• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

like cryptids? like monsters? check out the demo for my game!

vaguelymj

Hey everyone! I'm currently working on my first game, a visual novel and dating sim called Cryptid Crew. If you like cryptids and monsters, this is the visual novel for you!

The Story:
You're a freshly-bitten werewolf who's embraced their monster life... but what kind of life is it without friends? Do some traveling, meet some cool monsters and cryptids, and even go on dates! Each section of this visual novel will add a new monster to your list of friends until you've got yourself a wicked cool crew. And then you can date them. So really, it's a win-win.

The demo's out now, and can be downloaded here!

While the demo only features a snarky demon and a cute alien, the full game has cryptids like Mothman and the Loch Ness Monster, along with original characters like werewolves, vampires, and slime monsters! In total, there's 10 dateable characters: 3 girls, 4 guys, and 3 non-binary pals.

You can find out more about the game on Tumblr and Twitter! There's also a Patreon for those who are interested in supporting the game's development, too.

Stratelier

But is there a plot? Other than dating friends, I mean. Romance is one of those genres that either you're into or you're just not.

vaguelymj

But is there a plot? Other than dating friends, I mean. Romance is one of those genres that either you're into or you're just not.
The game is split up into two parts. The first is a roadtrip through the US, where the player has the potential to make friends with the romanceable characters, while also also dealing with their lycanthropy throughout the trip. After the road trip is over, the dating sim part is unlocked. I'm still figuring out the exact plot of the dating sim part of the game, to be honest.

vaguelymj

Well i would imagine you can either be a jerk to some of the characters or pursue actual romance with them.
Exactly! You can be as rude as you want to them, and to almost everyone you interact with in the game. Though you do get judged if you're rude to the romanceable characters ^-^

Trevorbluesquirrel

Demo was looking interesting.....................

But then I encountered a fatal flaw!

Unless I missed it, then their's no option to turn off skipping!

I like being able to go back and forth at times to read things again!

I even tried just starting a new game, and it still skipped!

That makes it horribly unplayable!

If skipping can't be turned off, this game will get very annoying very fast!

Thanks for reading my concern!

vaguelymj

Demo was looking interesting.....................

But then I encountered a fatal flaw!

Unless I missed it, then their's no option to turn off skipping!

I like being able to go back and forth at times to read things again!

I even tried just starting a new game, and it still skipped!

That makes it horribly unplayable!

If skipping can't be turned off, this game will get very annoying very fast!

Thanks for reading my concern!

Thanks for pointing this out! I just checked and it looks like I only have options in the settings to skip all dialogue or skip seen dialogue... I'll definitely see if I can add in an option this week to disable skipping completely, if not for the demo then for sure for the full game!

But just so I'm understanding correctly-- was it skipping automatically for you, and the back button not working? This is the first I've heard about issues with the skipping option/button.

I think I also forgot to disable using the "control" button to toggle skipping for the demo... :/ I'll definitely look into this and upload an update as soon I have the chance. Thanks again for bringing this up! I appreciate it!

vaguelymj

No, the back button worked, but then I couldn't just go forward 1 message at a time like I wanted!

Do you mind if I ask if there was a specific spot you were clicking to go through the dialogue? I'm going to be testing it out today. I'm not sure if I messed up the coordinates for the skip button and there's another place on the screen besides that button that's causing it to skip lol

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Oh boy, another visual novel/dating sim, how original. There's so many of those i swear...
Listen-
I have YET to get my dating sim where I can smooch Loch Ness.
There is a niche that needs to be filled.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Finally someone interested in smooching Nessie! :D Most of the time I get questions about smooching Mothman lol
People know about Mothman enough to request a smooch??

I've been hanging out in the wrong circles. B(

Trevorbluesquirrel

Do you mind if I ask if there was a specific spot you were clicking to go through the dialogue? I'm going to be testing it out today. I'm not sure if I messed up the coordinates for the skip button and there's another place on the screen besides that button that's causing it to skip lol

I was at COOKIE DOUGH AND HUMAN FLESH.

I went back to look at the art again, and then going forward it skips because you can't disable it!

Even starting a new game or redownloading the program doesn't stop it from skipping what you've seen!

So, even if you played through once without going back at all, you couldn't play through again, as it would skip every scene because you've seen all the dialogue!

vaguelymj

Why was automatic skipping even a thing to begin with? This is something that must be left at the PLAYER's discretion.
Honestly I don't know how! I had it set up so it only skipped if you pressed the skip button, so I'm looking into why it's just. Doing it automatically :x it didn't auto skip for me and none of the beta testers mentioned it :)
But it is going to be fixed!

vaguelymj

No, the back button worked, but then I couldn't just go forward 1 message at a time like I wanted!

Alright, so I disabled everything I suspected would cause it to skip on its own. Now, the only way to skip should just be the skip button next to the back button. I just uploaded the new version to Itch.

I would also double check the settings, too, to make sure "skip seen" is highlighted instead of "skip all." It should be the default, but you never know! lol

Thanks again for letting me know about that issue! I hoped I actually ended up fixing it since I wasn't able to recreate the problem myself.

Trevorbluesquirrel

Well, I've found another problem now!

Every time a choice comes up, I get an error message!

This is the 1st one!

AN EXCEPTION HAS OCCURRED

WHILE RUNNING GAME CODE

FILE ''GAME/SCRIPT.RPY'', LINE 374 IN SCRIPT

EXCEPTION: UNKNOWN KEYWORD ARGUMENTS: ITEMS

FULL TRACEBACK

The other 2 are the same, except they say ''LINE 456 and LINE 615.''

It gives choices to rollback, ignore, or quit.

The game then ends at the HP point, since you get Game Over from not getting to make a choice!

Don't suppose anyone else has had this, but that's what I'm getting!

vaguelymj

Well, I've found another problem now!

Every time a choice comes up, I get an error message!

This is the 1st one!

AN EXCEPTION HAS OCCURRED

WHILE RUNNING GAME CODE

FILE ''GAME/SCRIPT.RPY'', LINE 374 IN SCRIPT

EXCEPTION: UNKNOWN KEYWORD ARGUMENTS: ITEMS

FULL TRACEBACK

The other 2 are the same, except they say ''LINE 456 and LINE 615.''

It gives choices to rollback, ignore, or quit.

The game then ends at the HP point, since you get Game Over from not getting to make a choice!

Don't suppose anyone else has had this, but that's what I'm getting!

That same thing just came up when I ran it through to the first choice... Not sure why, considering I didn't touch any of the choice code, but. ugh. I'm so sorry this is happening with your experiences D: but also thank you so much for letting me know. It's definitely an issue other people would get :c I put the old version back up just to be safe while I figure out what's going on.