• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

LOGO Network: WHAT?! i Think I'm an Animal

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
View the documentary here:

http://www.logotv.com/video/what-i-think-im-an-animal/1706138/playlist.jhtml#vid=902354

I found it pretty cringeworthy, personally, and was surprised when fellow fur friends were fine with it, or even liked it.

Not nearly as bad as other furry documentaries in the past, mind you, but still makes furries (since the distinction between furries and therians isn't made *too* clear) look like weird, sad, dysfunctional shut-ins.

Thoughts?

Kosdu

Trying to watch on phone, damn you Apple!

If it makes furries look like dysfunctional shut ins, it's confusing therians with something else. Take my word for it.

Therians should not be confused with Otherkin.

Not nearly as bad as other furry documentaries in the past, mind you, but still makes furries (since the distinction between furries and therians isn't made *too* clear) look like weird, sad, dysfunctional shut-ins.

Thoughts?

I think I've seen too many stupid furries being stupid to even be surprised at shit like this anymore.

I just... don't even really care anymore.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Ohh look, another documentary about furrys from yet another network starving for ratings.

Haven't you guys figured out the end result from every single one of these "documentaries"?

Chago

This has happened so many times. They always fail, and they will continue failing. This one doesn't matter really, because nobody watches that shitty channel.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
hmmm its paradox from furcast. Also I'm a furry, I also a human. I do not believe I am a animal, look at it me, I'm a human. Do I wish I could live in a furry world, maybe... Also there is a distinct difference between furry and therian. hmmmmm

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
Just finished it, at least they usually say therian instead of furry. Didn't specify that furries don't think they are animals though. And at least they didn't just make it about the yiffing.

I wonder how some of those people would actually do out in the wild

Last edited:

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
boy they sure dredged these losers up from the bottom of a barrel. what the fuck did i just watch?

ON ALL LEVELS EXCEPT PHYSICAL, I AM A WOLF

yeah, sure, whatever you say jim-bob.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
... that video gave me cancer...
Those are not furries. At least, not for me.
Someone who says they've always felt there was "an animal inside" them, or "I've always felt more like a *animal species here*" should be placed in a container and shipped to a secluded place somewhere...

TigerBeacon

Internet Hate Machine
I really couldn't bear to watch the first minute in.

And then figuring I'd learn something informative, watched the first seven minutes.

I'm going to need a pretty damn good reason to bother watching the rest. It looks too stupid to bother.

EDIT:

I stand corrected. I think this is pretty much all that needs to be said.

WOLFEHINMOOLITE_zpsefd25687.jpg

Last edited:

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Oh, good, so it wasn't just me ;).

Here are excerpts from my two initial responses, posted elsewhere:

My first thought is that these kids are a) young and b) geeky, and c) socially awkward. Speaking very generally, when you're "that age," you want to feel significant and special; you want to fulfill the great potential you feel you have; you really feel like your thoughts, theories, and opinions are all shockingly profound and profoundly unique; and you have a skewed perception of how others see you, and why they see you that way.

Geeky kids are likelier to get into "weird" or "odd" hobbies, because they're often more intelligent, more sensitive, more creative, and more socially out-of-step, when compared to their peers.

(Well, and one guy's got Aspergers, and that's a whole 'nother kettle of cod.)

On the positive side, furries and therians at least weren't depicted as crazed sex perverts. On the negative side, though, I think the average viewer will come away with the impression that furries/therians are sad, deluded (or even, out-and-out delusional), and socially-maladjusted.

Me, I'd almost rather people assume I'm a malicious sex pervert than a poor, sweet, sad crazy person who needs to be patted on the head and gently reintegrated back into society.

In any case, neither outcome is good. On the positive side, the documentary didn't openly sneer at or mock its participants. On the negative side, it did patronize them.

Contrast this documentary with a pretty decent one, here: http://vimeo.com/17995012, called Furries: An Inside Look.

What I liked about Furries: An Inside Look, is that the respondents generally come across as well-adjusted, self-aware, and self-reflective, especially compared to the people in the LOGO documentary.

In general, the "Furries" participants answer the documentarian's questions in a way that signals that they:
a) have thought about their own feelings and opinions at length,
b) are aware of other people's opinions and reactions, and have answers for those reactions or responses
c) are aware of the potential flaws, pitfalls, and problems associated with "being furry" or "doing furry," especially in the wrong ways or wrong situations,
d) generally seem to be aware of the larger world in which they live
e) have a sense of humor about themselves.
f) appear to be socially, educationally, emotionally, psychologically, and vocationally well-adjusted overall.

They also generally don't come across as if they're just trying to "escape" from life, reality, or themselves. Rather, they pretty much come across like healthy, happy, socially-active, well-adjusted people who have a particular talent or interest that serves as an additional source of fun and empowerment.

The LOGO documentary, in contrast, made the participants look like they are trying to hide or escape from the world, and/or like they're oblivious to it. The respondents don't do much to acknowledge the potential pitfalls or problems with their lifestyle or world view; don't have responses ready for their potential critics; and don't even seem to be aware of how their critics might actually see them, and why.

They also tended to be deadly self-serious in a way that actually tends to prevent other people from actually taking you seriously!

Take Shiro Wolf, for example. His name change seemed to be driven largely by black-and-white emotion and impulse---"I feel this way, therefore I must act on the feeling in X way NOW"---and he didn't act like he'd really and seriously considered all the ins, outs, and problems associated with changing his name, and he didn't act like he took his mom's concerns seriously. When his mom nagged/lectured him about the possible problems, he grumpily stonewalled her. The typical viewer will look at those interactions in the documentary, and say, "Ah, typical teenager."

I think it'd be interesting to go back and interview the LOGO participants in five years, to see if they've matured.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Oh. Fucking. Dear. Those people need to be taught why they aren't animals on the inside. I mean, what? Changing your name because you feel you're a wolf on the inside? Running around a park pretending to be a leopard? Making wolf noises in public? Deary me.