• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

List of web browser plugins Deprecated, Discontinued & Extinct with the rise of HTML5 & HTTPS.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Also, supporting modified or unofficial HTML4 & HTTP client & server software is FROWNED UPON, not only to both the W3C & WHATWG, but also to book publishers that published books related to the older HTML versions in the Mid-1990s to Late-2000s.
Um, you think you might want to retract those statements? W3C and WHATWG aren't the Internet Police. They may recommend you follow their conventions when writing code but they're not going to give you a ticket and shut down your website because you didn't strictly follow their code. Modified HTTP code only means my browser won't work correctly with your website (your loss not mine) and improperly coded HTML4 just means I can't see your site as you would want it to display. Again, not my loss. Only someone with no clue would code improper HTML or HTTP code.

And, I have all the mentioned manuals in my library.

<edit>
Forgot to add, Adobe issued an update for Flash Player that actually uninstalls it from your system. How's that for a timebomb?
</edit>
(my unofficial HTML5 contribution)

The main reasons that I've said that it is frowned upon to support HTML4 & HTTP after W3C & WHATWG ended their own respective support for is as follows:

- Companies based in Mainland China probably don't want to spend the time, money or resources necessary to transition from the aging HTML4 & HTTP technologies to HTML5 & HTTPS, likely due to components the Mainland Chinese Internet Censorship firmware (Software & Hardware) being incompatible with both HTML5 & HTTPS (including later versions of web browsers that utilize both technologies), and the Mainland has more Adobe Flash market share than any other country, even after the vanilla version of Flash Player reached End-of-Life
- HTML4 & HTTP doesn't seem to be a high priority to both the W3C & WHATWG at this point, at least not officially anymore, though that doesn't mean that we should take over development of either aging technology, since it's both the W3C & WHATWG's own work (not our own work), and many companies already made the transition from the aging HTML4 & HTTP technologies to HTML5 & HTTPS, even after Adobe Flash reached end-of-life outside of Mainland China, and these companies already blacklisted support for earlier versions of many popular browsers such as Mozilla Firefox & Internet Explorer
- Outdated web browsers are not the best way of exploring the modern web, due to HTML5 coding blacklisting earlier versions of many popular web browsers, as well as the blacklisting of discontinued web browsers
- Lastly, this may be an unpopular or less controversial reason, but since then the old SGML parser in HTML4 & the standalone HTML5 Parser are now a thing when it comes to older web browsers & websites still active that utilize newer HTML technologies since the early-2010s. So technically you would think that this kind of mirrors the NTSC & PAL/SECAM differences & regional lockout tactics used by home video formats including BetaMax, VHS, CED, LaserDisc, Video CD, DVD, HD DVD & the original version of the Blu-Ray Disc format at the time, and you would be technically correct. Anything that was made during HTML4 with the older SGML parser will work on any modern web browser, but anything that's made using HTML5 with it's own standalone parser introduced in the early-2010s are going to be pure-exclusive to HTML5 & won't even work nice with HTML4 web browsers with the older SMGL parser. For example, all the versions of Netscape made between 1994 to 2008, the Windows versions of Apple's Safari browser made between 2007 to 2012, many earlier Internet Explorer-based web browsers released between the late-1990s to mid-2000s are not going to be compatible with HTML5-exclusive content due to differences between the older SGML parser & the HTML5 standalone parser, unless you count Browservice as an emulator for operating systems older than Windows XP that requires you to hook your Linux machine to a Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME & 2000 machine. So technically speaking HTML5 & HTTPS is technically DRM but only for blacklisting older versions of many web browsers such as Internet Explorer or all the versions of the Netscape browser.

There may be other reasons I've said this, but these are the main reasons I've said this for now.

Last edited:
Also, a lot of Flash games planning to be released between 2017 to 2020 ended up being moved to a different engine. In the case for 3D games, 3D Flash games utilizing Stage3D would've moved development to Unreal Engine, Unity, CryEngine, GoDot, Unigine or Gamebryo instead. In the case for 2D games, many 2D Flash games that would've utilized it would've moved to Unity, Gamemaker Studio, Clickteam Fusion, Adventure Game Studio (AGS), Ren'Py or RPG Maker instead.

Even the Henry Stickmin game Completing the Mission was exclusive to the Henry Stickmin Collection on Steam, as that never had a free Flash version available.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
The main reasons that I've said that it is frowned upon to support HTML4 & HTTP after W3C & WHATWG ended their own respective support for is as follows:
<snip for brevity>
W3C and WHATWG do not support or control coding. They only put forth what they think (key word) is the best coding practices. That is all.

And you don't particularly need SSL (Secure Socket Layer, old technology) or TLS (Transport Layer Security) for your website, if it's not used for commerce or contains secure or sensitive data. why pay for a Server-Side Digital Certificate for a website that offers up your collection of home-made jam recipes? Forget to update your cert? Website becomes inaccessible. I don't know how many of my few-dozen clients call saying the website is down only to have me point out their certificate expired and they were warned months before by multiple emails.