• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Let's share our best and worst pieces!

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
We all have bad days, eh? But we also have good ones. One of the way we learn and grow as artists is by recognizing the mistakes we've made and improving upon them.

It's all subjective -

for the worst:
share whatever you want! It can be a really old piece, a piece where you gave up halfway through. If it makes you laugh, and you smile fondly when you remember trying your hardest on it, that's okay, too! The reason we think they're bad is because we're so much better now.

for the best: maybe you like the way you did the hair, or the colour palette. Whatever piece your proud of or makes you happy, that'll work best!

After you've picked what you want to share, I recommend writing a critique for each of them. Critiquing art is one of the surest ways to improve. I invite others to critique me as well - I love constructive criticism.

Another important note: let's all be encouraging and light-hearted here.

Show me your best pieces and share your worst! It'll be fun :)

Here's mine:

worst old:
cousland_tarot_by_biodire-d8zbsw3.png

what I would improve:

The anatomy is all fudged up. Clearly I was trying to make it fit in the frame rather than make it look natural. Her fingers -- well, to be frank, I just gave up at that point. Her face is off-centre, why! This was clearly before I knew to my anatomical fixes before I started painting. The background is also a complete mess, and the colour palette is far too saturated. At least I tried!

worst recent (March)
wolf_by_faerr-dc5wsse.png

what I would improve:

For awhile I went through a supremely textured phase, and this piece demonstrates that I went a little crazy with that. The flowers - wow, what can I even say. I hate floral work, so I didn't bother referencing them. It shows. xD

This piece was the first time I worked in grayscale to block out values. You can't even tell! Because the anatomical structure is all flipped up. The face ended up too flat, possibly because of my colouring.

I like the Bloodspill/Swiftkill-esque hair blades on top, though. Proud of that. The ears aren't so bad either.

best recent
saber_3_by_faerr-dcjtzzq.png

'flutter', what I would improve:

This was one of the first full-bodied pieces I had ever made. I realized that I sometimes rush, so I did my darndest to make sure I was making valuable improvements to this when I was creating it. And you know what, I still rushed. Look at the blur on the hind legs for example. I was too careless and it shows! If I could do it over, I'd make sure it was crisper, and more indicative of movement in the raised right paw.

The river - I don't usually paint backgrounds (common theme here, eh?). It's a photo composite and it still didn't turn out the way I wanted. Too blurry, not crisp enough. I should have spent more time painting it, but I actually forgot to finish it (because I was rushing). The pebbles on the left edge of the river are too detailed for the rest of the piece. There was a point I was thinking everything would be that detailed - why? Where would the focus be? I had my head in the clouds, and still no idea why I left it there.

The branch on the tree just behind the lower half birds - why did I leave the branch all willy wompus? I'm a goofball.

And as for the birds themselves - I could have made them stand out a lot more, but I didn't. I wish I had.

Altogether - I really like the piece. It's definitely a good one, but I know there's a lot to improve. Thankfully, that means I can strive to be better next time.

How about you guys!? :D

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
I switched art styles over time and I actually think I was better with my old work in terms of shading and detail.

I think your old work definitely has more shading value (spectrum of light to dark), but one thing I really like about your new work - more dynamic, more movement. You've clearly become more confident as you've progressed, and that really shows. Your best recent is definitely my favourite piece. It has a lot of action and a lot of detail. Those buildings, wow. I would have given up in three minutes if I had to do all those windows. I also like your perspective work. The other thing - your work has become a lot more crisp and detailed in other ways recently. You're a fabulous artist, but you already knew that. :) Well done, great progress!

Last edited:

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
I couldn't help myself, had to do one more self-critique

Recent worst #2 (August 9)
foxy_by_faerr-dcjneus.png

What I would improve:

The orange line running down the thigh is not how I wanted it. I wanted it to be like a pastel highlight, but it didn't at all come out right. At some point, I gave up trying to fix it. The lower party of the legs are a bit willy wompus, mostly because I am still figuring out anatomy. Once your eye reaches the bottom of the piece, it basically falls apart. As an artist, my mortal enemy are boots/shoes. Maybe I just don't spend enough time looking at them. The tail isn't great, and definitely deserved more of my attention.

The curve in the gun was unintentional. People who watch my art progress actually liked that, so it's part of her character now -- although she alternates between a post-apoc/western setting. Overall, if not for the sloppiness of the lower half, the piece isn't too bad. Just wish I had been more attentive before I slapped a signature on there. :p

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist

Nadiafur

Sleek!
Oh boy critique! Might as well as practice before class starts up again.

Recent Worst

1534633259.nahdiafur_demonlare-5.png

Color wise, I feel as if the mood was not conveyed properly. Although the blue provides a good amount of contrast when up against the golden light, it makes it so that it’s hard to guess at the setting. Is it morning or evening? If the outside is so sunny why is it so cold inside?
The character also feels out of place. Although the light from the window hits him, there’s not a lot of shadow or reflected light around him that anchors him to the room.

Overall I think it’s time to do some environment and color studies, because this is a mess!

Recent Best

1534360141.nahdiafur_demonlare-4.png

Funny enough, it’s a variation of the same character from abouve, just better executed in every way. Background is simple and conveys setting without going into detail, and it’s reflected in the shading on the character. Pose is balanced and linework is clean as well. Only questionalble element is the yellow highlights on the face, as pulling some more white and making it feel less isolated may be a better idea. Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how this turned out!

I

Infrarednexus

I think your old work definitely has more shading value (spectrum of light to dark), but one thing I really like about your new work - more dynamic, more movement. You've clearly become more confident as you've progressed, and that really shows. Your best recent is definitely my favourite piece. It has a lot of action and a lot of detail. Those buildings, wow. I would have given up in three minutes if I had to do all those windows. I also like your perspective work. The other thing - your work has become a lot more crisp and detailed in other ways recently. You're a fabulous artist, but you already knew that. :) Well done, great progress!
Thank you so much.

Unfortunately I have had to take a break from art since classes started, but I hope to get back into it later. I also plan on getting a better art program and drawing tablet with more versatility than the one I have been using since I started digital art. Still, like you and so many others, art is something I love, and I will always make more and improve when I have the time.

Lunaris

The Cookie Connoisseur
Since I've only started drawing recently, I'll just show my progress from the days I have been drawing :p
(Also so far I've only done headshots)
Day 1:
wMQAvRT.jpg

Day 2:
AurWLmA.jpg

Day 3:
aguGlEg.jpg

Day 4 (after a few days break cos I was working qwq):
bNWJbcg.jpg

Needless to say, progress is kinda slow. But I'm having fun with it ^-^

Bonus (before I actually starting doing art properly, I guess in terms of the thread - the worst) :p
MWf2o0E.jpg

vRBKRGt.jpg

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
Oh boy critique! Might as well as practice before class starts up again.

Color wise, I feel as if the mood was not conveyed properly. Although the blue provides a good amount of contrast when up against the golden light, it makes it so that it’s hard to guess at the setting. Is it morning or evening? If the outside is so sunny why is it so cold inside?
The character also feels out of place. Although the light from the window hits him, there’s not a lot of shadow or reflected light around him that anchors him to the room.

Overall I think it’s time to do some environment and color studies, because this is a mess!

Funny enough, it’s a variation of the same character from abouve, just better executed in every way. Background is simple and conveys setting without going into detail, and it’s reflected in the shading on the character. Pose is balanced and linework is clean as well. Only questionalble element is the yellow highlights on the face, as pulling some more white and making it feel less isolated may be a better idea. Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how this turned out!

Wow, I look both pieces a lot. The golden tones on the first one, she looks focused and in thought as she stares out the window. There's a lot of personality in that piece as well, don't sell yourself short! :eek:
The second one is definitely stronger execution in technique, and I love that piece as well - she looks happy, carefree, whimsical. I love her pose, it's dynamic and shows a lot of movement. You are a great artist!

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
I've always been terrible with digital, so in recent years I've been trying my best to learn it. I hope it's working!

You definitely show progression from your old pieces to your new! And digital medium is definitely one of the more difficult mediums - I say this as a person who enjoys painting IRL.
It's the dissonance between your hand and your eye that makes it so difficult, although it's more forgiving in terms of undos and layers - it is difficult to train your hand to do what you want.
Your work is gorgeous all around, though - your worst new and your worst old are g r e a t pieces! Maybe it's a case of the Art Cycle! Haha :) Keep up the fabulous work, you're amazing

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
Since I've only started drawing recently, I'll just show my progress from the days I have been drawing :p
(Also so far I've only done headshots)

Needless to say, progress is kinda slow. But I'm having fun with it ^-^

Wow, only recently, eh? You're doing amazing, you gotta promise me that you won't stop! :) I love how you can visibly see your confidence grow through days 1-4.
Progress is always slow, but as you experiment and do more on each piece, you'll learn small lessons that you carry forward into the next.
Here's a website I really like to use to practice, if even you only draw a line that conveys the gesture of your reference image, that's success :)
I love the day 4 dragon the best, definitely demonstrates how far you've come - and again, only in 4 days, damn! :D What art suite and tools are you using to create?

Nadiafur

Sleek!
Wow, I look both pieces a lot. The golden tones on the first one, she looks focused and in thought as she stares out the window. There's a lot of personality in that piece as well, don't sell yourself short! :eek:
The second one is definitely stronger execution in technique, and I love that piece as well - she looks happy, carefree, whimsical. I love her pose, it's dynamic and shows a lot of movement. You are a great artist!

Cheers!
I feel like one of my weaknesses is having the character feel like they belong in the environment, and I really appreciate how you can pull that off in your paintings! I felt kind of bad about that piece since it was a commission though, and I hated to send it off since I felt something was wrong.

Side note the character was presented to me as male! He looks really feminine though.

Lunaris

The Cookie Connoisseur
Wow, only recently, eh? You're doing amazing, you gotta promise me that you won't stop! :) I love how you can visibly see your confidence grow through days 1-4.
Progress is always slow, but as you experiment and do more on each piece, you'll learn small lessons that you carry forward into the next.
Here's a website I really like to use to practice, if even you only draw a line that conveys the gesture of your reference image, that's success :)
I love the day 4 dragon the best, definitely demonstrates how far you've come - and again, only in 4 days, damn! :D What art suite and tools are you using to create?

I'm using the free trial of SAI atm, and just mouse drawing. I wasn't gonna buy a tablet just yet, but it might come in handy when if I ever wanna do shading and stuff properly cos of the pressure thingy :p
And thanks for the compliments ^-^
I'm definitely continuing for now, I think I might have to start doing anatomy soon though ;D

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
Cheers!
I feel like one of my weaknesses is having the character feel like they belong in the environment, and I really appreciate how you can pull that off in your paintings! I felt kind of bad about that piece since it was a commission though, and I hated to send it off since I felt something was wrong.

Side note the character was presented to me as male! He looks really feminine though.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I read that too and it still didn't click for me ;P I'm a dumbo. Also, thank you so much! I'm actually obsessed with trying to make the character look like they belong as well - it is a supremely difficult thing to achieve.
Most of my backgrounds are done after the character, as well, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess LOL!

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
I'm using the free trial of SAI atm, and just mouse drawing. I wasn't gonna buy a tablet just yet, but it might come in handy when if I ever wanna do shading and stuff properly cos of the pressure thingy :p
And thanks for the compliments ^-^
I'm definitely continuing for now, I think I might have to start doing anatomy soon though ;D

Definitely get the tablet when you can, you'll see remarkable improvement. While I'm not the biggest fan of brands, wacom has the best feel and the best pen technology - they have a couple cheap kinds in the 60 to 80 dollar range.
Personally, I use a huion monitor tablet and I am not the biggest fan. I'm hoping one day to save enough money to purchase a wacom equivalent.

Also I can't believe you did that all with a mouse, it would be so difficult :eek: I definitely wouldn't be able to do it. Incredible work

Lunaris

The Cookie Connoisseur
Definitely get the tablet when you can, you'll see remarkable improvement. While I'm not the biggest fan of brands, wacom has the best feel and the best pen technology - they have a couple cheap kinds in the 60 to 80 dollar range.
Personally, I use a huion monitor tablet and I am not the biggest fan. I'm hoping one day to save enough money to purchase a wacom equivalent.

Also I can't believe you did that all with a mouse, it would be so difficult :eek: I definitely wouldn't be able to do it. Incredible work

My lines were definitely super shaky on the first day, so I spent a fair amount not time just drawing circles and spirals to get my lines less terribad :p

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
My lines were definitely super shaky on the first day, so I spent a fair amount not time just drawing circles and spirals to get my lines less terribad :p

That's clever, practice makes perfect! I also love to watch artists on youtube or gesture drawings, if you ever get a chance definitely give that a shot, too. It's kinda fun to challenge yourself. Got any new art today? :)

Lunaris

The Cookie Connoisseur
That's clever, practice makes perfect! I also love to watch artists on youtube or gesture drawings, if you ever get a chance definitely give that a shot, too. It's kinda fun to challenge yourself. Got any new art today? :)
I might do some a bit later if I have time before work :3

zenmaldita

always hungry
Recent Worst: Sunset

Sunset is...an eyesore...colorwise.
It was one of my first colored art since joining FA after years of not drawing anything decent because I was busy trying to be a normal dayjob holding taxpaying citizen.
It was my return-to-art piece and I was obviously out of practice with the shitty lighting. I don't know how to improve it as of now (besides, use better colors and study lighting more)

Labor of Love: Chairman

Chairman may be my best rendered art but I don't consider it my best work. It was my way of waking up all the skill I've forgotten from years of neglect.
It's the "I still got it" piece, but it was not the style that I would consider mine. It felt like a copy of reality and didn't feel artistic enough.
The only thing I wish I could've improved more is the lighting against the backrest. Somehow it's a shame to loose so much detail to shadow.

Recent Middle Ground: Last Bus

It was the first of it's kind in my gallery and I consider it as an experimental piece. I was in a really bad place when I made this and I was struggling to get back to drawing.
I suppose all my pent up frustration and self blaming went into the art; it shows that I didn't really bother to polish it. However it paved the way to find an art style I'm interested in developing.

Recent Best: Vineyard

Vineyard is a beloved piece. I'm really happy with how this turned out.
I also feel like I've learned how to use colors better here - using reds and blues in various strengths as light and shading instead of being dependent on layers of color in various opacities and blending styles.
It's not perfect and I'm still working on how to improve it but it's a happy piece and it makes me feel good.

coldbrew

Nitro coldbrew whenever!
Ok let's humiliate myself and go back to 2009 when I first discovered Wacom and digital painting (though what I did--and even now--barely constitutes as that lmao).

Old Worst:
_2009_05_11__lustrous_ordnance_by_kaboomduck-dcm0l5t.jpg

Well wtf was I thinking? Oh right, got carried away by burning and dodging the living hell out of....stark white colors? :D:D:D:rolleyes: Anyways I was high off the joys of another piece (see bottom) and thought I can replicate that style with other mechs. I was writing a story at that time and wanted to illustrate the mechs, even tried drawing a graphic novel but as many lofty young high school projects oft end, they all failed :)

Old Best:
_2009_03_6__dimitri_by_kaboomduck-dcm0l9u.jpg

The image that started the descend into mech hell. This guy's the instigator of like 3 other mech images and a lot other uncolored sketches. It's still a fond memory of discovering the joy of digital art and being able to create something cool in my untrained eyes, but heck, I still love this XD It's because of this guy I ended up pursuing writing, drawing and sketching more confidently than ever before. I did draw furries (or anthros, as I didn't know what furries were), but it's these clunky mechs that stuck with me most as a kid at school.

New IT-COULD'VE-BEEN-GREAT Worst:
1519780190.coldbrew_207452f6-f4d1-47bd-8443-4004d1711d70.jpeg

Well let's see, VALUES. Underestimated so much and regretted so much. I had an image in mind, and time and skill butchered my vision. And to think this was a commission. Dude if you're reading this, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love it still though for it gave me the courage and excitement to do bigger works! They're real fun, and I wouldn't mind tackling another one given the chance, and will do one for a personal piece as well. It's kinda like building giant dioramas in LEGO. Once you try it, you're hooked XD

New Hey-I'm-Happy-With-This Best:
1535314620.coldbrew_3065883f-f41f-451d-8158-8b33e589709b.png

Sure it's fanart, sure it's not a complete illustration or something, but I am completely satisfied at the time this took and the way it looked, particularly on rendering. None of that marker-y style I used to have, and I learnt a lot from this. Gotta push more on values and a lot others, but I like where this is headed!

faerr

ʄǟɛʀʀ - freelance artist
Recent Worst: Sunset
Sunset is...an eyesore...colorwise.
It was one of my first colored art since joining FA after years of not drawing anything decent because I was busy trying to be a normal dayjob holding taxpaying citizen.
It was my return-to-art piece and I was obviously out of practice with the shitty lighting. I don't know how to improve it as of now (besides, use better colors and study lighting more)

Labor of Love: Chairman

Chairman may be my best rendered art but I don't consider it my best work. It was my way of waking up all the skill I've forgotten from years of neglect.
It's the "I still got it" piece, but it was not the style that I would consider mine. It felt like a copy of reality and didn't feel artistic enough.
The only thing I wish I could've improved more is the lighting against the backrest. Somehow it's a shame to loose so much detail to shadow.

Recent Middle Ground: Last Bus

It was the first of it's kind in my gallery and I consider it as an experimental piece. I was in a really bad place when I made this and I was struggling to get back to drawing.
I suppose all my pent up frustration and self blaming went into the art; it shows that I didn't really bother to polish it. However it paved the way to find an art style I'm interested in developing.

Recent Best: Vineyard

Vineyard is a beloved piece. I'm really happy with how this turned out.
I also feel like I've learned how to use colors better here - using reds and blues in various strengths as light and shading instead of being dependent on layers of color in various opacities and blending styles.
It's not perfect and I'm still working on how to improve it but it's a happy piece and it makes me feel good.

I wish I could provide you with a meaningful critique, but you have a beautiful style that's present in all of your pieces. Sunset may have the "worst colours", but you have a stronger sense of colour than I.
I simply could not have done this piece better. You are a wonderful artist, with an envious amount of skill :D

Your labour of love, Chairman, demonstrates those same strengths and patience you have in your work. And Vineyard is stunning work, as is Last Bus. Keep on being so amazing, damn!

Ok let's humiliate myself and go back to 2009 when I first discovered Wacom and digital painting (though what I did--and even now--barely constitutes as that lmao).

Well wtf was I thinking? Oh right, got carried away by burning and dodging the living hell out of....stark white colors? :D:D:D:rolleyes: Anyways I was high off the joys of another piece (see bottom) and thought I can replicate that style with other mechs. I was writing a story at that time and wanted to illustrate the mechs, even tried drawing a graphic novel but as many lofty young high school projects oft end, they all failed :)

The image that started the descend into mech hell. This guy's the instigator of like 3 other mech images and a lot other uncolored sketches. It's still a fond memory of discovering the joy of digital art and being able to create something cool in my untrained eyes, but heck, I still love this XD It's because of this guy I ended up pursuing writing, drawing and sketching more confidently than ever before. I did draw furries (or anthros, as I didn't know what furries were), but it's these clunky mechs that stuck with me most as a kid at school.

Well let's see, VALUES. Underestimated so much and regretted so much. I had an image in mind, and time and skill butchered my vision. And to think this was a commission. Dude if you're reading this, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love it still though for it gave me the courage and excitement to do bigger works! They're real fun, and I wouldn't mind tackling another one given the chance, and will do one for a personal piece as well. It's kinda like building giant dioramas in LEGO. Once you try it, you're hooked XD

Sure it's fanart, sure it's not a complete illustration or something, but I am completely satisfied at the time this took and the way it looked, particularly on rendering. None of that marker-y style I used to have, and I learnt a lot from this. Gotta push more on values and a lot others, but I like where this is headed!

> "Humiliate yourself"
> proceeds to post beautiful work and shows exactly how far you've come

Haha, well, you know I'm a huge fan of yours, @coldbrew. Your old work was inexperienced (I love that you were burn and dodge obsessed too, you're my kindred spirit), but I'll be damned if you weren't well on your way to becoming an incredible artist.
I love your stark memories of these pieces, I'm glad they inspired you to keep on.
Your It-Could've-Been-Great-Worst piece is actually stunning, and required more skill in one pinky finger than I have in my entire art body. LOL

Great work, impressive stuff. <3 I'm jealous of all you guys

coldbrew

Nitro coldbrew whenever!
@faerr you’re killing me here with all your sweet words ;w; thank you so much, and hey I’m a huge fan of yours too!!! I’m sure everyone’s got a piece or two from childhood that they hold dearly in their heart as inspiration for their passion in art :3

(And woooo, you’re part of the burn and dodge brigade too! XD)

Thanks again for the comment, you’ve really made my day! :D

zenmaldita

always hungry
(And woooo, you’re part of the burn and dodge brigade too! XD)
i feel everyone had been dependent on the good ole burn and dodge in some era of their lives haha it's like magic yknow

also cold brew, i get you at your IT COULDVE BEEN GREAT art. You have solid work there - the colors and lighting just gave away. The intricate details on the teeth of the monsters below and the surviving character's solid anatomy is fine work. If only you could redo it