• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Lifestyle, none fur versus fur.

Saki_Fox_Takeda

I come with cookies and in search of new life.
So, I am pretty new to actually being involved in the fur community aside from just sitting on the side lines. So, I wanted to ask a few things about suiting to help me better understand the community.

Taboo's: What are the no no's when suited up. Aside from the common sense one's. What are the taboo's I should keep in mind while suited up. Interacting with the public and in suits. While I am a male, I will be playing a female character, how should I stay in character and someone might assume I am a female underneath?

It is morning time, so I am sure I will think of questions latter in the thread, but for now let me start with this one question above.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

So, I am pretty new to actually being involved in the fur community aside from just sitting on the side lines. So, I wanted to ask a few things about suiting to help me better understand the community.

Taboo's: What are the no no's when suited up. Aside from the common sense one's. What are the taboo's I should keep in mind while suited up. Interacting with the public and in suits. While I am a male, I will be playing a female character, how should I stay in character and someone might assume I am a female underneath?

It is morning time, so I am sure I will think of questions latter in the thread, but for now let me start with this one question above.

0 speaking
0 souds
No means no
Yes still means no
Seriously, no
Don't be that guy
Act like a mascot would in public but keep it low key

S

Sergei Sóhomo

LOl thanks Sergei, so keep the mindset of sort of like....a....suited mime?

Essentially yes

Just remember that the general public is weary about masked figures that look like animals. Have fun and all that, but remember not to be too unbearable to watch. Things I would consider avoiding are:

Squeaking
Acting like a manchild
Tantrums
Flailing

But if you've got some sick dance skills then it's highly encouraged or really anything like that

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
The only actual taboos would be using your anonymity to be destructive and push boundaries. Just because you are cute and dressed up doesn't mean you can "adorably" start harassing people, running off with peoples belongings, going into rooms or spaces you aren't allowed, etc.
Talking, squeaking, being obnoxious is fine- if, as you can see above, not loved by all. Some people think adding animal sounds to the mix is cute. Some people prefer to stay dead silent. Some talk. Some abhor the idea of talking. It depends on what you want for your own style and the character you're portraying.

Also, if you have crap visibility and dexterity, I highly suggest not going into the fray without a handler to help guide you / toss you water bottles / keep you from bashing your tail into expensive breakable things.

Another debatable taboo is removing your head in public. People consider it "ruining the magic", ruining the illusion of the character for those observing. I'm personally not a fan of people who casually do so, but by all means do so if it's for your own well being (ie: overheating, need to communicate something and the suit is muffling, getting dizzy, cant drink water through the head). At furry events there are usually designated headless areas for de-suiting in a non magic-breaking way.

The fact that you're a man portraying a female character really isn't a worry, it's rather common.

Just be safe, keep hydrated, and try not to break anything. :3

Saki_Fox_Takeda

The only actual taboos would be using your anonymity to be destructive and push boundaries. Just because you are cute and dressed up doesn't mean you can "adorably" start harassing people, running off with peoples belongings, going into rooms or spaces you aren't allowed, etc.
Talking, squeaking, being obnoxious is fine- if, as you can see above, not loved by all. Some people think adding animal sounds to the mix is cute. Some people prefer to stay dead silent. Some talk. Some abhor the idea of talking. It depends on what you want for your own style and the character you're portraying.

Also, if you have crap visibility and dexterity, I highly suggest not going into the fray without a handler to help guide you / toss you water bottles / keep you from bashing your tail into expensive breakable things.

Another debatable taboo is removing your head in public. People consider it "ruining the magic", ruining the illusion of the character for those observing. I'm personally not a fan of people who casually do so, but by all means do so if it's for your own well being (ie: overheating, need to communicate something and the suit is muffling, getting dizzy, cant drink water through the head). At furry events there are usually designated headless areas for de-suiting in a non magic-breaking way.

The fact that you're a man portraying a female character really isn't a worry, it's rather common.

Thank you Keeroh, some of that was already kind of a obvious one for me, but others I didn't realize. I am planning to use a lycra suit with some obvious padding for reasons, ie; hips, butt, and breasts. But I can see where not realizing you needed a handler for my fluffy tail. I had not really planned on removing my head, until I was in my room. And even then, well depends on certain obvious reasons that I might that I wont go into lol. But yeah I heard my big concern as going to be staying hydrated. So yeah I see where I would need to remove my head for that.

Saki_Fox_Takeda

Don't wear it out in public if it's not a furry event.

Unless you want to be featured on People of Wal-Mart.
LOL Well I was planning on it be worn for the after hour events for Dragon con. Yeah I have....how should I say, been some what, pointed out on social media and some forums before, that is not fun, and I don't plan on appearing on the "People of Walmart."

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
Thank you Keeroh, some of that was already kind of a obvious one for me, but others I didn't realize. I am planning to use a lycra suit with some obvious padding for reasons, ie; hips, butt, and breasts. But I can see where not realizing you needed a handler for my fluffy tail. I had not really planned on removing my head, until I was in my room. And even then, well depends on certain obvious reasons that I might that I wont go into lol. But yeah I heard my big concern as going to be staying hydrated. So yeah I see where I would need to remove my head for that.
If you have a fursuit head with an actual open mouth, it's pretty easy to maneuver a really long straw into your mouth. Really the hardest part is fumbling with your paws for the water. So, if you are not planning on talking, I'd really suggest getting some form of hydration backpack and feeding the tube up the neck of your suit and into, or near, your mouth. That way you don't have to fret too much and can be the most hydrated fluffbutt out there.
But then you'll have to pee, which is a whole other adventure entirely.

If you plan on wearing clothes over your suit, it's easy to conceal a hydration pack. And lots of people just wear it openly over their fursuit~

Saki_Fox_Takeda

If you have a fursuit head with an actual open mouth, it's pretty easy to maneuver a really long straw into your mouth. Really the hardest part is fumbling with your paws for the water. So, if you are not planning on talking, I'd really suggest getting some form of hydration backpack and feeding the tube up the neck of your suit and into, or near, your mouth. That way you don't have to fret too much and can be the most hydrated fluffbutt out there.
But then you'll have to pee, which is a whole other adventure entirely.

If you plan on wearing clothes over your suit, it's easy to conceal a hydration pack. And lots of people just wear it openly over their fursuit~

Well this is the look I am going to be going for Keeroh. (Wags my tail happily.)
Cosplay.Ayano.WonderFestival2015.08.jpg

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Cute is heavily subjective here
It's really not and most of the public will think you're mentally retarded if you imitate Telephone
Kind of is a big concern considering if he decides to remove his mask thing in public people are probably going to vilify him since it's a dude dressed as a female animal thing

But keeping hydrated is key

Don't wear it out in public if it's not a furry event.

Unless you want to be featured on People of Wal-Mart.

This is another valid option

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
Cute is heavily subjective here
It's really not and most of the public will think you're mentally retarded if you imitate Telephone
Kind of is a big concern considering if he decides to remove his mask thing in public people are probably going to vilify him since it's a dude dressed as a female animal thing

But keeping hydrated is key
The whole thing is subjective. Lots of people adore and find Telephone amusing, in fandom and out. Some don't. You clearly have very strong opinions on squeaking. Just figured it'd be helpful to offer a less vitriolic view. However, if they put some god damn squeakers in their shoes or bells on their tail so they make noise with every movement they make, I will find them and end them. Those people are awful human beings who revel in the cacophony.

I can second the note to not de-head if you're outside a furry event, though. That can get... really weird. And most well-adjusted, non-furry people do not know the standard on not taking pictures of suiters while they're exposing their inner fleshy face. Especially if you've made your character particularly voluptuous. They might not pass up the opportunity to take a picture of a dude in a costume with giant fluffy ta-tas on the street.

Saki_Fox_Takeda

So ok, check and check on all the great help and suggestions, and I will for sure head the advice of the elder Alpha's but....what or who is Telephone?

S

Sergei Sóhomo

So ok, check and check on all the great help and suggestions, and I will for sure head the advice of the elder Alpha's but....what or who is Telephone?

An obnoxious manchild who squeaks

The whole thing is subjective. Lots of people adore and find Telephone amusing, in fandom and out. Some don't. You clearly have very strong opinions on squeaking. Just figured it'd be helpful to offer a less vitriolic view. However, if they put some god damn squeakers in their shoes or bells on their tail so they make noise with every movement they make, I will find them and end them. Those people are awful human beings who revel in the cacophony.

I can second the note to not de-head if you're outside a furry event, though. That can get... really weird. And most well-adjusted, non-furry people do not know the standard on not taking pictures of suiters while they're exposing their inner fleshy face. Especially if you've made your character particularly voluptuous. They might not pass up the opportunity to take a picture of a dude in a costume with giant fluffy ta-tas on the street.

People outside the fandom are much more likely to get pissed off and think you're nothing more than a child since that's not normal for any person

Saki_Fox_Takeda

Aaaaahh. Yeah....I cant stand obnoxiousness behavior, and I seriously don't think Krystal Fox squeaks. I imagine her to be more of a bashful shy type that is happy around cute stuff and cute furrys.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
Never use your suit for sex. Never nononono.

Because it disrespects the artist, it disgusting to other furs and worse yet, when the public finds out that cute furry their child is hugging was fucking in suit last night it causes so much trouble.

M

Matohusky

All my interaction with the fandom is been via online. I have been to Meets and even a Con in the past but they weren't my cup of tea.

I would only use the meet as a meeting point to meet 1 or 2 friends then leave.

Marijuana Iguana

Essentially yes

Just remember that the general public is weary about masked figures that look like animals. Have fun and all that, but remember not to be too unbearable to watch. Things I would consider avoiding are:

Squeaking
Acting like a manchild
Tantrums
Flailing

But if you've got some sick dance skills then it's highly encouraged or really anything like that

I thought most suiters acted like manchilds. Or would it be menchildren?
Also, I see no reason not to talk while suiting.

zidders

Respect peoples boundaries.
Be kind.

That's pretty much it. As far as how you behave as your character in regards to talking/not talking? Ignore people who tell you it's taboo to not talk. Screw that. That's one of the stupidest things I've heard. Furry conventions aren't like Disney World. It's not like you're in a wonderland of magic. You're surrounded by tired, grumpy often smelly weirdo's most of whom could give a crap if you decide to talk to some little kid or not. As long as you're asking parents permission first before talking to them and not wearing a murrsuit in public it's all good.

I seriously wish people would stop that whole 'don't talk in suit or you're a shitty person' nonsense. It's annoying.