Since Miyamoto wants to add minigames and a monster of the week style plot with a Dangaioh like robot.
marvel vs capcom capcom: locked disc content
That's like every modern capcom fighter but TvC.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
edit: hmm how did this get here o.o
also pretty sure this gets talked about like a couple times each year >.>

Last edited:

ADF

Releasing unfinished games has been the worst trend of this generation, that's just unacceptable.

I'm pretty sure the expense of modern game development is going to push developers to expand onto more platforms they previously didn't consider. The PS3/XBox 360 generation pretty much spelled the end to conventional exclusively as everything seemed to be going cross platform, even some trying to offer Wii versions despite their lack of success on there. As costs continue to balloon, exclusivity will mostly only come from 1st party funded titles. For the 3rd party going exclusive to any one platform is just a risk that is paying off less and less.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing cross platform titles that include mobile platforms like tablets and phones. The mobile market isn't quite ready for that yet, but if you look at some of the last generation ports and what the mobile GPU companies are achieving; it's just about hardware penetration at this point.

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Releasing unfinished games has been the worst trend of this generation, that's just unacceptable..

Believe me, that's been happening since gaming began. There's just enough people to notice and bitch about it now.

Ris'hary

My opinion:
First, dying is a harsh term. There had been some changes in the past few years in terms of what games we actually get from the developers and what can generally be expected (For example, call of duty players will expect a new title pretty much every year).

Me and many of my friends who are in their mid-late 20's and have been gaming for most of our lives simply can't enjoy a lot of the new titles because they don't match with our taste and we might even feel "Betrayed" by current developers for butchering old series but younger gamers have no such nostalgic feelings.

So in short - A lot of older gamers generally don't like the current generation but the industry isn't dying.

A

aeroxwolf

Me and many of my friends who are in their mid-late 20's and have been gaming for most of our lives simply can't enjoy a lot of the new titles because they don't match with our taste and we might even feel "Betrayed" by current developers for butchering old series but younger gamers have no such nostalgic feelings.

So in short - A lot of older gamers generally don't like the current generation but the industry isn't dying.

I guess "dying" is a strong word, disappointing is more appropriate. But Im only in my early 20's and the PlayStation 2 was my first own console. So what your telling me is im classed as an old gamer because I (and many others) expect too much from today's video games? Im older and smarter with money than when i was 15. I dont expect too much from video games, I just know when I'm getting ripped off.

MGS 5: GS- I completed in 4 hours (side quests included) I paid for a demo £25 ($40)
Evolve - Has two game modes without story (zero replay value with DLC galore) £50 ($74)
Battlefield 4 - I understand server problems at launch, but the game was a broken/buggy mess £50 ($74)
Call of Duty - Activision still have the audacity to charge full price every year for this recycled crap £45 ($67)
Master Chief Collection - have they even fixed it yet?
Watch Dogs - Ubisoft lied not only to console gamers, but to PC gamers as well, what the f*ck?

Doom and gloom aside, here are some games that are good or look promising: Bloodborne, Killzone: SF, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, MGS5: TPP, The Witcher 3, Infamous: SS and Half-Life 3 (soon, very soon)

Last edited by a moderator:

ADF

Believe me, that's been happening since gaming began. There's just enough people to notice and bitch about it now.

To varying extents but Master Chief collection? Assassins Creed Unity? Games I hear were utterly broken on release.

Maugryph

I guess "dying" is a strong word, disappointing is more appropriate. But Im only in my early 20's and the PlayStation 2 was my first own console. So what your telling me is im classed as an old gamer because I (and many others) expect too much from today's video games? Im older and smarter with money than when i was 15. I dont expect too much from video games, I just know when I'm getting ripped off.

MGS 5: GS- I completed in 4 hours (side quests included) I paid for a demo £25 ($40)
Evolve - Has two game modes without story (zero replay value with DLC galore) £50 ($74)
Battlefield 4 - I understand server problems at launch, but the game was a broken/buggy mess £50 ($74)
Call of Duty - Activision still have the audacity to charge full price every year for this recycled crap £45 ($67)
Master Chief Collection - have they even fixed it yet?
Watch Dogs - Ubisoft lied not only to console gamers, but to PC gamers as well, what the f*ck?

Doom and gloom aside, here are some games that are good or look promising: Bloodborne, Killzone: SF, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, MGS5: TPP, The Witcher 3, Infamous: SS and Half-Life 3 (soon, very soon)

You not an 'old' gamer if your first console was a PS2. When I think of 'old' gamer, I visualize someone playing a Magnavox Odyssey or something.

GamingGal

I think gaming is simply changing it's face. Someone once made the point that those of us born in the 90's (1993 here!) have experienced such a change in how things work/are over the course of our lifetime that it has affected us for both better and worse. Perhaps this could be the case in some of our gaming ideals and thoughts? I have an N64 and cherish it and my Gamecube games and GBA games more than I do my PS3/Xbox/Wii games. I'm not saying the new generation of games suck, but they're a lot different than what I grew up with, so of course I'm going to have issue with them.

*shrugs*
Then again, all this is coming from someone who rarely ventures into the video game world these days due to money and stuff.

Although, I will say that, as said before me, DLCs are no new thing. I remember buying all the expansion packs for The Sims back in the day, and that's basically the same thing as buying a new level to play on a game or something now.

ADF

Although, I will say that, as said before me, DLCs are no new thing. I remember buying all the expansion packs for The Sims back in the day, and that's basically the same thing as buying a new level to play on a game or something now.

I didn't have a problem with expansions back in the day, but today DLC refers to individual items. It's not a whole new campaign for a game with new content and areas, its one item or a pack of items. Often coming at a higher collective expense than expansion packs once were.

I didn't have a problem buying the expansions for Morrowind, but horse armour in Oblivion? Good grief...

Stratelier

But Im only in my early 20's and the PlayStation 2 was my first own console. So what your telling me is im classed as an old gamer --
You young whippersnappers don't know the meaning of the O word. My first gaming console was an Atari 2600, and my first computer was a Tandy 1000.

RTDragon

RTP User
My first console was an NES then went to SNES and gens, etc. I actually prefer the earlier games which also teach things that apply to modern games Though one thing for sure with PC gaming is steam since not only games get sold there but a lot of indie games do get greenlighted by the community. Also the fact software is on there.

FeralArrow

WITNESS ME
The games industry is definitely not dying. Just look at how many people play games now compared to even five years ago. Just about everyone plays games! GDC 2015 had 20,000+ attendees, and is the largest professional conference in the US.

Now, that's not to say that some of the emerging trends in gaming is not disturbing. But a lot of the issues that you cited are issues with game publishing, not game design as a whole. Right now it's in a rough spot, but if publishers keep trying to get away with crappy money-milking, people will eventually get tired of it and sales will go down. When that happens, it will start to change. And I think it's already headed in that direction, from what I saw while at GDC and all the amazing things that are in development. There is crap being produced, but I don't think it's the majority. And I genuinely think it's going to get better.

GamingGal

I didn't have a problem with expansions back in the day, but today DLC refers to individual items. It's not a whole new campaign for a game with new content and areas, its one item or a pack of items. Often coming at a higher collective expense than expansion packs once were.

I didn't have a problem buying the expansions for Morrowind, but horse armour in Oblivion? Good grief...

DLC can also refer to new content or areas, like the Borderlands DLCs (Mad Moxxi's Arena, General Knoxx's Armory, Dr. Zed Zombie thing, etc) or Left 4 Dead DLCs (which gave more levels to fight through). Sure, some of the DLC stuff is just armor or clothes, but The Sims had a few expansion packs that were just clothes or new items as well. It's just a more prevalent thing now, so now more people are complaining and fussing. Besides, no one is forcing anyone to buy that horse armor. I love some of the DLC outfits in Borderlands, but will I buy them? Nope. Does it hinder my gaming experience? Nope. Plus, I don't think the separating stuff into smaller packages to make money is only happening in the video game industry. It's a product of the current economic style.

ToastyStrewdle

hey look a train!

mercenary, hunter killer
images

-Sliqq-

Silo
"The mainstream AAA titles are dying" might be a better title. If we were to break down the idea of what a stream is, it's a constant flow of water heading in the same direction out into a larger ocean or sea. They produce the flow of these things, they erode the terrain and never change direction from the original path. We are the sea, and we continue to accept it until either something blocks the path or the stream can flow no more. The little streams may dry up, but the lakes & ponds almost never do.