• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Livestreams?

KarmaLarma

Slacks'loth
I've noticed more and more people wanting livestreams in order to commission an artist, whether public ones where you pay right away and watch or private ones where the commissioner and artist agree on a time for a one on one session for the drawing. I never really saw this happening until the most recent couple of years so I just wondered, why is this so widespread? I've even seen people say they won't commission people unless they can watch the progress via livestream and it just seems like a very odd thing to require, especially regarding very basic things like chibis and simple sketches.

So does anyone know what made this so popular? Do you livestream often/tend to sit in on art livestreams a lot?

UBA

Digital Artist
So does anyone know what made this so popular? Do you livestream often/tend to sit in on art livestreams a lot?

I believe it is because it allows for a more interactive experience for both the artist and commissioner. Being able to request revisions while a sketch is being drawn saves a lot of potential back and forth via email.

However I don't feel that an artist is obligated to offer streaming as part of a commission. Some of us just don't have enough spare time to dedicate to a live streaming session. That being said, a commissioner still has every right to request such things since they are paying for it. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker if the commissioner really digs the artist's style.

So my point is: streaming is great, but not always possible. And sometimes you'll need to negotiate with a commissioner to see if they're cool with hiring an artist that doesn't stream. If the artist's skill is there, then this shouldn't be a deal breaker for the commissioner.

That's my two cents on the matter :)

-UBA

KarmaLarma

Slacks'loth
I believe it is because it allows for a more interactive experience for both the artist and commissioner. Being able to request revisions while a sketch is being drawn saves a lot of potential back and forth via email.

-UBA

Ohh that makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately my laptop can't handle the vast majority of streaming software, hah. Not to mention for anything larger than a sketch or simple busts, I don't generally want to sit there and do the whole thing in one sitting, especially not one after another. But good to know it's not slowly edging me out of commission work. I do get the fun aspect of it though. On my old computer I'd do little doodle streams for roleplay buddies and such where I'd just take random requests, so I imagine that still carries over to the fun of an artist drawing something of your character on commission, albeit a lot longer to sit and watch.

Thanks for answering!

Tigers-on-Unicycles

National Treasure
Personally, I understand why they ask for it (what UBA said), but I often get nervous when livestreaming and don't perform very well. I get slow, I end up erasing a lot, it's not particularly fun to watch, etc. But hey. Everyone is different.